1. Iggles

Iggles Newbie
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    So looking forward to this stuff

2. James_

James_ The name's Underscore. James Underscore.

United Kingdom
    Not really getting my hopes up, but hey if we see another Mario & Luigi game in the future that would be pretty cool.

3. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Maniac

Argentina
    Radar Scope says Hi.

4. darkherobrine4u

darkherobrine4u GBAtemp Regular

Poland
    Cool story bro

5. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

United Kingdom
    https://www.giantbomb.com/radar-scope/3030-20776/ was a hit in Japan thts all nintendo would care about and had anyone even heard of Nintendo outside Japan 1979:lol: and how dare you critisize a game early as tht as video games were still in its infant years :D

6. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    Hopefully we get a a game that's not a commercial failure

DarthDub and chartube12 like this.
  7. CrazyFryta

CrazyFryta Member
    Newcomer

Poland
    YASSSSSS

8. chartube12

chartube12 Captain Chaz 86

United States
    this was always an excuse to experiment with paper mario. the turned based combat of the first two paper mario games are nothing alike to mario and luigi’s. I honestly think Nintendo thought the M&L games wouldn’t sell well if paper mario kept to a proper rpg formula.

9. elenarguez

elenarguez GBAtemp Regular

Spain
    I would love for them to release a remake of the second Mario & Luigi, it's such an underrated game...

10. Mr.Faq2015

Mr.Faq2015 /ˈmɪstə ˈfæk/

Argentina
    Oh my, thanks for providing Nintendo's legal address here lol
    Ontopic, reading through it I don't really think this signifies anything new related to M&L. Unless Nintendo decides to start selling themed Mario and Luigi phone covers for whatever reason, the safest assumption would be that it's for brand protection, so that other entities can't do the same

11. DeoNaught

DeoNaught I'm here to steal memes and break dreams

United States
    DON'T GIVE ME FALSE HOPE NINTENDO ;O;

12. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    Knowing Nintendo, this doesn't mean a whole lot. They probably just want to stop ROM hacks and fangames in their tracks, as always.

It would be nice if they gave Paper Mario another chance at the limelight, with Mario & Luigi taking the back seat for a while. I always preferred the story in Paper Mario 1-2 and Super Paper Mario over M&L, and the partner system made battles more interesting. M&L is fine too, but I have a hard time getting into the games, the only one I've actually beaten is Dream Team Bros. I don't get hooked like I did with the first 3 Paper Marios.
    Now would be the perfect time to do that. One can hope...

13. brandon916

brandon916 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    My guess is they'll port them to the switch. Easy money.

14. comput3rus3r

comput3rus3r GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    When are they going to file for Super Mario 3d World 2?

15. jesus96

jesus96 Pinkboi

Mexico
    Is there any game on the switch (besides sushi strikers because no one asked for that) that was a failure? even ports and lazymon did it well

16. Mikemk

Mikemk GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Why do they need to trademark "Mario & Luigi" when they already own "Mario" & "Luigi"

17. chartube12

chartube12 Captain Chaz 86

United States
    because copy right laws in north america are a corrupt. if NoA wouldn’t of kept the trademark claim up to date, i could of came in and grabbed it for myself. i could than create a piece of software titled Mario and Luigi without any connection to the plumbers at all.

18. thewannacryguy

thewannacryguy Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Korea, North
    I hope we get the Superstar Saga ported to the Switch. It looked like a good game on the 3DS but I'm not buying a 3DS game with no 3D support.

19. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Copyright was never designed to prevent that sort of thing, and is not done that way anywhere (or at least anywhere with a notable production of IP).

Copyright is for specific works and certain sub elements thereof. Theoretically they expire but for the US then as it is a new year we do get some new ones, this year is the turn of 1924 -- https://web.law.duke.edu/cspd/publicdomainday/2020/
    Trademarks are for general concepts, and need to be narrowed down to categories. They are designed to prevent confusion for your brand in the eyes of the general public or your main customers by avoiding having products named the same thing. The do expire being you can renew them, and do have to defend them (see what is said when most fan games get smacked down, and also stuff like the let's play video agreements that companies put out there).
    Patents are for items, and if you live in a backwater like the US and Japan then some aspects of software and DNA sequences too (the rest of the world says software is maths and you can't patent maths) and possibly ways of doing business. We tend to see this less in games but the hardware is a thing -- I think we are now free of NES dpad patents (though controllers are commonly a source for this sort of thing), and software wise I don't know what I have seen lately and probably will have to go back to sega's smooth camera transition for anything anybody got upset over https://gamnesia.nintendoenthusiast...-and-sony-over-certain-camera-features-in-th/
    There are further options (service marks, design rights, registered designs) and distinctions in certain fields but enough of that for now and they vary between places and don't tend to come up -- some of the things with design in the name occasionally specify colours for certain items so can make some trouble at times if someone tries to match the colours.

As for why then while I would not like to face off against Nintendo with them owning both the Mario and Luigi franchise (see also Bethesda vs Mojang with "scrolls" https://www.theverge.com/2012/3/10/2860164/mojang-bethesda-scrolls-trademark-dispute , or more recently Bethesda and redfall https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/a-sci-fi-author-is-disputing-a-possible-elder-scrolls-trademark/ *) is a specific work somewhat distinct from the platformers, and this sort of thing often includes a logo or phrase as well. It is fairly cheap to do, nobody is likely to object to it, it might help your accountant at some level (while said trademarks are often valued at $5 or something silly that is a different discussion) and it covers your arse.

*speculation being here that it could be an Elder Scrolls 6 subtitle, though it is also a fairly key aspect of the franchise so it might just be basics (I will have to do some research but I would bet a substantial sum that when pokemon was first rising that while Nintendo probably did not have every pokemon trademarked that pikachu was fully locked down, same idea for that).

20. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Maniac

Argentina
    Had it not been for Donkey Kong that game would have killed Nintendo in America.

While yes the game was not bad, there was a ton of similar games at the time so Arcades were not interested in buying more of the same.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - trademark, Nintendo, America