Status
Not open for further replies.

Nintendo looked to partner with Cyanogen for Switch’s OS, CEO told them to stick it.

Swotch-UI-930x420.jpg

While Nintendo was developing the Switch, they came to Cyanogen.Inc to try to work together on a new OS (operative system) for their new console. But as a tweet of the Ex Ceo of Cyanogen.Inc says, nothing happened because McMaster told Nintendo to “stick it.”
rsz_11capture.jpg

(The tweet has since been deleted)

He also posted another tweet:​
bobateron.png

Those of you familiar with the Android scene know that Cyanogen Inc. is the company behind the Android-based open-source OS CyanogenMod.

But this wasn't the first rude comment from Kirt when being the Ceo of the company he also said things like Google being a “common enemy” and that they are “putting a bullet through Google’s head.”

This kind of rude statements and some very unpopular decisions gave them a bad reputation and drove Cyanogen.Inc to where they are; CyanogenMod is dead, Kirt McMaster is not the CEO of Cyanogen Inc. anymore, all services were closed some months ago at the end of last year, and the CyanogenMod OS has no longer official support.

A blessing in disguise? Maybe Switch users must give Kirk a huge thanks, because the Switch would have been released with a dead and unsupported OS. But Cyanogen's fate might have been different altogether if it had partnered with Nintendo...

(And don't try to do this)
boasaso.png

bobaso12.png
(because you will end like this...)
(some people can't accept the truth)

:arrow: SOURCE

Last edited by Prans,

71r3n

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You're need to learn what piggybacking is. Partnering with someone and having them make a (relatively small) part of your product you haven't been historically good at isn't piggybacking off of their innovation. The only reason Cyanogen was as successful as it has been in the past is because it isn't Google or apple, so it can put in so much without worrying about noobs screwing up their phone or millions of other issues because only people in the top % of phone users will use a custom android OS. Also, besides maybe the switch, how does nintendo "steal" ideas? Was the 3ds stolen? The wii? The DS? The gameboy? The virtual boy? I will never buy a Microsoft console but I would never dream of treating them like that.

Your not completly right. I thinking about HTCs way of giving the user the chance to root his phone through their site. But loosing waranty when doing this. :)

71r3n

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm saying it how it is. He's an idiot for not working with Nintendo, companies dream of getting contracts like that.

Ahahahahaha okay, thought you meant "Retroboy" from this thread. My badd. ^^

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
But the tweet says "In the early days of cyanogen" and says "certain portable". I think this is referencing the 3ds. I don't know anything about Cyanogen's history though, so it could really be anything.

I swear this was about the nintendo 3ds? I think i sent a link awhile ago about this to one of the gbatemp mods...hmmm when i get home from work i will check my back log of saved links

can someone confirm this? "early days of cyanogen" really seems he is pointing to the 3ds era...

bi388

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your not completly right. I thinking about HTCs way of giving the user the chance to root his phone through their site. But loosing waranty when doing this. :)
Still, it holds true that google/apple could easily make an os better than Cyanogens if they didn't have to worry about all the problems that would come with that being an officially supported os. Google already walks a fine line with their os being as free as it is compared to apples, to the point where most carriers are now locking bootloaders and root.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Dear Retroboy, do yourself a favor, build some self respect and STFU already.
It is becoming very annoying to try to understand what the hell is going on around any thread, watching people that seem kind of annoyed, talking to themselves, and forcing me to yet again click "show ignored content" to make sense out of the thread and find you were wreacking havoc again with your fanboyish non-sense off topic BS comments. Get a life already.-

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Must've been a fun meeting back then...

Iwata: nice operating system you've got there. Listen...we're wondering if you would be interested in building an operating system for our next portable.
McMaster: yeah? And why would I want to do that?
Iwata: I don't know if you've heard of nintendo, but...
McMaster: of course I do! You're a large capitalistic CORPORATION, right? :angry:
Iwata: *misunderstands the angry tone of voice due to language difference* Oh, yes! A very large corporation. Our wii and DS are insanely popular among young kids. :D
McMaster: ...and you corrupt their free will and choice by flooding the market with your import games from Japan! :angry::angry:
Iwata: ...yes. Game creation is huge opportunity in Japan. But for Western markets, we aim to suit an operating system to your needs. :)
McMaster: yeah, well...you can stick it!
Iwata: uh? *talks a bit with Japanese translator*
Iwata: you...want me to "stick it up my arse"? You...don't like the idea of having your operating system on millions of devices? :unsure:
McMaster: that's right, Satoru-chum! Now get out of my office or I'll have security throw you gooks out!
Iwata: *sighs* I'm getting too old for this job. :(

or sounds like someone that doesnt want to risk being associated with a console that could fail again.
The early days of cyanogen was 2009. The 3DS was still a couple years in the future, and the wiiu almost four. Even if he was clairvoyant enough to predict the wiiu's failing that long ahead, it's not like that association with a console matters when being asked to build an operating system for a portable. :rolleyes:

GamerzHell9137

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Woooow, i just realized that the site is down and i can't update my OS. Daaaamn, i hope i have the installation file so i reinstall it when i feel like lol. EDIT: Ahh seems like LineageOS is a successor, rejoice!

And eyy, the CEO sure hates Nintendo lol

Last edited by GamerzHell9137, , Reason: tiddies

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm saying it how it is. He's an idiot for not working with Nintendo, companies dream of getting contracts like that.

While I am certainly not ruling out him being a goon I would pause pending a little scan of the would be contract. If it was Nintendo at their most Nintendo* and wanting locked down builds, full source, impossible deadlines, penalties and so forth then I might still take the sweet embrace of chapter 11.

*I would have put modern in brackets in the front of that but with people around here calling the N64 an old console then the SNES era is even further back, not that it makes things better on being a pleasure to work with front.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
is it running android? i thought we confirmed the tablet is a nvidia tablet but running a custom os...
Nope, it's running a custom OS. But the tablet the Switch is based on runs Android, so most of the gruntwork has been done, porting CyanogenOS would've been a piece of cake for Cyanogen Inc. Giving them the finger is such an absurdly stupid decision, I can't put it in words.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • BigOnYa
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: knuckles vs broly could also be a good one tbh