Nintendo once again proves that, as much as I love them... they're pretty awful sometimes.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It's good to see people with such high morals expressing their views on this site. It's great that Red3agle has never pirated any games themselves nor have they ever bought a used game, never borrowed a game from a friend, or never loaned out any games. They always support Nintendo by purchasing their games brand new or digitally at full price. Good for them!!
There's a big difference between borrowing your friend's game and actively selling modified systems to be used for piracy.

Reactions: Deleted User

morvoran

President-Elect
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a big difference between borrowing your friend's game and actively selling modified systems to be used for piracy.

Yes, there is a difference between selling modified systems and borrowing a game, but that has nothing to do with red3agle's post or mine.

Red3agle said they were against piracy because "by stealing a game your basically stealing $40 from Nintendo". When the topic of supporting developers comes up, people forget that borrowing a game, buying used games, and pirating a game all support the developers the same amount ($0).

I just find it hypocritical to put "pirating" in the same boat as "stealing" from the developers when the same person has no issue with second hand games.

Last edited by morvoran,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Going after companies that try to protect their business by going after those who make a profit from others' hard work.
Nintendo hasn't actually done active development in years, NoJ is a publisher and hardware division and NoE and NoA are just PR fronts for those regions. So "hard work" is hiring a bunch of scummy corporate lawyers to sue people who can't possibly fight back out of every red cent they have.

Muffins

Banned
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo hasn't actually done active development in years, NoJ is a publisher and hardware division and NoE and NoA are just PR fronts for those regions. So "hard work" is hiring a bunch of scummy corporate lawyers to sue people who can't possibly fight back out of every red cent they have.

Well said.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
...I mean by stealing a game your basically stealing $40 from Nintendo.

I agree - by physically stealing a game cartridge/disk you are depriving them of their money.
But piracy is not 'stealing' a physical copy of the game - it's digitally duplicating a physical copy that has already been purchased.

BurningDesire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree - by physically stealing a game cartridge/disk you are depriving them of their money.
But piracy is not 'stealing' a physical copy of the game - it's digitally duplicating a physical copy that has already been purchased.
yes, However that is still $40 Nintendo could of got. Which they didn't because you got it for free. In my mind that is still stealing

0x40

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Selling piracy comes at a cost and can't really fault Nintendo here.
Unless they were selling flashcards with games pre-installed on them, this is by no means "selling piracy." What most flashcards do is bypass DRM, but that in itself is not piracy. Distributing backups is piracy, but using legitimate backups and homebrew is not. There's a big difference.

ric.

Drivin' to meme country
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
My personal policy is to pirate games and then buy them if I like them. Nothing beats a physical copy in my opinion.
That said, I do consider myself a pirate and feel that trying to justify piracy is silly. Is it wrong? Yes, of course. Do I care? Not really.
I can't be mad at Nintendo for protecting their property - especially if someone else is profiting from selling devices that hurt their sales. If they can sue, make some money back, and set a precedent, then good for them.
I wonder what devices the article is talking about though - they show pictures of Wii U games and talk about Wii U sales, and I find that a little strange. It's not like there's any Wii U modchips or anything, at least as far as I know.

BurningDesire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My personal policy is to pirate games and then buy them if I like them. Nothing beats a physical copy in my opinion.
That said, I do consider myself a pirate and feel that trying to justify piracy is silly. Is it wrong? Yes, of course. Do I care? Not really.
I can't be mad at Nintendo for protecting their property - especially if someone else is profiting from selling devices that hurt their sales. If they can sue, make some money back, and set a precedent, then good for them.
I wonder what devices the article is talking about though - they show pictures of Wii U games and talk about Wii U sales, and I find that a little strange. It's not like there's any Wii U modchips or anything, at least as far as I know.
I prefer the term extended demos lol as I kinda do the same thing.

Demifiend

The bored one
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't have a policy for pirate or shit, like, you can say "I pirated this game, and i played it for 30 minutes, i really liked it!, then i bought the game", this is nice, like, i can't refuse this, maybe some companies can't get Demos done, but a person wants to see how a game is before buying it, but here's the thing, would you wait for a console to be hacked, then hack it, and then use piracy to prove how a game is?, that would take longer than necessary but it's worth the effort though, can't deny that.

It is incredible that some people believe that "Oh no, you deprived Nintendo of 40 Dollars, you're the Devil", ah yes, do you think every country is USA?, do you think Nintendo gives a shit about countries that aren't located on EU, NA , KR, China (kinda) and JP?, NO, they don't, all you can look for videogames are imported from other countries + they will also be outdated games with expensive prices.

And even for the people on those regions, it is wrong to assume that every citizen of the entire continent of Europe is able to buy videogames, let alone NA, where people have to pay for Food, House, Water, Electricity, Studies, maintenance, etc. like, taking that out of the question, unless you're really rich, the amount left of money is pretty low, you wouldn't even buy a 3DS game with that.

What about the time needed to buy a game too, or games that are really weird and hard to find?, Cave Story 3D (with everything) costs 200 to 300 dollars, which is insane for a Nintendo 3DS game, and is also really rare, the only way a sane (and normal) person would play this thing is if they download the game from the Internet.

You're in a site about piracy, like, yes, you can't really sugarcoat this site anymore, while the thread of "Homebrew" is debatable as if it should be among the "Piracy" things or not, or that Gbatemp has some other nice things too, like it's active community and interesting threads at times, it doesn't mean that you can go all around saying "Guys, You're stealing maney from Nintendo" when the company, already has enough money.

Why would you pay Nintendo more if they have a shit ton right now?, and even then, i repeat, piracy is not stealing, is copying, which is different, Nintendo wasn't going to get any money from me anyway, but i have the right to use the Hardware i bought from them to do the shit i want to do, since it's my right to modify it, as that is freedom of speech and actions.

As for the thread itself, sorry OP, but i agree with other users regarding this, Nintendo has totally the right to do so, specially when they market towards regions where their own buildings are, they are doing quite the right thing and in fact, i think they have been patient to us, Nintendo could strike Gbatemp if they felt like it, and put this site out of business as they are giving tools to hack Nintendo machines, but they don't, you know why?, because they don't need to target that.

Selling things that are illegal, is naturally, illegal for both the person selling those things, and for Copyright Terms, they aren't being awful here, they are being real, and for a company like Nintendo, i think they have been way too nice to us, being thankful that Square Enix isn't a First Party Developer, if not, they could have shut down any site even mentioning a console of them.

Last edited by Demifiend,
Reactions: Deleted User

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I just no
Yes, there is a difference between selling modified systems and borrowing a game, but that has nothing to do with red3agle's post or mine.

Red3agle said they were against piracy because "by stealing a game your basically stealing $40 from Nintendo". When the topic of supporting developers comes up, people forget that borrowing a game, buying used games, and pirating a game all support the developers the same amount ($0).

I just find it hypocritical to put "pirating" in the same boat as "stealing" from the developers when the same person has no issue with second hand games.
I just noticed they merged the thread :unsure:

Reactions: Muffins

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hey Kennyboy, have you found any decent mini Pc for around $200-250? Fast enough to play most Pc games.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd say save another $100 anythtwith 8core upgradeable ram I'm thinking about ordering the acemagic still
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, I haven't turn on my OG Xbox one in ages, just did now and ofcourse, 32GB update required, gonna take forever.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Edit: nevermind, I forgot I up-ed my internet speed, only 30 min remaining.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Will a mobo with a M2ssd slot work without a M2ssd installed, using a sata ssd temporary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    As long as sata just point bios to boot to it as main drive
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Is that a compilation of you?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    M.2 is more of a luxury you can still boot from Ide if you really wanted to
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I mean as long as the motherboard still has sata ports unless you're still in celeron days
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    wut
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh it has Sata 3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It should still have a Bootable option in bios select drive
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    whats sata?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How you were born
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sata is the type of interface/cable connection of hard drives/disc drives for Pc.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't tell them about old bank drives may explode
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Mini pcs in the 70's
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    128kbs of storage
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do I connect this to my emachine
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The Tattooist of Auschwitz is pretty good so far