Discussion Nintendo banning from CDN

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by zkitX, Jul 23, 2018.

1. c80

c80 Banned

Banned
    Jun 1, 2018
    Germany
    It's pronounced Nucular!

2. LysergCooltyp

LysergCooltyp I don't know why the microwave burns

Nov 4, 2011
    Cheers, so back to manually downloading NSP files and installing them through dev menu it is.

3. Bitbyte

Bitbyte GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 20, 2003
    Belgium
    ._________.
    Yes, but it was server maintenance too. Who says he disn'd get the error due to that?

4. V-Temp

V-Temp GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 20, 2017
    United States
    Because no one else had a problem yet only those abusing FreeShop-like things did? The person banned in the OP was the one most likely to be banned for sharing his cert.

5. Subtle Demise

Subtle Demise h

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    More like a class action lawsuit for people who have bought maybe $100+ in digital games and can't access them if/when Nintendo decides to enact a superban on any console that ran CFW at any point in history.

6. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Last edited by Draxzelex, Jul 23, 2018
    c80, UnrulyMess and Subtle Demise like this.
  7. V-Temp

V-Temp GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 20, 2017
    United States
    Also, there was no maintenance last night/today. The last maintenance was on the 20th, the next maintenance is for Splatoon on the 23rd.

Whatever Nintendo did, it did it with purpose and without prior warning.

8. Song of storms

Song of storms GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 18, 2018
    Antarctica
    Nintendo sells services to let you play the games on their consoles. If you do anything to break the contract of said services, they're within their rights to remove your privilege from using their services.

This is why you should always read the long, boring ToS before any purchase or installation. Unless you already know that you shouldn't do anything stupid.

Also yes, there's a certain amount of tolerance where Nintendo doesn't and shouldn't care, but modding your console to play free games isn't one of them.

9. kitzuki

kitzuki GBAtemp Regular

Jan 29, 2008
    United States
    I think nintendo kept most of this for CDN the same so they could bait people into using it to get rid of them early.

Downloading eshop stuff directly this early in has always been waaaaay to risque

10. lembi2001

lembi2001 GBAtemp Fan

Dec 29, 2015
    You are right there was no maintenance, there was however services down at the same time the OP connected. We just need more people to confirm if they are banned or not with their personal certs. Not a massive issue, no need to try and prove you are the only person who knows what is going on.

I even stated that I never said they weren't banning anyone but it seems a little coincidental that at the same time this thread was created, there were network services down does it not?

11. R0ME0

R0ME0 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 27, 2015
    United States
    Interesting way to go about it. Are you sure it'll work when you restore nand? Are you going to also format SD?

Edit: stupid mobile, this is meant to quote MetaLik

12. Noroxus

Noroxus Margen67 Supporter

Jul 7, 2013
    Germany
    Glorious Nippon
    Alright so not only did Nintendo start to ban people from CDN they also used a romsite for damages up to 100$ million US dollaroos.

Is this the new Nintendo president going bananas?

13. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    ROM sites get smacked down all the time, have done for many years now. High values being assigned to such things being nothing new either -- you do it just to say you did, as a deterrent for future cases and all that jazz.

Similarly I don't see why you wouldn't try to ban people that tried (or indeed succeeded in) hacking your servers.

It all seems like fairly normal behaviour from where I sit.

14. V-Temp

V-Temp GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 20, 2017
    United States
    I'm confused. What service down was there? Do you mean the OPs error?

15. reyyesrey

reyyesrey Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 9, 2015
    United States
    New York, New York
    I'm not banned.

16. V-Temp

V-Temp GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 20, 2017
    United States
    Not too surprising, there were others not banned and testing when the news broke.

They seem to have hit any overused certs and some FreeShop ones but we don't know what they were doing or how obvious their actions were.

Last edited by V-Temp, Jul 23, 2018
  17. lembi2001

lembi2001 GBAtemp Fan

Dec 29, 2015
    This @V-Temp

V-Temp likes this.
  18. cearp

cearp 瓜老外

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    Sony does it, M$ too, Amazon even.
    If you abuse your Amazon account, you lose access to your ebooks and giftcard balance.
    I'm not a lawyer but, probably in USA it's all legal.

19. Rikua

Rikua Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    So assuming you've downloaded from CDNSP (Via PC, not directly on switch) and installed nsp's but have stayed offline since the release of Devmenu, still a pretty high chance of FULL bannage? Or is the full ban just to the provider of the cert? Also, if anyone thinks that "Just installing .nsp's in devmenu is safe", I can only assume you're wrong as most of, if not all of them were downloaded using the exact same cert.

20. Noroxus

Noroxus Margen67 Supporter

Jul 7, 2013
    Germany
    Glorious Nippon
    From a logical perspective it does seem like normal behaviour. The thing is that Nintendo was very apathetic to all of this or atleast unable to react to all of these things.
    They are cracking down hard now. Not saying it not normal but I am not used to them reacting like that :)

Friendsxix and Subtle Demise like this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted