Hacking Discussion Nintendo banning from CDN

Lpckid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You update with real carts and we post update to games in nsp files so stop being scared we got it so stop crying I can't update .

Reactions: Subtle Demise

elrayo

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Hey guys, do you think that in the future we'll be able to unban our Switch console? Like in the past with 3DS. I wonder if there is a possibility

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Like what does GameStop do now, to prevent people from trading in banned consoles? They gotta test system update?

The same as companies in the UK do, take a banned console into CEX or Game and they are going to hook it up to WiFi and if it refuses to check for an update you get a waggy finger and handed your banned console back. You could also run foul of the law for committing fraud ☹️

masterspike52

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The same as companies in the UK do, take a banned console into CEX or Game and they are going to hook it up to WiFi and if it refuses to check for an update you get a waggy finger and handed your banned console back. You could also run foul of the law for committing fraud ☹️
in america all gamestop does is check to see if it works

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it really fraud tho?

Reactions: andyhappypants

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If they asked me "is it banned" and I knowingly lied then I can see it being fraud, however proving the knowing part might be harder (and I would say it is on them to do so). Just wandering into a shop and asking to sell it I can not see being fraud. Would be their choice to take, change offer or refuse it based on that but fraud from the outset is a different matter.

Hey guys, do you think that in the future we'll be able to unban our Switch console? Like in the past with 3DS. I wonder if there is a possibility
We have total control from boot on the Switch, and while some things happen in a hidden section it is similarly compromised and what happens there is fairly low power/simple.

To that end yes you probably will be able to take a working key set from another device and inject it into yours. I have no idea of a timeframe for such a thing, nor the price such a key set will end up going for*, to say nothing of when hacks might be geared such that you are not just going to get banned right away (there is a large difference between tweaking it to play user code and tweaking it to do that and not trip any checks made and nobody is really doing the latter at this point). However that was not what you asked.

*for stuff like the 360 there were endless supplies of red ring consoles people could bring back for 10 minutes to get the keys. At the same time people considered online a valuable concept there (not sure why but hey) which also changed things.

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
soon, with the release of new switch modle, that's mean less hacked switch.
with this it will be hard to find nsp files, unless
1-someone sacrafice his own switch, or
2- someone finds a way to convert xci to nsp (but that's means no eshop game and dlc and updates)
3- return to the old days of 3DS, someone need to buy the game from his hacked switch then dump it, however if nintendo banned the access from eshop for legit buyer then it willbe a problem.
4- Generate a fake certificates (which is very unlikly to happens).

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As I understand it we have boot launched hacks.
Surely someone can boot clean. Buy/download whatever is necessary. Boot hacked mode (or duplicate the NAND into said hacked mode). Dump in said hacked mode. Share with the world (possibly after scrubbing any keys they want to share with people).

This is fairly standard practice for most things. You might be going doom and gloom prematurely.

Zayuke

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Don't worry, this is not likely to happen to you if you don't abuse your leftover CDN access after getting banned. Basically, a normal ban consists of the console being unable to connect with dauth which is the server that handles the eShop and online play. There is another server by the name of atum which is typically used for game and system updates. The problem is using a CDN downloader you can actually access the eShop through atum allowing you to pirate after a ban. This new ban cuts off access with atum meaning you lose access to all content from the CDN with your Switch.

EDIT: @V-Temp I understand you were answering her question, but I would prefer you also add in the pertinent facts so it doesn't appear as fear mongering. These superbans are going to be realistically applied to a small subset of people.

Drax, from this i understand there are 2 kinds of bans, the soft one and the deep one ( CDN). My question is, if i just download the nsp backups from a safe place, and install them using reiNX always offline, im exposing myself to the soft ban but not the deep one right?..
I ask this because thats what im planning to do with my switch, i just want to use homebrew apps, and play nsp or xci backups but dont plan to use the freeshop thingy, dont want to mess directly into nintendo servers.

Thanks in advance.

Paulsar99

Trophies
XP
Country
Togo
Drax, from this i understand there are 2 kinds of bans, the soft one and the deep one ( CDN). My question is, if i just download the nsp backups from a safe place, and install them using reiNX always offline, im exposing myself to the soft ban but not the deep one right?..
I ask this because thats what im planning to do with my switch, i just want to use homebrew apps, and play nsp or xci backups but dont plan to use the freeshop thingy, dont want to mess directly into nintendo servers.

Thanks in advance.
As long as you avoid going to their eshop and downloading stuffs there illegally then soft ban (No eshop and mp) is probably the worst thing that could happen to you.

Reactions: Draxzelex

Zayuke

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
As long as you avoid going to their eshop and downloading stuffs there illegally then soft ban (No eshop and mp) is probably the worst thing that could happen to you.

Thanks for the response, my jig arrives tomorow, so i'll start testing stuff, hope just using the backups like this doesnt give problems.
Freeshop sure is tempting to use, but knowing it download things directly from N servers its a clear no to me.

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
As I understand it we have boot launched hacks.
Surely someone can boot clean. Buy/download whatever is necessary. Boot hacked mode (or duplicate the NAND into said hacked mode). Dump in said hacked mode. Share with the world (possibly after scrubbing any keys they want to share with people).

This is fairly standard practice for most things. You might be going doom and gloom prematurely.
soo, emunand, right?

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Dunno why this surprises people...I wrote a technical post last year saying exactly this would happen: https://www.reddit.com/r/SwitchHacks/comments/759myu/the_eshop_and_cdn_explained_switch_edition/

Please keep in mind, especially if you've been misbehaving -- Nintendo can tell who is downloading what.
Just curious, if you were to run CDNSP-like code on your Switch, that sent a certificate that was from a different console, would there still be enough other info for Nintendo to identify your own console?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I like my girls like my car made in 2000
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I like my products new, not buying a box of condoms (renewed)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You already learned from buying used condoms from the first kid
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tyrone said it was barley used
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wonder whatever happened to that ownage pranks guy
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I dont know why people hate on Starfield, I think its dope. I didn't play it day one, only started it couple weeks ago so maybe they fixed issues with updates already.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Microsoft could release a poop simulator and people will say it's shit
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Hold up hooolddd uuupppp, we're less than a week from PM:TTYD releasing and it has not leaked yet? :o Miracles do still exist in this dystopia 🤣
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True. People hated on Fallout 76 at first also, but they still have huge numbers playing online.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What is PM:TTYD
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I think I played that one
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    (i.e. Nintendos' next first party switch title/remake)
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Meh, I want metroid 4
    I have a refurbished hard drive like 8TBs just use it for movies and music so if it blows up nothing I can't replace lol
    +1
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    I mean almost every first party switch title of the past year or two leaked at least a week in advance for a while now haven't they?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not all of them, but yea many.
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Metroid prime 4 I wouldn't be surprised if that title will be a SwitchU title (here's hoping Nintendo won't go with such a ridiculous name again)
    +1
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Hence me saying almost 🤣
    But for photos and OS and my ROMs not risking it on a refurbished drive lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have you checked both the brew and 2u sites?
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    But yes I would welcome MP4 too or even 2+3 remaster/HD to hold us over untill MP4
    +1
    Switch 2 Switched at birth
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    I check brew almost daily (alongside tinfoil sorted on release date) for new games (and cry because of the amount of shovelware and hentai getting released), am unaware of the 2u site
    Super Switch
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Super Switch