Nintendo has taken down the Link's Awakening fan remake

IMG_20231215_075251_847.jpg

Unsurprisingly, Nintendo of America has gone after the Link's Awakening DX HD fan project, less than a day after the fangame gained publicity online. Once hosted on Itch.io, The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX HD has been removed from the platform, following a DMCA takedown from Nintendo. The notice, shown below, cites copyright infringement for uploading a fully playable version of a Nintendo game. The Link's Awakening fangame was uploaded only after it was completed, though, meaning a backup likely still lurks somewhere on the internet.

To Whom It May Concern:

I am an authorized representative of Nintendo of America Inc., owner of the following copyrighted material:

PA0002212311 (The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening) and PA0000772666 (Legend of Zelda : Link's awakening (Game Boy version).

It has come to our attention that the following game, https://linksawakeningdxhd.itch.io/links-awakening-dx-hd, offered on Itch.io infringes and makes unauthorized use of Nintendo’s copyrights in The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening video game.

For additional information visit Nintendo’s website at the following URLs:

https://www.nintendo.com/us/store/products/game-boy-nintendo-switch-online-switc...

https://www.nintendo.com/us/store/products/the-legend-of-zelda-links-awakening-s...

Please act expeditiously to remove the download and information page for the infringing game.

I have a good faith belief that the material is not authorized by the intellectual property owner, its agent, or the law. The information provided in the notice is accurate, and I swear under penalty of perjury that I am authorized to make the complaint on behalf of the intellectual property owner.

Sincerely,

Nintendo Legal

Nintendo of America Inc.

:arrow: Source

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
i never said Nintendo wasn't a business thing back then. Even with Satoru, it was a business thing.
However, back with Satoru Iwata, we could at least feel the "video game are for fun" thing.
Are you really going to say you still feel the "VG are for fun" ambience just like back then?
Are you really going to say you never felt that back then?

Yes it was a business thing, but they still gave us a show worthy of a video game company.
Today, we just dont see that anymore. Go look at Nintendo direct back then vs the ones we have these days.
It's totally different. Hell, even the CEO... Back then, we could see Iwata everywhere. The current CEO... we only have a handful of pictures of him. We don't see him at all compared to sir Iwata...
It is very unfortunate

Your post, to me at least, came across as someone thinking 'old' Nintendo wouldn't do something ****y like this, but the truth is they've always been an a***hole company.

TBH I haven't watched a Direct in a long time, although granted I just think of Iwata holding a bunch of bananas without knowing the context.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Your post, to me at least, came across as someone thinking 'old' Nintendo wouldn't do something ****y like this, but the truth is they've always been an a***hole company.

TBH I haven't watched a Direct in a long time, although granted I just think of Iwata holding a bunch of bananas without knowing the context.
i never said that either. Of course they did such thing. What I'm saying is they ALSO gave us this feeling of video game is for entertainement. It is something we no longer have.
Back then, we had the "this compayny has great people, it's good" AND the "this conmpany threat the fanbase like shit"
Today, we only have the "this company threat the fanbase like shit"
That's a big difference. +1(positive stuff)-1(negative stuff)=0(okay), but when you only have the negative, then you only see negative stuff. THAT is what I'm complaining about. Nintendo doesn't give us the feeling we had before with people like Satoru Iwata.

Reactions: tech3475

nWo

The Game Master
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Mexico
They have always been like this, but on the later years, holy shit, they are really being very shit.

This president has been a complete asshole. No presence, no good news, no amusing shows, nothing.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
more proof that nintendo hates you they only love your money
I wish some people at nintendo would take their balls and do like Frost Giants Studio did.
Many devs at Blizzard were tired of the policies and the path the company was taking. So they left and founded their own company.

DragonMals

6th-7th Gen Retro Gaming Entusiast
Trophies
Country
United States
Just wanted to tag three people on the fourms on the initial post that immediately knew that it was going to get a C&D.

But hey. Who didn't think that Nintendo was going to see one of their games get remade in someway and take action against it?

1702670670980.png
1702670677856.png
1702670699282.png

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They have always been like this, but on the later years, holy shit, they are really being very shit.

This president has been a complete asshole. No presence, no good news, no amusing shows, nothing.
Well, when you dont give a show in front of the camera, you don't distract your fanbase from all the shut you do.
If you don't give them a reason to love you, but you give them reason to hate you, don't be surprised if your fanbase hate you XD

PacBunnyXV07

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Jacobh

Trophies
XP
Country
I can respect a wide variety of opinion about Nintendo’s strategy around fan made content and its relationship with those groups.

The idea that Nintendo is doing something morally, ethically, or legally questionable in this case is wrong though. Nintendo’s business is based on the value of their IP (Mario, Zelda, Pokémon, etc.) and the quality of their games in a way that is different than other game companies. Once Nintendo becomes aware of someone releasing a “remake” of an existing game they currently sell with assets that belong to Nintendo, IP law basically requires Nintendo to do something if they want to maintain control over that IP.

That doesn’t mean Nintendo is perfect or doesn’t go to far at times. But there are tons of “fan” related content using Nintendo characters all over YouTube and other places that Nintendo doesn’t do anything about. One reason there are more stories about Nintendo going after people is they have stronger IP that more people use in ways that aren’t legal.

PacBunnyXV07

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can respect a wide variety of opinion about Nintendo’s strategy around fan made content and its relationship with those groups.

The idea that Nintendo is doing something morally, ethically, or legally questionable in this case is wrong though. Nintendo’s business is based on the value of their IP (Mario, Zelda, Pokémon, etc.) and the quality of their games in a way that is different than other game companies. Once Nintendo becomes aware of someone releasing a “remake” of an existing game they currently sell with assets that belong to Nintendo, IP law basically requires Nintendo to do something if they want to maintain control over that IP.

That doesn’t mean Nintendo is perfect or doesn’t go to far at times. But there are tons of “fan” related content using Nintendo characters all over YouTube and other places that Nintendo doesn’t do anything about. One reason there are more stories about Nintendo going after people is they have stronger IP that more people use in ways that aren’t legal.
Even tho you're right, people are gonna hate what you said.

Dungeonseeker

Trophies
XP
Country

Except we now have multiple examples of this mindset not only being wrong but hurtful to the bottom line.

When RE3 & REVC came out there was a huge spike in players buying the old games so they could use the assets to play the games in a new way. Heck that was almost certainly the entire reason R* did the demastered versions.

A fan made sonic game literally spawned an entirely new series, it was so good Sega bought the team on to create the new series.

When Mega Maker released we had the old guard trying to capitalise on its boost in popularity (and utterly failing) with mighty number 9.

Fan projects don't hurt IP, they help them. Nintendo is just stuck in the stone age and refuses to accept the reality of 2023. Streamers sell games and fans keep them alive long after they die officially, almost everyone has realised this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Only thing you catch are STDs. +1