Nintendo officially reveals the OLED model Nintendo Switch console

After rumors, claims, and endless debate, Nintendo has proven that it was all true: there is a new Nintendo Switch model coming. Simply titled the Nintendo Switch (OLED model) this version of the console features a 7-inch 720p OLED screen, a new stand for the tablet, 64GB internal storage, "enhanced audio", and a dock that comes with a LAN port. The OLED Switch will retail for $349.99 USD, and launches October 8, 2021.

The system will be available in either white or the traditional Switch colors of neon blue and red. Nintendo's official site refrains from mentioning any new or more powerful processing power over the original Nintendo Switch, and states that the system will max out at 1080p/60fps when docked.

Nintendo Switch (OLED model) console

Nintendo Switch (OLED model) console
Size 102mm x 242mm x 13.9mm (with Joy-Con controllers attached)
Please note: 28.4mm at the thickest, from the tips of the analogue sticks to the ZL/ZR Button protrusions.
Weight Approx. 320g
(With Joy-Con controllers attached: 420g)
Screen Capacitive touch screen / 7-inch OLED / 1280x720 resolution
CPU/GPU NVIDIA customised Tegra processor
System memory 64 GB

You can increase your console's storage with compatible microSD cards (sold separately). For more information on compatible microSD cards, please visit our support section.

Please note: a portion of the internal memory is reserved for use by the system.
Communication features Wireless LAN (IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac compliant) / Bluetooth 4.1
In TV mode, it's also possible to use a wired LAN connection.
Video output Maximum resolution: 1920x1080, 60 fps
Please note: output via HDMI cable in TV mode. In tabletop mode and handheld mode, the maximum resolution is 1280x720, which matches the screen resolution.
Audio output Supports linear PCM 5.1ch
Please note: output via HDMI cable in TV mode.
Speakers Stereo
USB terminal USB Type-C terminal
Used for charging or for connecting to the Nintendo Switch dock.
Audio jack 4 pole stereo 3.5mm mini plug (CTIA standard)
Please note: Nintendo cannot guarantee functionality with all products.
Game card slot Exclusively for Nintendo Switch game cards.
microSD card slot Compatible with microSD, microSDHC and microSDXC memory cards. Please read our microSD Card FAQ for more information on compatible microSD cards.

Please note: an update via an internet connection is required to use microSDXC memory cards.
Sensors Accelerometer / gyroscope / brightness sensor
Operating environment Temperature: 5 - 35°C / Humidity: 20 - 80%
Internal battery Lithium ion battery / battery capacity 4310mAh
Please note: the internal battery cannot be removed. If the battery needs to be replaced, it can be replaced for a fee via Nintendo Customer Support.
Battery life Approx. 4.5-9 hours

The battery life will depend on the games you play. For instance, the battery will last approximately 5.5 hours for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.
Charging time 3 hours approx.
Please note: this is the time taken to charge while the console is in sleep mode.

fadx

Filthy Cheater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not talking about the OLED Switch genius, they're missing out on portable gaming. That's kind of like, maybe, what they said.
I assumed you meant they'd be missing out on the OLED Switch because saying someone is missing out on something they can already do but choose not to because of their preference is a lot more stupid.

Reactions: Pickle_Rick

WG481

Official Waluigi Propagandist
Trophies
Somewhere. Look hard enough and you could find me.
XP
Country
United States
How the hell am I "missing out"? Because I never play my Switch portably? Because I always keep it docked and don't like playing it in portable mode? Sorry, but you're dead wrong.
Playing the switch portably is the titular feature. It’s half of the console’s reason for existing. You are definitely missing out.

Deleted member 514389

GBA Connoisseur
Trophies
Website
f.ls
XP
Country
Germany
Playing the switch portably is the titular feature. It’s half of the console’s reason for existing. You are definitely missing out.
wahhh!

Isn't it up to each and everyone 'how' they use their tech ?

He is enjoying it, that should suffice.
Shouldn't it ?

#Sidenote:
I'm kinda excited to see how the image quality of that new device will be.

I am happy with this. No worries about games only running on the new model == no need to shelve out three hundo + on an upgrade.
I'm surprised so few actually got that.
People are so busy complaining, they didn't realize that.
Ninty is looking out for you folks xD.
They don't want all your money just yet.

300/60 = thats 5 full price games hahaha

Last edited by Deleted member 514389,

TheSpearGuy

can probably play it on Switch
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All these Rumors and Leaks were just to specific to be fake

4K DLSS is definitely going to be in the Nintendos next system
We are already five years into the Switchs lifecycle so we dont have to wait that much longer

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Based on the naming of Switch (OLED), they will probably just call it that, a Switch 2. Unless for some reason, they go with a completely different concept.
well its nintendo so yu never know where they are gona go

gba was a success they went to ds line, 3ds was a success and they extinguished with no direct sucessor.

wii was a sucess and they went with wiiu which ditched the motion controls main controllers in favor of a huge touch screen tablet.

now we have the switch which is a weird beast trying to improve wiiu concept while taking the extinguished portable only line at the same time.

So we never know what nintendo will do next.

they arent like sony or microsoft who made a console and a controller and just went with them, putting more numbers in front of the next gen system and made only slight changes to their main controllers while always keeping their concepts since the first version.

frankGT

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
While upgraded processing sounds great, do we really need the segmentation at this stage of switch's life?

cashboxz01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice screen, I'll buy it. Shame there's no apparent performance increase though.
That's actually a good thing, as core hardware should be standardized for the generation of the console. It makes people who own the launch day console not feel "left out". If a newer revision had a faster CPU, I can guarantee that third party devs would take advantage of that, and many new games would feel crappy on the people who don't own the newest revision of the console.

MrSandstorm

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Wasn't the Tegra X1 going out of production this year? This might have been a board revision to accommodate for that, and they took the opportunity to fix the ridiculous lack of an ethernet port on the dock and throw in a slightly better screen as an excuse for the price hike.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That's actually a good thing, as core hardware should be standardized for the generation of the console. It makes people who own the launch day console not feel "left out". If a newer revision had a faster CPU, I can guarantee that third party devs would take advantage of that, and many new games would feel crappy on the people who don't own the newest revision of the console.
Sure I do see where you're coming from, but at the same time I just wanna play the newest Hyrule Warriors game at something above 20fps ;_;

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Highly interesting. (why didn't that post get more attention ? :mellow:)
Thx. Pixel Shift.
Let's hope Ninty implemented that.

Ninty really is the Apple of the VGindustry.

I have an urge to get it, despite knowing it won't make toast or fill out my tax filings.
Thankfully they're the only company to manage that.
I dunno if pixel shift necessarily prevents burn in or just blurs the edges to make it less noticeable.
I probably over stated it. It helps reduce risk of burn in. Not completly eliminates it. But would be a nice feature to implement on the switch.

I own a oled phone for 2 years which gets used 24/7 and it has no burn in. I think burn in is over exaggerated.

Last edited by SG854,

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
While upgraded processing sounds great, do we really need the segmentation at this stage of switch's life?
of course... the extra power always comes at the middle of the console lifespan to increase it abit.

ds-dsi
3ds-new3ds
ps4-ps4pro
xboxone-xboxone x

you dont release an upgrade close to the beggining or people get mad, or at the end where people are moving on and its loosing interest, you release it at the half life which would be now for the switch, when we start seeing switch selects its when the switch is about to be replaced for a new model.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Right onto uremums 3d printed dildo