Nintendo DS lite replica housing

-Micky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
I have a problem with a replica housing for the Nintendo DS lite. Start and Select's writing goes off. Any idea to fix this?

Micky

JomasterII

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Are you having a problem with the text rubbing off? If that's the issue, then might I suggest trying some varnish/clear coat? A light spray of that on that one piece of the housing would help.

Reactions: x65943

-Micky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Yes, the text is rubbing off. Good idea with the clear coat. Will see what kind of light spray is the best for the plastic from the housing.

Micky

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Are there no vinyls (though might not find one as cool as mine https://gbatemp.net/attachments/nora_on_ds-jpg.304904/ ) around any more?

As far as sprays go then I don't know what they would have used for such replacements -- if it was ghost shift PC-ABS combo then that can be one thing, though I saw all types back in the day including some more exotic plastics and that says nothing about the writing itself which might be screen printed with something else entirely. Lacquers and clear glues can use all sorts of solvents which might well see that wipe straight off or cause troubles for the plastic (acetone and various plastics), not to mention disassembling a lite to get to that point where it is not going to gum up the buttons (though I guess you could possibly tape it off) is annoying.

Possible option is superglue in a brush form, though superglue and various plastics are also not always the best of friends.

Option the third. Fire up a CNC laser or CNC engraver and cut into the plastic -- such toys with suitable accuracy are reasonably common in hackerspaces, makerspaces, universities and the like and it might take longer to align the DS in the thing than do the deed or design the text (many things will have text entry directly in the managing software, and others will be able to import a basic image you whip up in seconds in your chosen image editor or preferably a vector editor).

-Micky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
With spray you never know what happend with the plastic and the text. I think it is to risky.

Vinyl skin is a very good idea.

Micky

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Metoroid0 @ Metoroid0: im more interested in metroid prime 4