Nintendo Land - Mario Chase Modding

Discussion in 'Wii U - Tutorials' started by Laghum, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Laghum
    OP

Laghum Member

Newcomer
    Dec 2, 2016
    Gambia, The
    0. Preface
    I made this tutorial because I love to play Nintendo Land’s Mario Chase attraction with my friends, however there are far too few stages and I couldn’t find any tutorials on the internet, on how to make new ones. Therefore I used this tutorial on how to make custom Mario Kart tracks and experimented in a trial-and-error-fashion from there.
    Luckily, making a new stage for Mario Chase and importing it into your game is pretty easy, thanks to some awesome tools some great people in the Wii U modding community programmed. I have never modded any game in my life, so if you think you can’t do this, I tell you „You can!”
    However, this tutorial is still a work in progress, because as of now there are serious texturizing problems.
    The basics of this tutorial might be transferrable to other Nintendo Land attractions, however I haven’t tested this.
    This tutorial is separated into different sections, according to what you want to mod. In the beginning of each section, I will tell you which programs you’ll need.

I also made a proof of concept video, which you can watch here.

-seem to contain copyrighted material, removed for safety-

Also: Please excuse the bad formatting here and there. Turns out you can't have numbered and bullet point lists, or I might just be too stupid to get it right.

Anyway, let’s dive right in.

1. Getting Started
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

2. Replacing a stage with a custom 3D-model

3. Replacing the map

4. Reskinnig

5. Remodeling

6. Custom Attraction Logo

7. Custom Texts

8. Playing your Mod on the Wii U / Releasing your mod for others to play

9. Troubleshooting

10. Miscellaneous

The problems with texturizing

Last edited by linuxares, Nov 22, 2018 - Reason: Removed Proof of concept link incase it contained copyrighted material. It seemed like it.
  2. victormr21

victormr21 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 29, 2015
    Awesome to know someone cares about Nintendo Land (maybe a bit late but...)!
    What a pity I don't mod so much Wii U now I have Switch but I "was expert" on modding and well, most part of the tutorial could be done without tutorial because every Ninty game uses same formats and structures.
    I think your texture problem could be easily fixed if works as I imagine but sadly I don't have it's dump and files. This is bc as you said, each BTEX format has unique "features" and they are important, so choose them randomly isn't a good option.
    If you want maybe we could continue talking about this in my discord (link in profile)
    Bye and congratulations!

3. Hambrew

Hambrew Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 9, 2018
    United States
    Cool! I've always wanted to see Nintendo Land mods! (not really tho) I look forward to try them out as soon as I figure out wth sdcafiine is!

4. Laghum
    OP

Laghum Member

Newcomer
    Dec 2, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Hey, excuse my late answer, I was busy over the weekend.

Yeah, I switched my workplace and just now got to know people, who want to play it on a semi-regular basis. Before, playing the three default stages once in a while was enough, but now it became a bit stale, so I only checked now, if custom stages were possible. But yeah, it's a bit late, in the Wii U's lifespan. :unsure::yayu:
    I made the tutorial pretty thorough, because I felt if someone like me, without any knowledge wants to start, than he has everything in one place, although I admit that it is a bit very detailed in some points.

Man that would be awesome!

As I said, I have no idea what I'm doing and this is my first time modding anything, so I just tried several options.

When would you have some spare time to do talk about this? I guess I'm only free by the end of the week / the weekend.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

:D yeah!

sdcafiine is a program on your Wii U, which let's you replace several files on the fly = right when the game runs.
    In the sdcafiine-folder on your Wii Us SD-card, you place a custom file (e.g. a custom stage), which has the same name, as a file of the normal game. So what sdcafiine basically does now, is load your custom file, when the game wants to run the normal default file of the game.
    This is in short, was it does, and it's actually pretty easy to use.

Check out the link in the beginning of my tutorial to get an in-depth tutorial on it.

5. victormr21

victormr21 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 29, 2015
    I guess I have more those days but yeah talk me there and I see what I can do!

6. froggestspirit

froggestspirit D/P/Pt Demix Guy

Jul 28, 2011
    United States
    @Laghum the texture issue sounds like an issue with the UV coordinates, where the steps acting as walls and no shadows sounds like a normal coordinates issue. ive never worked with formats on the wiiu, but this would probably have similar results for other 3d model formats too if they were missing or incorrect

7. Hambrew

Hambrew Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 9, 2018
    United States
    No thanks, I'll wait for pre-made mods to install and use sdcafiine with.

But how will I use SDCaffiine with games in Loadiine? I have both the physical game as well as a dumped version from DDD. I want to mod the dumped version, not the physical version.

8. enderer

enderer Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 19, 2015
    United States
    still no online multiplayer for the metroid game :(

9. Hambrew

Hambrew Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 9, 2018
    United States
    rip miiverse