1. realtimesave

OP realtimesave Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    A friend of mine gave me a DSi XL for free but it won't charge. He was charging the battery in an external charger. Battery works 100% fine but when I try to charge it, it won't charge and the LED indicator for charging does not turn on. The system powers on fine and plays games.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks

2. IC_

IC_ GBAtemp Maniac

Poland
    It could be the charging port, a fuse, a broken charging IC or the charger itself but I'm guessing you're sure that your charger is working
    Do you have a multimeter and any experience taking apart and working with electronics? You could open the DSi to check those things inside.

KleinesSinchen likes this.
  3. KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen GBAtemp's backup reminder + fearless testing Sina

Germany
    There is a tiny fuse (F1) very near to the charging port (and another one on the power board - which is not the issue here as a DSi won't turn on when the fuse on the power board is blown).

For instructions how to safely open a DSi XL see ifixit.com. This is a motherboard replacement guide - you can obviously stop for checking fuses and charging port as soon as the back cover is off (step 7).

IC_ likes this.
  4. realtimesave

Newcomer

United States
    Oh yeah it has been a while since I opened it. I remember checking a fuse nearby the charging port and it gets continuity so it should be ok. Charging port seems fine but maybe I should double check that. Yeah the charger works, I have more than one charger too.

I'm wondering if you guys think it has a blown charging LED and is causing an open circuit? Not sure what else it could be.

5. IC_

IC_ GBAtemp Maniac

Poland
    The charging LED is not in the charging circuit like that, I'm pretty sure it's just turned on by some microcontroller or the main processor. If all the fuses and the charging port are fine then it's probably a broken charging IC, I also can't think of anything else that could be causing the issue.

KleinesSinchen likes this.
  6. realtimesave

Newcomer

United States
    Oh I hadn't thought of a broken charging IC. I'll have to look into that. Thanks :)

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Hmm I found that the charging IC is the NEC one with a bunch of legs on it. So seems like this is beyond repair as that would be too difficult to remove and solder in a new one.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Nintendo, charge,