Hacking Discussion Nintendo banning from CDN

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just gonna chime in a second about the LA Noire thing. The case for La Noire is a little special because it tells you right on the cover that you are required to have an internet connection and sd card, which implies downloading will have to be done upon usage of the cartridge. This only furthers the argument that upon tampering with your device or the cdn, you are relinquishing your right via the user agreement to downloads, updating, etc.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

More like continuing their past incompetence.
How are they incompetent? It is only because of Nvidia we have all of these hacks. Nintendo fucked over hackers this time around and these bans are further proof of that.

Attachments

• s-l400-1.jpg
    s-l400-1.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 290
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

dkabot

Better With Others' Systems Than Their Own
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't do anything.

What I mean is, they haven't the right to render their product useless in any capacity even if you've broke the agreement.
Banning from CDN doesn't really brick the system, but prevents you from updating your console and playing future games, for instance.

There's also the case for games such as LA Noire as @LightOffPro mentioned above.
There's a reason that game carts come with updates on them; if a new game comes out that needs 6.0 to run, you can still play it via your legitimate cart just fine.

Reactions: 011.guilherme

Jaimy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@GRAnimated and @yadspi and the OP, and probably anyone not to long from now who used FreeShop which uses the personal cert. They've also banned public certs.

Don't think OP was the cert donor for the public variant, pretty sure that's also FreeShop.

I went through the discord conversation. OP seems to be the original donor of the cert used in HACDN and CDNSP right from the beginning.

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I went through the discord conversation. OP seems to be the original donor of the cert used in HACDN and CDNSP right from the beginning.

Fair enough. The others are FreeShop. But I also don't see many being eager to donate certs now.

Luhof

Trophies
Website
luhof.fr
XP
Country
France
There's a reason that game carts come with updates on them; if a new game comes out that needs 6.0 to run, you can still play it via your legitimate cart just fine.

This. If you were going to accept the online play ban, why would you want to keep an internet connexion active at all anyway ?
Sure, having this freeshop cert thing unusable removes convenience for pirates, but having to download .nsp and updates offline (on your favorite warez board filled with share-online links that opens 12 pop-up each) to put them on your microSD (or transfer them using a FTP homebrew) is still free gaemz...

Do people REALLY need ability to download the latest firmware version the day it's available ? :mellow:
Idk yet if you'll be able to update firmware with simple .xci files though...

Reactions: KhenemetHeru

lembi2001

Trophies
XP
Country
HOLD UP!

I just checked the url at the end of the video posted by OP and found this little nugget:

This was under Past Maintenance Information:

Login Using Nintendo Network ID
During the times specified below, we experienced technical difficulties with our network service.
At this time, the network service is back up and running.
We apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Date and time
From (approx.) Monday, 23 July 2018 7:12to Monday, 23 July 2018 11:30
Affected services
All network services

Now I'm not saying that they aren't banning people but the error code (2137-7403) doesn't match other ban codes we have seen. Can anyone do another proof of video showing that they are actually CDN banned?

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/netinfo/en_GB/archive_network.html

dkabot

Better With Others' Systems Than Their Own
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This. If you were going to accept the online play ban, why would you want to keep an internet connexion active at all anyway ?
Sure, having this freeshop cert thing unusable removes convenience for pirates, but having to download .nsp and updates offline (on your favorite warez board filled with share-online links that opens 12 pop-up each) to put them on your microSD (or transfer them using a FTP homebrew) is still free gaemz...

Do people REALLY need ability to download the latest firmware version the day it's available ? :mellow:
Idk yet if you'll be able to update firmware with simple .xci files though...
I don't have SX personally to test but I've heard it is something you can do.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
People want to sue Nintendo because they didn't allow downloads from their servers outside of a Switch for what is obviously piracy purposes? Gee, you guys are on a new level.

Other than the offhand comment from ByteBite I am not sure what you are looking at for this one. The 3ds banning thread on the other hand...

How are they incompetent? It is only because of Nvidia we have all of these hacks. Nintendo fucked over hackers this time around and these bans are further proof of that.

It was referring to past incompetence -- Network security has been a big, widely taught and well understood concept since... probably the time the internet was taking off and people were getting taken down over and over again. Which is to say the SNES was still current at this point. In spite of that this is the first time Nintendo has shown any real teeth when it comes to their online security and examples are plentiful of their earlier works being made by people that were wholly incompetent (the 3ds on cart header/key/certificate files for instance, good plan but only a complete moron would not tie the key/cert to the software it is supposed to be from and look what they did. Similar the thing that allowed the pokemon network sniffing tools -- only a complete drooling moron would send hidden game data in a game where said hidden data is valuable to the game in predictable plaintext before the selection is made... but look what happened).

Also blame Nvidia is not a terribly solid plan -- if you are going to attempt a secure system you get to know it from the bottom to the top and this would fall under a failure to do that. Microsoft did something kind of similar in the original xbox (see the 17 mistakes) where they swapped from AMD to Intel late in the day and failed to understand the security ramifications of such a thing)

Ironic considering firmware updates are part of their fight against piracy

Oh? If they have banned you for modding then the game is already essentially lost for them. They still get the benefits of people having to redo hacks for updates and no real other downsides than them denying you the easy chance to pay them for downloadable content.

LysergCooltyp

I don't know why the microwave burns
Trophies
XP
Country
Used CDNSP-GUI-Bob-v3 about a week or two ago and was scared for a moment whether or not that triggered a CDN ban. Luckily it didn't. Removed my internet connection entirey, until I need it to update to a new firmware.

While I assume XCIs are still fine, is it also save to use NSP files through dev menu or will that flag you for a CDN ban?

I'm sure this was answered already, but going through 8 pages of maybe isn't worth the hassle.

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Used CDNSP-GUI-Bob-v3 about a week or two ago and was scared for a moment whether or not that triggered a CDN ban. Luckily it didn't. Removed my internet connection entirey, until I need it to update to a new firmware.

While I assume XCIs are still fine, is it also save to use NSP files through dev menu or will that flag you for a CDN ban?

I'm sure this was answered already, but going through 8 pages of maybe isn't worth the hassle.

Superbans are only for using the CDN abusing tools for now.

Bitbyte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
HOLD UP!

I just checked the url at the end of the video posted by OP and found this little nugget:

This was under Past Maintenance Information:

Now I'm not saying that they aren't banning people but the error code (2137-7403) doesn't match other ban codes we have seen. Can anyone do another proof of video showing that they are actually CDN banned?

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/netinfo/en_GB/archive_network.html

Nice find! Hopefully this was the cause :D

Luhof

Trophies
Website
luhof.fr
XP
Country
France
Is there a way to install update and DLC directly without accessing Nintendo server yet?

Yes, only using DevMenu for now.

maybe

Reactions: askara

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: My epeen is very important to me lol