Nintendo not hosting big E3 conference

D

Dork

Even If I hate to say it. But Kyle Hyde is right. How come Nintendo is missing the only opportunity to steal the PS4/Infinity's show? All the media, press, gamers will be At E3 or watching E3 because Sony and Microsoft will be showcasing their NEW consoles. Only Nintendo fans will be watching NDs during E3. E3 is the best play to advertise your console/handheld to the media/people outside of the Gaming Industry. All the Websites, News, Newspapers, journalist, etc will be covering the E3.

I'm not saying that Nintendo is less important than Sony & Microsoft. I'm saying that with this stupid decision Nintendo will lose their opportunity to turn all the attention to them.

And Sony & Microsoft both revealed their Hardware before E3 because E3 is more to get to those who are not active in Gaming interested. If they do reveal their console at E3 they would have to do all the conference explaining the hardware which is not what the E3 audience wanna hear/see.

What gives you this impression that only Nintendo fans watch Nintendo Direct, but the whole wide world will be watching their E3 presentation? I doubt people who aren't interested in Nintendo would bother with neither.

Also, they are still going to E3, they are just going to try a different approach to their conference.

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You don't understand the situation huh?
Nintendo will be at E3 showcasing software to the public still! It's sad to see how these false news have spread so far that even the official E3 twitter has to clear up the confusion. They will show their games and get media attention. Directs are for other occasions before and after E3.

The things you've said about media coverage and E3 reveals factually statistically wrong. Holding a E3 conference is expensive compared to a relativly cheap Direct.
A title revealed at E3 and a title revealed in a Direct get just as much attention from media. Why do you think 3rd party developers almost never wait until E3 before they reveal their titles? Because they don't win anything by doing it. Like Ubisoft announced AC4 without any sort of event, but the game is still widely known and reported. Media like to spread gaming news that is important and relevant to gamers, those news doesn't necessarily have to come from a big conference to create buzz in the public.

People who don't like Nintendo won't watch their E3 conference. But even they are still aware of some of the content Nintendo is planning to release because of news sites. Like I said alttp 2 was just a small part of a Direct that could have been like any other regular Direct, but now the game is all over news sites. That's without having to spend money on a big E3 presentation.

Casual gamers who don't actively follow news sites get their news from social media like chavosaur said.

Honestly, how is my post and quote misleading? It says they aren't doing a big conference, and instead will do small ones.

This thread has become a joke.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
Honestly, how is my post and quote misleading? It says they aren't doing a big conference, and instead will do small ones.

This thread has become a joke.
I'm not talking about this thread, I'm talking about gaming media. The headline "Nintendo E3 canceled" is everywhere on news sites.
Just check the source title, or the "10 reasons why nintendo canceled..." "how we reacted to nintendo's canceled..." type of features that are constantly popping up despite what has been said. Gaming journalism can't be taken seriously if they aren't even be bothered to read the statements Iwata made in the first place.

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm not talking about this thread, I'm talking about gaming media. The headline "Nintendo E3 canceled" is everywhere on news sites.
Just check the source title, or the "10 reasons why nintendo canceled..." "how we reacted to nintendo's canceled..." type of features that are constantly popping up despite what has been said. Gaming journalism can't be taken serious if they aren't even be bothered to read the statements Iwata made in the first place.

No no, I mean this thread has become a joke because people are still dumb and think Nintendo won't be at E3 and all that. Like they won't listen to reason.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if Nintendo is doomed but I don't have Wii U just yet because of third party poorly supporting.. So, I enjoyed a lot like Mario and Zelda. That's about it in my ages ago..I would love to see new Mario and Zelda games for it but I rather 3rd party more. Reason: Don't want to waste my money on Wii U Anyway.

Jan1tor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Great for Nintendo! They'll save them some money now. They will still be there but in a smaller format. E3 is a hype show anyways, and Nintendo isn't releasing any new hardware at the time anyhow. They will be showcasing new software, maybe new ips', as well as showing their 3rd party support. Growing big on independent support as well since they have been giving away free dev kits. So let the haters hate, the likers like and time will tell. The ones that don't have can keep missing the fun while the ones that do can keep enjoying the fun. The thing I see with the Wii U is with the gamepad it just makes the game playing experience so much more personal than with a normal controller. You have to try it to enjoy it and that is the hardest thing that Nintendo is going to have to accomplish and I don't think you could do that at a 3 day electronics show. It is a slow go but I think they are on the right approach.

NSRSM

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't see the big deal. Everyone is getting what they want and they announced this in a INVESTOR MEETING and word got around THAT QUICKLY.

