Nintendo is hurt since they only do games.

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree with you here. buy nintendo if you like nintendo. End of story.
same goes for every console really as I personally don't understand the whole logic of the console wars except marketing and nostalgia for the 16 bit wars.

Nintendo isn't out to win. They haven't been out to win since the Gamecube.
Or N64 when they decided not to use CD technology which would of allowed devs to do a lotmore than cartridges ever could allow. Nintendo has always been low on specs and high on 1st party quality

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Sure they look promising but how many will be? Sure they probably will have a few good original IPS but not as much as Sony or Nintendo. Personally I think Nintendo is more likely to make jumps in sales than Ms although something could happen to give MS a comfortable lead. Even if Nintendo could get away with a minor Profit it would be a success. Only thing I hate about Nintendo's situation is they keep making great games yet are struggling which as a Nintendo fan makes me sad.
XBone just needs a lower price point. It has sold well with its promotional price cuts, arguably even better than the PS4 lately, which is impressive because the PS4 is still selling really well fairly consistently.

Nintendo isn't out to win. They haven't been out to win since the Gamecube.
Like I mentioned in another thread and somebody else built on, Nintendo should be seen more as a companion than a competitor. With their largely independent line of games and difference in spec expectations and such, they aren't really competition for Sony and Microsoft. Nintendo has their own fan base that has remained pretty consistent over the years, and Sony and Microsoft have a hard time stealing or even borrowing from it. It's why they mostly compete with each other while Nintendo largely just coexists and does its own thing. Sony only directly competes with Nintendo in handheld sales, but even there they've shown more interest in shifting focus to their phone line, removing Nintendo from the equation once more.

RevPokemon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
XBone just needs a lower price point. It has sold well with its promotional price cuts, arguably even better than the PS4 lately, which is impressive because the PS4 is still selling really well fairly consistently.

Like I mentioned in another thread and somebody else built on, Nintendo should be seen more as a companion than a competitor. With their largely independent line of games and difference in spec expectations and such, they aren't really competition for Sony and Microsoft. Nintendo has their own fan base that has remained pretty consistent over the years, and Sony and Microsoft have a hard time stealing or even borrowing from it. It's why they mostly compete with each other while Nintendo largely just coexists and does its own thing. Sony only directly competes with Nintendo in handheld sales, but even there they've shown more interest in shifting focus to their phone line, removing Nintendo from the equation once more.
Well one thing is sadly ever since post n64 times many nintendo fans have moved on to other platforms for gaming and that continues to happen. Personally though I am quite fond of Nintendo's attitude towards the competition

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, I like that Nintendo focuses on just games. I think that gives them a bit of an edge. If they stop making money, I'm sure they'll adapt. If not, then no more Nintendo and gaming moves on. With the fanbase they've built up and how they're adults now raising their children on Nintendo games, I think Nintendo is in a fine spot. Maybe not as profitable as other companies, but I doubt they're really hurting. Also, with how poorly Nintendo handled internet on their systems, I'd hate to see them try to make anything not oriented towards gaming.

RevPokemon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, I like that Nintendo focuses on just games. I think that gives them a bit of an edge. If they stop making money, I'm sure they'll adapt. If not, then no more Nintendo and gaming moves on. With the fanbase they've built up and how they're adults now raising their children on Nintendo games, I think Nintendo is in a fine spot. Maybe not as profitable as other companies, but I doubt they're really hurting. Also, with how poorly Nintendo handled internet on their systems, I'd hate to see them try to make anything not oriented towards gaming.

Well the problem is ultimately is that quality doesn't equal sales or profits. Example ford makes way more mony than Porsche does every year.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well the problem is ultimately is that quality doesn't equal sales or profits. Example ford makes way more mony than Porsche does every year.
Car companies don't mean much to me, outside of DeLorean because I loved Back to the Future as a child and still do. I just don't think it's an issue as it will be up to them to keep consumers buying. If they put out something that doesn't sell, they'll adapt. If they don't, then it's their fault for not knowing what their consumers want and someone else will eventually fill their niche if there's demand for it. Either way, I wouldn't worry right now. Remember, these are the guys that brought video games back to the US, have had multiple flops but recovered just fine, and have plenty of us nostalgically entranced.

RevPokemon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Car companies don't mean much to me, outside of DeLorean because I loved Back to the Future as a child and still do. I just don't think it's an issue as it will be up to them to keep consumers buying. If they put out something that doesn't sell, they'll adapt. If they don't, then it's their fault for not knowing what their consumers want and someone else will eventually fill their niche if there's demand for it. Either way, I wouldn't worry right now. Remember, these are the guys that brought video games back to the US, have had multiple flops but recovered just fine, and have plenty of us nostalgically entranced.

I know Nintendo has over come huge flops (n64dd,virtual boy, and the failed SNES disc drive.) But this may sound bad but I genuinly feel sad when nintendo does do great (kinda like a sports fan is upset when his team does bad).

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know Nintendo has over come huge flops (n64dd,virtual boy, and the failed SNES disc drive.) But this may sound bad but I genuinly feel sad when nintendo does do great (kinda like a sports fan is upset when his team does bad).
I don't touch sports either, so I can't relate. I kind of get the brand loyalty thing, but they're just a company out to make money. I throw my money at them when they have something I want, and that's as far as the relationship goes. I'm always ready to criticize them and not pay money for something just because they've produced something good in the past. Loyalty to companies seems counter productive for the consumer. Don't get me wrong, I'm very nostalgic for a lot of Nintendo IPs, but I can set that to the side to make sure I'm not buying into another Skyward Sword or Wario World.

