Nintendo considering multiple tablet support for the Wii U

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by p1ngpong, Nov 8, 2011.

1. p1ngpong
    OP

Supervisor p1ngpong Legit Boss Harold

Croatia
    [​IMG]

It is being reported that Nintendo are reconsidering their previously held stance of only allowing one tablet controller to be usable with their upcoming Wii U console. When the Wii U was unveiled at this years E3, Nintendo disappointingly revealed that the Wii U's tablet like controllers would not be sold separately, and that the Wii U would only have the capability to support one tablet at a time, with any other players using Wiimotes instead. The main reason behind this decision being the restrictive cost of the tablet controllers.

But the general disappointment at that announcement has apparently made Nintendo reconsider, and they are reportedly endeavouring to allow support for at least one more tablet for the Wii U, however it is unlikely that more than two will be supported.

A source is quoted as saying: "Nintendo now know they absolutely need to support two tablets,"

"At E3 they didn't commit to this, but they know how important it is to make it technically feasible to support two screens. Even if that affects framerate, as a developer and player, I don't care. It needs to work. Developers will design appropriate games for this. If you're building a quiz game you're not going to give a shit about the framerate."

[​IMG] Source

1 person likes this.

2. xxNathanxx

Member xxNathanxx GBAtemp Regular

Tonga
    I couldn't care less if the WiiU had one controller or sixteen, as long as the games are nice I'll buy anything.

1 person likes this.
  3. Heran Bago

Member Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    The rumors about dev kits and the very slow (currently) bluetooth connection with the tablets really make me think it isn't feasible without a very drastic redesign.

4. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    It begins.

6 people like this.
  5. gameandmatch

Member gameandmatch GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Well we will see what Nintendo plans to.

6. yuyuyup

Member yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    If this is true, I'm willing to bet the awful "Wii U" name will be changed, since the U reflects an individual using 1 tablet controller (at least that's how I understand the name.) Jesus God what an awful name. I've mentioned this joke in another post but it shall be respammed: WHAT IS THIS, A VIDGAME OR WIENER COLLEGE ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? I'm ashamed of myself for retelling a shitty joke.

7. pistone

Member pistone GBAtemp Advanced Fan

in your heart...coz secretly you love me !!!!
    Albania
    well it would be nice ,also i dont think that the wiiu tablet/controller will be connected thorough blue-tooth more prob by wifi

8. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Seems kinda stupid if they didn't. Considering the Wii was all about "family fun", aka local co-op, hampering that with only one controller seems like a giant contradiction.

And if you say "YOU CAN USE THE WIIMOTE/CLASSIC CONTROLLER", then games have to be developed to support those without giving tablet users a big edge. Which makes the tablet entirely redundant. Which means you basically just would have a Wii HD at that point. Which means you should've just got a Xbox 360/PS3/high end PC at that point.

I really don't see myself buying Nintendo again for a good couple of years. Maybe a 3DS when it's really cheap on the used market and game prices also drop drastically on the used market but definitely not the Wii U.

1 person likes this.
  9. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States
    Tablet looks like a 3DS - 2 front cameras and an extra screen, + circle pad.

I sense a lot of redundancy here, period.

10. qlum

Member qlum Posting when needed

Netherlands
    if the controller itself is cheap enough and if people get the thing to run of a pc I would happily buy the thing, I've always wanted a potable touch screen

11. SS4

Member SS4 GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    If it gets a decent custom firmware like the wii i might get one down the line when the price is about 200$

12. tigris

Member tigris Sentient Existential Anthropomorphic Sweet Potato

United Kingdom
    Finally, a group of like-minded individuals that don't think the controller is the may.ost awesome invention since air. Which wasn't invented anyway.

13. TehSkull

Member TehSkull Living the life

United States
    I'm thinking it'll also need a better video card to be able to display those extra screens of unique content. I agree though, they should definitely look into faster connection methods besides Bluetooth.

That alone may delay the launch by 6 months (personal prediction), which in that case, they may as well wait a bit longer for the holiday season.

Edit: Had a thought: Perhaps by using multiple Bluetooth transmitters and receivers they could speed up the process, but that's just a theory. I'm not sure what the maximum speed bluetooth is capable of at this point in time, and what the technical maximum is could ever reach is. Anyone know this information?

Edit2: Bluetooth max speed: 25Mbit/s. Maybe Nintendo should consider using Wi-fi Direct, which maxes out at 250Mbit/s. That should be more than enough to cover multiple tablets worth of content.

14. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    I'd like to remind you that the Wii is the Wii, and the WiiU is supposed to be a return to the roots and to the core gamer, mostly with Singleplayer or Online Multiplayer. Many would preffere "on the same couch" Multi to be concluded, hence the cries for having the option of connecting two, but with the target in mind, it's not a necessity.

Bluetooth currently has transfer speeds of even 24 Mbits/s and requires no change, what they have to work on is the way the internal microcontroller deals with the recieved data. Remember, the controller only gets an "image" generated by the console and sends out button input, nothing more, nothing less. It's not a whole lot of stuff to process.

The one they're jamming in already is the best one used in consoles yet, anything higher than that will mean a much pricier end product. This one is entirely sufficient.

1 person likes this.
  15. T3GZdev

Member T3GZdev head of T3GZdev

United States
    so wii u games will be 6 players now?
    [​IMG]

imagine COD in 6player split screen, :ninja:
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    You do realize those were just concept games? It's likely that none of this will see the light of day. Other than than, "probably", depends on the developers.

17. DiscostewSM

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Which wouldn't change anything from the perspective of using extra screens, because developers would then use that extra power to graphically enhance the games from a single-player PoV, and be in the same position as before.

They could always cut the framerate in half when using 2 screens so the same amount of data gets sent out.

18. T3GZdev

Member T3GZdev head of T3GZdev

United States
    i just edited that post. also i thought super monkey ball was confirmed. also its almost certain to have cod. :ninja:

19. TehSkull

Member TehSkull Living the life

United States
    Well they could either dedicate the power to the extra controllers, or the enhancement of power could be allowed to be allocated to either singleplayer or to extra screens in multiplayer. I see no reason why having both available puts them in a bad position.

20. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    It seems really stupid of them to make a console sold to the casual gamer and then make their next console completely alienate them. They are definitely aiming for a casual audience, if they didn't they'd have Gamecube level failures.