Nintendo is still at E3, just in smaller scale and not wasting money on a large stage. It isn't needed or required. The gaming industry has naturally changed over time. Nintendo has stated their interest in what they deem the "hardcore"(subjective term) and delivering gaming news to you from "Nintendo Directly" to the gamers is a good move. There will be events AT E3 for both the press and of course showfloor demo's, ergo everyone get's what they want.

Quit crying because they won't have a pre-E3 conference when they know it will be focused on MS and Sony's new consoles(and have nothing on the hardware side to announce). Why bother with a bland conference when they can get right to business, what gamers as the name clarifies care about most. The games.

Plain and simple.

Nintendo Directs have proven to amass lots of hype at an unexpected notice(and announce surprising things) and happen rather quickly with little wait time, instead of the usual E3 showing.

The proof of this is how fast the news of "A Link to the Past 2" went around and again the very news of now that is being heavily debated and of course is home to many asinine assumptions and overreactions.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't see the big deal. Everyone is getting what they want and they announced this in a INVESTOR MEETING and word got around THAT QUICKLY.

Nintendo is still at E3, just in smaller scale and not wasting money on a large stage. It isn't needed or required. The gaming industry has naturally changed over time. Nintendo has stated their interest in what they deem the "hardcore"(subjective term) and delivering gaming news to you from "Nintendo Directly" to the gamers is a good move. There will be events AT E3 for both the press and of course showfloor demo's, ergo everyone get's what they want.

Quit crying because they won't have a pre-E3 conference when they know it will be focused on MS and Sony's new consoles(and have nothing on the hardware side to announce). Why bother with a bland conference when they can get right to business, what gamers as the name clarifies care about most. The games.

Plain and simple.

Nintendo Directs have proven to amass lots of hype at an unexpected notice(and announce surprising things) and happen rather quickly with little wait time, instead of the usual E3 showing.

The proof of this is how fast the news of "A Link to the Past 2" went around and again the very news of now that is being heavily debated and of course is home to many asinine assumptions and overreactions.
I work at a game shop, and the vast majority of customers I mentioned it to hadn't heard of Zelda 3DS before I mentioned it. The only ones who actually heard it were hardcore nintendo fans who were already customers, and thus didn't need to be bothered advertising to.

Just saying. More "general" conferences that are highly publicized like E3 are a much, MUCH bigger deal than Nintendo Directs that are mostly just going to be watched by core Nintendo fans (like me, and you, I imagine), anyway.

ElYubiYubi

GBATemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
I work at a game shop, and the vast majority of customers I mentioned it to hadn't heard of Zelda 3DS before I mentioned it. The only ones who actually heard it were hardcore nintendo fans who were already customers, and thus didn't need to be bothered advertising to.

Just saying. More "general" conferences that are highly publicized like E3 are a much, MUCH bigger deal than Nintendo Directs that are mostly just going to be watched by core Nintendo fans (like me, and you, I imagine), anyway.
This is what people dont understand. Of course you and me and everyone here will be watching ND cuz we like Nintendo or are fans. Nintendo aren't advertising their products, the Wii U specifically. And their are skipping their best opportunity the get people know what the Wii U is. Cuz people still don't even know if the Wii U is something new cuz that name.

Sony have EVERYONE talking about the PS4. Even my boss who dont even play knew about the PS4 and I was like "Wow Sony is doing a good job". Not only my boss I have meet a lot Non-Gamers people who know about the PS4 even old people and kids.
There even T-Shirts about the PS4. And Sony hasn't even started to advertise the PS4 by doing TV ads and that stuff.
$T2eC16FHJG!E9nm3pvuGBRNGvU)Zc!~~60_12.JPG

And I know that PS4 announcement wasn't E3 but because Sony called all the press, the same press that will be at E3. You know whats that called? Good marketing something that Nintendo dont have

Reactions: TripleSMoon

Videomanman87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If they use Nintendo Direct I don't see a point in doing the E3 conference. It is a large expense when they are loosing money as it is, and they can do it more timely and efficiently with Nintendo Direct.

However with that being said, I think it is crazy to pull the Nintendo Channel from the Wii. For the reasons that I just said among others covered in this thread. Of course who knows, perhaps they will roll out a Nintendo Direct only channel for the Wii that doesn't use Wiiconnect24 (which they are shutting down June 28th).