Reactions: cvskid

RevPokemon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't touch sports either, so I can't relate. I kind of get the brand loyalty thing, but they're just a company out to make money. I throw my money at them when they have something I want, and that's as far as the relationship goes. I'm always ready to criticize them and not pay money for something just because they've produced something good in the past. Loyalty to companies seems counter productive for the consumer. Don't get me wrong, I'm very nostalgic for a lot of Nintendo IPs, but I can set that to the side to make sure I'm not buying into another Skyward Sword or Wario World.
Well I do believe Nintendo has made mistakes and I do see and recognize them. For me I think my love for the brand is mainly from nostalgia to an extent.

I mean I can remember being 5 or so and hearing kids at the park talk about Mario Sunshine and luigi's mansion. At 7 me and my sis would litterally play mario party and double dash till our thimbs hurt. At 8 and 10 i got a snes and n64 and learned of the great retro nintendo games. Then at 11 or 12 I remember attending a brawl pre release party dressed as ness where I won a round in melee as samus. At 14 I rember spending hours into trying to great the perfect pokemon team.

So yeah I have a lot personally invested in the Big N and that's why I want them to succeed

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't have much input for this thread but just sayin', when the Wii first came out and all those parents were like "hell yeah, healthy motion games for my children!" that thing sold like HOTCAKES and I'm pretty sure just because of that gimmicky crap Nintendo could survive at a loss for like a decade

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I do believe Nintendo has made mistakes and I do see and recognize them. For me I think my love for the brand is mainly from nostalgia to an extent.

I mean I can remember being 5 or so and hearing kids at the park talk about Mario Sunshine and luigi's mansion. At 7 me and my sis would litterally play mario party and double dash till our thimbs hurt. At 8 and 10 i got a snes and n64 and learned of the great retro nintendo games. Then at 11 or 12 I remember attending a brawl pre release party dressed as ness where I won a round in melee as samus. At 14 I rember spending hours into trying to great the perfect pokemon team.

So yeah I have a lot personally invested in the Big N and that's why I want them to succeed
You're making me feel a bit old. I remember kids at school talking about the upcoming N64. Overall, I'm generally cynical so I don't invest myself into companies emotionally.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Wii U tanked because of Nintendo's own poor marketing decisions but at least they've tried to fix some of it by releasing the games that the fans wanted (except no F-Zero, Metroid, Donkey Kong 3D or Mario Sunshine 2/Galaxy 3).

I'm satisfied with the exclusives and especially Smash.

gypsynimrod

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
No Donkey Kong?

donkey_kong_country_tropical_freeze_japanese_box_art.jpg

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Nintendo may not have multiple sources of income, but they also lack multiple sources to lose money on. Right now they are banking on so much money from their previous successes that the Wii U could fail multiple times over and they would still have money to throw around.

ov3rkill

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
What I love about Nintendo is innovation on gaming. They don't even have a powerful console and yet they can optimize a game and make it fun gameplay-wise and beautiful. Have you seen or played recent games on PC and other consoles. It's like devs are just getting lazy in making them. They're not optimizing at all. 40gb or 50gb game which barely has content. Titanfall is an example. Now, Dying Light is requiring 16gb ram and gtx 780 for recommended PC gaming. That's just laziness on the devs end.

Reactions: piratesephiroth

NyaakoXD

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo is hurt because of Sony fanboys (still better than Xbox One) going "Lol nintendo is for kids, confused "why isn't this like the Wii" people, and nostalgia suckers" Well, f*** them.

Nintendo is hurt? They don't care too much about all that nonsense you just spouted. They want to create high quality games so people can enjoy them. Their main focus is for their games and consoles to be fun and entertaining. Plus, they saved up so much money in their bank throughout the years that they can basically do nothing and still survive for 50+ years.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Ah, company valueing with only stock prices :)

I'd say Nintendo will do good for as long as they make good games. The WiiU for example will be interesting if Nintendo breaks the cycle of one game let franchise type per platform. If not, they will need more new IPs since they're staying to "run out" of the known ones. With third party support being minimal this will be crucial.

Also regardless of what people say, the hardware is a challenge on the WiiU, since it's different compared to the competition's offering and the PC. If they manage to make it appealing, it'll spark interest, but it's yet to happen

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Three pages yet nobody mentions that Quality of Life program that nintendo is currently setting up? Sure, it's not publicly announced yet and details aren't known (except perhaps stockholders), but they ARE branching out.

Also...that OP is wrong on so many levels it's not even funny anymore. But that's been mentioned in previous posts enough, so I'm not going to waste further time on it.

Reactions: VinsCool

RevPokemon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem for me is that the hard truth is that the only games I really play are Nintendo's flagship IPs, so I can't play any other consoles, which is why I'm so attached to Nintendo.
In a sense though that has happened since GC when the Nintendo ports/versions of games became sloppily made compared to there counterparts

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: hot take: freddy fazbear's pizzeria simulator is peak fnaf