Nintendo Is Working With Startups For New Switch Ideas

nintendo switch x scrum ventures.JPG

The Big N has started an unlikely partnership to find new ideas for the Switch. The video game giant is partnering with San Francisco-based Scrum Ventures to find startups "working on new ways to play or use the Japanese company’s hit gaming console, the Switch".

The program, named Nintendo Switch + Tech and managed by Scrum Ventures, seeks to find technologies that could lead to new experiences on Nintendo Switch. The company says that it welcomes applications for all types of technologies that could be leveraged by Nintendo as the company continues to innovate experiences for Nintendo Switch, ranging from hardware to software.

The program page further adds that "opportunities are wide open for startup teams of all stages, research teams at universities, or technology teams from larger corporations worldwide. A selective group of chosen applicants will have the unique opportunity to talk with the engineers behind Nintendo Switch and demo their technology."

Nintendo has a history of bringing innovative ideas to the video game scene, albeit not always successful. However, this is the first time that the company is reaching out to startups for new ideas.

“We are always exploring ways to evolve entertainment,” Ko Shiota, a senior executive officer at Nintendo, said in a statement. “We look forward to discovering unique technologies that add to the Nintendo Switch experiences through the program managed by Scrum Ventures.”

Do you think the program will yield successful additions to the wildly popular Nintendo Switch? What would you like to see?

:arrow: Nintendo Switch + Tech Program

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm a lil confused as to your logic on this one... You can be an innovator while still reaching out to other people and generating interest in innovating in ways you hadn't thought of on your own platform. You seem to reach to view Nintendo in a negative light in virtually every situation you comment on
nintendo cant be arsed, what else cany you see it as?

console thus far littered with crap, old ports and gimmicks?

now nintendo are passing it to another studio to think how it can make gimmick games.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

now nintendo are passing it to another studio to think how it can make gimmick games.
so far there is no gimmiky on the switch... being portable is not a gimmiky lol.

im guessing ps4 and xb1 gimmiky is being stationary too...

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Damn, guess I just imagined owning Super Mario Odyssey, Kirby Superstar Allies and Splatoon 2 then

VitaType

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
the only difference is that people know to avoid MS this gen after their last console melted for everybody
I'm pretty sure the main reason for not buying XBoxes these gen is that gaming PCs these days don't get out-dated that fast anymore and that you can be sure that pretty much every XBox "exclusive" will be released on Windows as well and that we live in the age of XInput (every gamer nowdays has a good and Windows compatible controller thanks to this).
MS just can't compete with affordable gaming PCs running there own OS :rofl2:

Reactions: Bladexdsl and Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure the main reason for not buying XBoxes these gen is that gaming PCs these days don't get out-dated that fast anymore and that you can be sure that pretty much every XBox "exclusive" will be released on Windows as well and that we live in the age of XInput (every gamer nowdays has a good and Windows compatible controller thanks to this).
MS just can't compete with affordable gaming PCs running there own OS :rofl2:
Yeah it also doesn't help that XB1's UI layout is only setup the way it is to show you as many ads as possible. The blades UI on 360 was so much quicker/cleaner.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

biosyn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I don't see happening:
Wireless dock
DS/3DS "adapter"

What I do see as a possiblity:
4g/5g dongle/adapter
lifestyle (workout) and creative (drawing/music) apps w/ maybe in-app purchases
joycon alternatives
Netflix

Risingdawn

Tempallica
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The fact that this is essentially outsourcing development of 'gimmicks' to non in-house development teams will hopefully mean the in-house developers get more time to concentrate on providing great games.

I'd rather have Nintendo working on a new Metroid than a new 1-2 Switch. If this program means they are able to do that, while having a third party develop the gimmick games that I'm guessing the eastern market must love; I don't see any problem.

And to be frank I already have a PS4 and an Xbox One, and having both of those is just pointless seeing as apart from a couple of exclusives they're essentially the same bloody thing anyway, so the last thing I want is a big black Nintendo box gathering dust along with my Xbox, just so I can play Assassin's Duty 7: Motorsport Challenge with a Ninty logo instead of a PS one.

Handheld isn't a gimmick, it's been around since before even the gameboy, it provides something 'different' to the PlayStation and Xbox market, and I applaud Switch for providing the best handheld since the PSP.

I'm not into all this 'cardboard' shit ofc, but I also realise I'm not it's target market; so I move on. This program doesn't take anything away from the development teams at Nintendo. And that's all that matters for me.

biosyn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could you please elaborate further? Sounds interesting.

Switch happens to be the first handheld with removable controller(s). I feel like that opens up a lot of possibilities for different peripherals to be attached.

In terms of gaming - think various wiimote accesories, that labo bike steering thing, or even just a more ergonomic (or disabled-friendly) take on the joycon. I can also easily picture creative peripherals geared for drawing and music production/DJing. Think MIDI controllers with knobs and fader.

At the end of the day the Switch is really a tablet that happens to have more hardware connection options than an ipad - which already has all kinds of creative hardware built around it. I'm not saying Korg or Akai are gonna start building high-profile peripherals for Switch, but if Nintendo ever figure their shit out - others might come up with some very interesting things.

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo should only release games that validate me and only me! We need more testosterone-pumped adult games with high-resolution graphics that the common man doesn't care about.

Seriously get it together, Nintendo! You should have released a mediocre, highly limited, non-portable PC just like Sony and Xbox so I can play the same games those two consoles have! Stop releasing unique and innovative games! Stop using the same characters millions of people have loved for the past 30 years! Stop being the most reliable and only dedicated manufacturer of video game consoles! You're the reason why people all over the world recognize Mario sooner than Mickey Mouse. This is unacceptable.
Yeah man, they should follow what they did with the wii u and virtual boy, they most successfull consoles of all time! Or keep making games of the same level as 1-2 switch and code name s.t.e.a.m! Pretty successfull stuff there! Ps4 is soooo doomed with its almost 80 millions sold consoles... dumb sony, they should quit the console market and stop making high quality and outstanding first party games... sheeshz...

and lets not forget the fabulous xbox one. Omg, the best of the three, everyone should own one! Hey people, what are you waiting for? Go get a damn xbox one x you silly.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Yeah man, they should follow what they did with the wii u and virtual boy, they most successfull consoles of all time! Or keep making games of the same level as 1-2 switch and code name s.t.e.a.m! Pretty successfull stuff there! Ps4 is soooo doomed with its almost 80 millions sold consoles... dumb sony, they should quit the console market and stop making high quality and outstanding first party games... sheeshz...

and lets not forget the fabulous xbox one. Omg, the best of the three, everyone should own one! Hey people, what are you waiting for? Go get a damn xbox one x you silly.
at the rate switch is selling in 1.5 years it will surpass xbox1 lifetime sales easily.
also switch in japan sold more than 4 millions on a single year and ps4 lifetime sales in japan are only 6 millions, so this years end there will be more switches sold on japan than ps4s wich can mean alot of good japanese devs will start putting more and more games into the switch.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Nintendo: *makes a console that primarily markets and appeals to young adults*

Dammit, Nintendo, stop making kids consoles!

Nintendo: *releases more M-rated games*

Typical family-friendly Nintendo.
>More M-rated games
>Bayonetta... and that’s about it

C'mon now, you can troll harder.

I'll have to check if the Web browser on the PS4 Pro works in VR so that I could flip the bird at both of you in stereoscopic 3D. ;O;

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UyxeZ7JYwZs&pp=ygUJVnIgaXMgZ2F5 +1