Nintendo last developer to deliver (almost) bug free games?

slingblade1170

Trophies
Website
xtremehack.net
XP
Country
United States
No, no there hasn't. Nintendo didn't have any kind of "patching" or "update" service for a majority of the Wii's lifespan, in fact there isn't any official "patching" service on the Wii at all, it was only somewhat-recently (as in, April/November 2012) added to the 3DS and the Wii U.

Official? maybe not but there were a couple of game patches/updates on the Wii and 3DS. Mario Kart & Skyward Sword being the 2 that come to mind.

People really hate Nintendo on GBAtemp, lol

slingblade1170

Trophies
Website
xtremehack.net
XP
Country
United States
No one is hating on nintendo here, people are just trying to counter act the ill-informed statements that nintendo fans are making atm.

I never thought i'd be saying that.

I said that because every other post was about Nintendo pissing them off, its great though. Honestly I prefer most games on Xbox but I've been playing Nintendo for 23 years and yeah they got issues but their games are still fun. Seems like without Nintendo I would be stuck with Halo, CoD and tons of other rushed FPS and RPGs.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Official? maybe not but there were a couple of game patches/updates on the Wii and 3DS. Mario Kart & Skyward Sword being the 2 that come to mind.

Technically, at least for Skyward Sword. Nintendo had no infrastructure for patches whatsoever with the Wii. For Skyward Sword, you'd have to download a dedicated channel to fix the problem or mail an SD card with the save game on it; that's hardly convenient or efficient.

As for the Mario Kart bit (assuming you're talking about MK 7, because I can't find any patch details for Mario Kart Wii), you might want to reread what Tom said.

No, no there hasn't. Nintendo didn't have any kind of "patching" or "update" service for a majority of the Wii's lifespan, in fact there isn't any official "patching" service on the Wii at all, it was only somewhat-recently (as in, April/November 2012) added to the 3DS and the Wii U.

It just wouldn't be a Nintendo thread without the persecution complexes flaring up, now would it?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Not really. Some just hate statements along the lines of "Nin10doh is the last bastion of true video gaems, everybody else is just in for the monnies!". Nintendo's not infallible, they had their share of broken games and they'll continue to because that's just how programming is, and I don't doubt that they have high standards of testing, but that doesn't make them the messiahs of the industry.

Wisenheimer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo really takes their commitment to delivering the best games possible, not rushed messes trying to get to the market quickly as possible. That is why they are one of Japan's largest companies and have an excellent reputation for quality within the gaming industry.

Now that all Nintendo consoles come with the ability to patch bugs in games, it is possible they might get more lax, but I doubt it. Their quality control still seems excellent. That is not to say that they are perfect, but games are software which generally have pretty low quality control and by the gaming industry, Nintendo is the gold standard. Obviously, Nintendo's quality control would not past muster if they were writing ICBM guidance software.

Technically, at least for Skyward Sword. Nintendo had no infrastructure for patches whatsoever with the Wii. For Skyward Sword, you'd have to download a dedicated channel to fix the problem or mail an SD card with the save game on it; that's hardly convenient or efficient.

As for the Mario Kart bit (assuming you're talking about MK 7, because I can't find any patch details for Mario Kart Wii), you might want to reread what Tom said.

It just wouldn't be a Nintendo thread without the persecution complexes flaring up, now would it?

Nintendo must have had some infrastructure for patches with the Wii, because you could patch foreign games to run in English with SD card files.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Nintendo must have had some infrastructure for patches with the Wii, because you could patch foreign games to run in English with SD card files.
That doesn't necessarily imply "patching", that just means that language files could've been read from a source different than the disc. Patching game code requires altering the game's binary, not just assets (although assets do have to be patched on occasion to remove texture problems, the occasional typo etc.).

That is, unless there were also games that "installed" patched binaries onto the SD card or the NAND, but I haven't heard of any like that.

slingblade1170

Trophies
Website
xtremehack.net
XP
Country
United States

Is easy to get you "Reporters" replying. Anyways I never said anything about the patches being efficient or convenient I just said in multiple posts that Nintendo had the ability to do it you may want reread what I said.

Not really. Some just hate statements along the lines of "Nin10doh is the last bastion of true video gaems, everybody else is just in for the monnies!". Nintendo's not infallible, they had their share of broken games and they'll continue to because that's just how programming is, and I don't doubt that they have high standards of testing, but that doesn't make them the messiahs of the industry.
No your right Foxi, their not. Most the posters on here tend to blend together on Nintendo being flawless but don't put me with them cause I do not believe that. I love Nintendo and there isn't a word that could be said to make me not buy something they made if I want it. Nintendo has many issues that need solutions most to do with online infrastructure but that doesn't make them a horrible developer or publisher. Also, this is no directed at you Foxi but most (including GBAtemp officials) are just trolling to get a rise out of people whether it be Nintendo, MS or Sony fans. As you can see above, Gathers thought of the first thing he could to start flame war if not with me then someone else that read that post.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No your right Foxi, their not. Most the posters on here tend to blend together on Nintendo being flawless but don't put me with them cause I do not believe that. I love Nintendo and there isn't a word that could be said to make me not buy something they made if I want it. Nintendo has many issues that need solutions most to do with online infrastructure but that doesn't make them a horrible developer or publisher. Also, this is no directed at you Foxi but most (including GBAtemp officials) are just trolling to get a rise out of people whether it be Nintendo, MS or Sony fans. As you can see above, Gathers thought of the first thing he could to start flame war if not with me then someone else that read that post.

"T-they're trolls! Staff members are oppressive!"

Just stop already.

