OP
Trophies
Website
dionicio3.com
XP
Country
United States
H2x1_NintendoNetwork_support_960x544.jpg

Nintendo has just announced about 160,000 Nintendo accounts with Nintendo Network IDs linked to then have been compromised, in a recent support page on the Japanese site. Nintendo, in response, has removed the ability to log in using your NNID, reset the passwords for all effected accounts,and encourages you to contact them for any support with unauthorized transactions made by compromised accounts. They also reccomend using different passwords for your Nintendo account and NNID, as well as enabling Two-Factor Authentication.

EDIT: Nintnedo UK has just added a support page to their site, with Nintendo US expected to follow soon.

:arrow: Source (Nintendo JP)
:arrow: Source (Nintendo UK)

Last edited by Dionicio3,

Dionicio3

goat
OP
Trophies
Website
dionicio3.com
XP
Country
United States
Moral of the story, don't have potato security when options like 2-step verification and shit have been a thing for years.
Nintendo has 2FA, same method the temp uses, NNID was used as an alternative sign in method. If you signed in using your NNID on an account with 2FA, it would still ask for your 2FA code

Last edited by Dionicio3,

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Nintnedo has 2FA, same method the temp uses, NNID was used as an alternative sign in method. If you signed in using your NNID on an account with 2FA, it would still ask for your 2FA code
I actually had no idea Nintendo had 2FA until very recently. I made my account years ago and wasn't offered 2FA (I could be wrong, this is from memory,) and it seems like most of the posts talking about Nintendo's 2FA aren't directly from Nintendo. My point, it seemed like Nintendo missed some good opportunities to be aggressive about 2FA and I don't think many people really knew they had it until things went tits up. I could be wrong, I am still trying to figure out when they added 2FA or if it's been there the entire time and Nintendo just wasn't aggressive about it like they should have been.

WarioWaffles

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hate how everything needs an account and ID and everyone wants all your info too, one day your old club penguin login will be the entry point to steal your pension while you're dying in a hospice.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, it wasnt aimed at you but ok