EDIT:
I see the points about E3 would reach more people and most likely people not already enjoying a Nintendo product. I tend to agree there. They obviously need to do more advertising. But there is a large shake up in Nintendo right now with the current CEO being fired. We might see quite a few changes in short order (just like this E3 announcement). It will be interesting to see.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I disagree that "EVERYONE" is talking about the ps4 just because of shirts and hearsay, it did had me make a quick look.
This is what I found.
new-hot-nintendo-wii-u-logo-t-shirt.jpg
wgmpd2.jpg

NSRSM

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If they use Nintendo Direct I don't see a point in doing the E3 conference. It is a large expense when they are loosing money as it is, and they can do it more timely and efficiently with Nintendo Direct.

However with that being said, I think it is crazy to pull the Nintendo Channel from the Wii. For the reasons that I just said among others covered in this thread. Of course who knows, perhaps they will roll out a Nintendo Direct only channel for the Wii that doesn't use Wiiconnect24 (which they are shutting down June 28th).

EDIT:
I see the points about E3 would reach more people and most likely people not already enjoying a Nintendo product. I tend to agree there. They obviously need to do more advertising. But there is a large shake up in Nintendo right now with the current CEO being fired. We might see quite a few changes in short order (just like this E3 announcement). It will be interesting to see.

Uh, the Nintendo CEO got promoted. And Iwata is now CEO of NoA.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
This is what people dont understand. Of course you and me and everyone here will be watching ND cuz we like Nintendo or are fans. Nintendo aren't advertising their products, the Wii U specifically. And their are skipping their best opportunity the get people know what the Wii U is. Cuz people still don't even know if the Wii U is something new cuz that name.

Sony have EVERYONE talking about the PS4. Even my boss who dont even play knew about the PS4 and I was like "Wow Sony is doing a good job". Not only my boss I have meet a lot Non-Gamers people who know about the PS4 even old people and kids.
There even T-Shirts about the PS4. And Sony hasn't even started to advertise the PS4 by doing TV ads and that stuff.
Jeeez, they will have closed door events and everything with media, the press will be there and cover their stuff as usual. xwatchmanx mentioned some kid not knowing about Alttp2, well of course he wouldn't know about it unless he followed gaming news. Those who don't will eventually find out about it when Nintendo finally start advertising it. Gamers whether Nintendo fans or not will still have heard about the game through media. It makes no difference if that announcement was at a Direct or not. It doesn't affect sales or anything.

When the game gets finally gets closer to launch everyone will be made aware of it. Like I said, there's a reason why 3rd party devs announce their stuff before and after E3, again, take AC4 for example. Everyone who follows gaming is aware of that title and once it gets closer to launch and gets advertised then those who don't follow gaming like the kid in the store, will know about it too.

Nintendo will save both time and money if they succeed with the new structure they're implementing. Games will be revealed and get press as usual.

And if anyone is lacking in advertising it's Sony, literally I've only seen like 2 TV commercials about the Vita (advertising fifa) compared to numerous 3DS ads I've seen. And once Sony advertises it's only people who already know the system who knows what they're even advertising. It's partially thanks to Sony's poor advertisement the Vita is suffering. They could show some upcoming games or something in their ads, but nope. If it wasn't for the Internet I wouldn't even know what the system even was, let alone be aware that there actually exist interesting software for the platform. Nintendo at least shows games in their ads.

Seriously look up PS commercials and tell me they aren't weird. Some baby doll, or some deformed alien girl... wtf?

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Jeeez, they will have closed door events and everything with media, the press will be there and cover their stuff as usual. xwatchmanx mentioned some kid not knowing about Alttp2, well of course he wouldn't know about it unless he followed gaming news.
No, I said "the vast majority of customers." This includes hardcore gamers, kids, parents, everyone. It's not just "some kid."

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
No, I said "the vast majority of customers." This includes hardcore gamers, kids, parents, everyone. It's not just "some kid."
ah sorry, but even then I don't think it will hurt sales at all. The game will release and public will be made aware of it once it gets advertised. If you go to gaming sites it will be impossible to avoid sooner or later. Point is that it doesn't matter where you announce your game, it will get sales either way.
They're getting press coverage, nothing has changed there. It doesn't matter if they have a big on stage show or not as only Nintendo fans watched it anyway. Other gamers got Nintendo E3 news from media.

Reactions: mightymuffy

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
ah sorry, but even then I don't think it will hurt sales at all. The game will release and public will be made aware of it once it gets advertised. If you go to gaming sites it will be impossible to avoid sooner or later. Point is that it doesn't matter where you announce your game, it will get sales either way.
They're getting press coverage, nothing has changed there. It doesn't matter if they have a big on stage show or not as only Nintendo fans watched it anyway. Other gamers got Nintendo E3 news from media.
There's just no way to argue it won't increase sales, though. If you want to argue that it won't increase them enough to be worth it, then fine. But to say it doesn't affect sales in the least is absurd, imo.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6ckbBpSKhw