Hardware Nintendo 3DS uses DMP's PICA200 GPU

ryan90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Instead of going with the rumored Nvidia Tegra chip to power the display in the 3DS, Nintendo has chosen a product from Digital Media Professionals. The Japanese hardware company announced last night that its PICA200 chip was selected by Nintendo as the GPU in the Nintendo 3DS.

DMP boasts that the 200MHz chip can provide 15.3 million polygons a second, 800 million pixels a second, and can perform alpha blending, full-scene antialiasing, and other features

PICA200 features proprietary DMP 3D graphics extensions “Maestro technology”. By hardware implementation of complex
shader functionality, these extensions allow the high performance graphics rendering found on existing high-end products
to be realized on mobile devices with low power consumption requirements, such as portable game machines.

“We had a very ambitious goal in the realization of naked-eye 3D stereo vision, and video game console style high
quality graphics rendering, whilst maintaining low power consumption. I am delighted that we were able to contribute
with ‘Maestro technology’, which we have developed over several years at DMP", said Tatsuo Yamamoto, President
and CEO, DMP.

Edit: Yes i know, its already been posted and I'm in the wrong section

Jockel

This is where you're wrong, kiddo
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You gotta love how the 3DS Thread stated the rumored Nvidia Tegra GPU as a fact
biggrin.gif

Amateurs.

Site & Scene News