I've bought and owned plenty of Nintendo products, I don't hate them by any means but I have no problem calling them out on their shit. And as it is their patching policy is shit.

Reactions: chavosaur

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Is easy to get you "Reporters" replying. Anyways I never said anything about the patches being efficient or convenient I just said in multiple posts that Nintendo had the ability to do it you may want reread what I said.

I think that some users simply want to jokingly dismiss false claims here because that's just how they roll, I don't think the intention is to stirr up a flame war because nobody gains anything from that, especially not the staff members which have a reputation to uphold.

The point is that patching game logic bugs pretty much requires installing the binary onto the system or introducing live patch injection (rare) and I don't think the Wii did either of those things.

The statement that's being ridiculed is that "Nintendo is the Messiah of the Industry and everything they do is right and better than everybody else's", the exaggeration's there for comic effect. ;)

Reactions: slingblade1170

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

And the award for best Strawman goes tooooooo

slingblade1170

Trophies
Website
xtremehack.net
XP
Country
United States
I've bought and owned plenty of Nintendo products, I don't hate them by any means but I have no problem calling them out on their shit. And as it is their patching policy is shit.

^proved my point

I thought you had me ignored Guild but anyways we have established that their method of patching is horrible.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Those that usually get promoted to staff type positions tend to be the ones that are active in discussion.

Another key attribute that tends to help is an ability to pick apart points and call a lack of logic, sadly such a thing is rather prevalent for those that may well have had their Nintendo devices spend more time with them than their parents.

Beyond that none previously involved in the conversation were acting any different than usual, be it before or after various promotions.

As for no/few bugs, if I can be allowed to leverage my position as "one that pulls apart games and has been known to fix problems with them" then allow me to enjoy a good giggle. Granted I am on record as not really playing Nintendo first/second party games (they used to dominate the handheld market and had no small chunk of the TV games market before that) but I still pull them apart and offer guidance to those inclined to play them.

slingblade1170

Trophies
Website
xtremehack.net
XP
Country
United States
Those that usually get promoted to staff type positions tend to be the ones that are active in discussion.

Another key attribute that tends to help is an ability to pick apart points and call a lack of logic, sadly such a thing is rather prevalent for those that may well have had their Nintendo devices spend more time with them than their parents.

As for no/few bugs, if I can be allowed to leverage my position as "one that pulls apart games and has been known to fix problems with them" then allow me to enjoy a good giggle. Granted I am on record as not really playing Nintendo first/second party games (they used to dominate the handheld market and had no small chunk of the TV games market before that) but I still pull them apart and offer guidance to those inclined to play them.

If you took any offense to what I said I apologize but on topics especially Nintendo, most don't just "call a lack of logic" they will insult and demean someone who may not know all the specifics of a subject. For the record, I didn't say all GBAtemp staff was to blame.

As for Nintendo's in game bugs, just like every other game I'm sure they have them but I believe the thread starter was trying to say that a majority of Nintendo's titles have unnoticeable bugs and glitches when some other more complex games like Oblivion/Skyrim/Fallout you find many, which is completely understandable.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you took any offense to what I said I apologize but on topics especially Nintendo, most don't just "call a lack of logic" they will insult and demean someone who may not know all the specifics of a subject. For the record, I didn't say all GBAtemp staff was to blame.

As for Nintendo's in game bugs, just like every other game I'm sure they have them but I believe the thread starter was trying to say that a majority of Nintendo's titles have unnoticeable bugs and glitches when some other more complex games like Oblivion/Skyrim/Fallout you find many, which is completely understandable.

I really don't get the argument. The reason games like Oblivion have more glitches is for exactly like you said, they're more complex. I mean Bethesda definitely has shoddy bug testing, but an open world game with hundreds of hours of content is bound to have more glitches than a 10 hour Nintendo platformer that's incredibly linear.

Plus you can hold up almost any other developer to Bethesda and say they're so "glitch free" considering how miserably ridden with glitches their games are.

Reactions: Black-Ice

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
To take offence you surely have to take something seriously, I have yet to do such a thing and have no plans to start any time soon.

Insult and demean... I am not seeing it, give or take some of my longer ramblings. I think it would be a fair assessment to say most of the staff tend to be blunt as you like when dealing with such things, however that tends to be how the world works and being sensitive to the feelings of others, especially when they are so deeply irrational as many of those in game playing circles, is a waste of time. Bonus is it makes for good humour as well.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I really don't get the argument. The reason games like Oblivion have more glitches is for exactly like you said, they're more complex. I mean Bethesda definitely has shoddy bug testing, but an open world game with hundreds of hours of content is bound to have more glitches than a 10 hour Nintendo platformer that's incredibly linear.

Plus you can hold up almost any other developer to Bethesda and say they're so "glitch free" considering how miserably ridden with glitches their games are.
I tend to think that Bethesda developers are fantastic artists and storytellers - they build beautiful worlds with great stories, they give their characters distinguishable, endearing, unique and diverse features, they litter the games with easter eggs of all-sorts and create this immersive environment you just "want" to be in... and then they spoil it with bugs because, by God, they're terrible programmers. :rofl2:

"Physics, stahp! You're tearing me apart, physics! ;O;"

slingblade1170

Trophies
Website
xtremehack.net
XP
Country
United States

Yes, I wasn't really arguing some were taking the first post as "Nintendo is perfect with no bugs!" when I'm sure he didn't mean that. Their bugs are just not noticeable in most games but thats because Nintendo usually only makes 3D/2D platformers which they excel in so against your average gamer it would seem as Nintendo is mostly bug free, in reality they are just so minor you don't see or notice them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Looks like Link's Awakening was metaphorical.