Hardware Nintendo DS Lite's displays white / very bright

Fabyyulous

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey everyone,

I couldn't find any information on this: My old DS-Lite has a problem with both screens. They both turn nearly completely white all the time unless I press very hard against the back of the lower casing. You can still see things, I guess you could say it loses all the saturation so it becomes very bright. This affects both screens entirely, not just in certain spots.

I hope you can help me out, because I'm not sure which part is broken. Maybe a loose contact?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Could be several things, though both screens all at once would speak more to the electrical world than delamination of the polarising layers in the LCD screens (would usually expect to see that creeping before total, and one screen at a time). I don't know that I have seen this specifically for the DS lite before either in general or a failure in some other repair/disassembly, but it is about the time (probably started being made in 2005, to be sold in early 2006) we start to expect to see the weird and wonderful failures. Have seen similar things in other devices over the years though.

Pushing can change two main things.
1) Some kind of ribbon cable being loose, though each screen is independent and on opposite sides of the board which makes this questionable at some level. I would not expect force to repair two cracked ribbons at once.
2) It flexes a board* which makes a bad connection good, though again both screens at once is odd.

*it is not impossible that a warped case causes issues.

If you can find another working DS lite you might try transplanting the board. This might be easier said than done though (days of cheap DS lites seem to be over, maybe you get lucky though).

More likely then you get to remove the panels and see what goes when the board is exposed (possibly even by itself if you are really bored).
Obvious things to look at would be the ribbon connectors (they might be close enough) and pathways from the video related chips to them (basically what is connected to the ribbon connectors).
Desaturating while backlights remain on would speak to something after it gets turned into the slightly more analogue signal the screens take in being troubled.
Hopefully it is some leg on the chip or some resistor to it, maybe connector, that suffered a bit of a creep failure such that you can reflow it and carry on with life (if you have a hot air station or IR setup available to you then might even consider a reflow, possibly even just the likely trouble areas, just as a course of action -- if you have the board out already then it is a quick and easy process with minimal risk if you know what you are doing*).

*probably not dealing with crazy precision stuff here so amounts to be careful of plastic things, don't burn it and don't have the air up so high that it blows your components off the board when the solder goes liquid.

Looks like a reasonable video on pulling it apart which is also where you will find the ribbons in question to reseat if you wanted to start there first.

Reactions: Fabyyulous

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nah we have well established 401ks health insurance and paid daily