Nintendo 3DS tag mode explained

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Opium, Sep 29, 2010.

Sep 29, 2010

Nintendo 3DS tag mode explained by Opium at 9:33 AM (5,294 Views / 0 Likes) 35 replies

1. Opium
    OP

Former Staff Opium PogoShell it to me ™

Australia
    Nintendo 3DS tag mode explained
    Share data with other 3DS owners
    [​IMG]

Okay, so the Nintendo 3DS ships with a tag mode that is more advanced than in current DS games. It allows you to swap data such as highscores, ghost data and miis with other 3DS users while the 3DS is in sleep mode. You do not have to be in a game on the 3DS to swap data. Data for all your games that allow tag mode will be swapped with passers-by. Here's how it works:

When you comes into contact with other 3DS owners your system will automatically send your mii character and other game data to that person. When you receive data a special light on the top right of the 3DS will start flashing (like the blue light on the Wii).

[​IMG]

On the main menu of the 3DS there is a special button for tag mode on the top of the screen. All your tag mode data will be shown there.

[​IMG]

You will be greeted with a list of the data that has been shared. Each game will have its own section.

[​IMG]

The top screen will display a profile of the person you came in contact with and what game you shared data for.

[​IMG]

You will also be able to see a mii parade of other people's miis holding the game icon for the game you shared data for.

[​IMG]

You will be able to go in-game to access the data. Some examples that have been given include seeing other mii characters on walks with their pets in Nintendogs + Cats and using ghost data to automatically fight random passers-by in Super Street Fighter 3D Edition. When you get home and check the data you will be able to see how many people you beat or lost to while you were out walking.

2. bloodred

Member bloodred GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    xD I like the Mii's alot

3. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    It's a good idea, but it wont really go for those that dnt exactly have their 3DS always with them, let alone to find someone to automatically exchange data with (im sure this isn't an issue with japan, like everyone will have one)

regradless a good idea, but not something i'd use, ... waiting for more useful news, but i think we have it all i suppose.

any word of a PROPER built in media player?

4. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Everything they show here is of no interest to me. I don't give a shit about strangers Mii's, stats and so on. I guess it'll be good for RPG's that may feature this so you can level up without playing but I'd rather level up by you know...using skill.

5. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    They're basing things on virtual socialization; which is what is booming these days.

6. Master Mo

Member Master Mo F.R.E.E.

Germany
    Japanese people seem to love this function and I think to have this actually integrated within the system itself rather then having it separately integrated in each game is very good and will also cause developers to actually integrate the function in games...

I`m glad, that things like Miis and this function makes it a little more social, which makes much more sense on a portable system. If Nintendos marketing-team is as good as I think they are they`ll going to advertise the shit out of this [​IMG] (hints as SSFIV3D)

7. mercluke

Member mercluke ‮҉

Australia
    mindless grinding takes skill?

8. XLarge

Member XLarge GBAtemp Regular

Belgium
    So... is wifi always on or is it something you have to do by yourself?

9. TheTwoR's

Member TheTwoR's Yay I can finally edit this thingy :D

Belgium
    When you walk around with the 3DS ut's obviously not using Wi-Fi, duh cause you can't have free Wi-Fi or any Wi-Fi wherever you are [​IMG]
    But if you meant like, Is the 3DS always connected as long as there's a connection in range, My answer to that question is like, yeah I guess so. They're leaning more to like Wii-ish.
    Remember though, My response isn't 100% right. Cause like, the console isn't even released yet. What's been shown/announced is what we know.
    I hope this thing will have a FC messaging system like the Wii! [​IMG]

10. Sonicslasher

Member Sonicslasher In Law we trust.

United States
    I don't give two shits about my 3DS mating with other DSs like some kind of promiscuous teenager [​IMG]

11. lolzed

Member lolzed The GBAtemp Pichu

Philippines
    no.please no.

12. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    more ways for nintendo to control what you are doing, mass surveillance and big brother is watching you, i don't feel comfortable with one of these in my home.

13. thebigboss14

Member thebigboss14 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    This is kind of new and kind of weird because sending data it's actually not that good but maybe we could find a better use for it. I hope it's not something to make identifiable consoles or anything like that that could actually hurt us.

14. Infinite Zero

Member Infinite Zero Almost!

United States
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

i feel the same. [​IMG] i hope it's not really that way.

15. scrtmstr

Member scrtmstr GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    Meh, cool function, but I don't really see the point. Why would you want to beat someone in a game, when he/she is just passing by?
    I think I'm just going to keep my dsi, and not buy this.

16. petspaps

Member petspaps GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    [​IMG]
    By the sounds of things my 3ds will loose its virginity faster than me.

Yer dont see how this gonna actually help GAMING, for westerners smarter than your average bear this is of little to no use.

17. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    Guys, its only a feature of the 3DS.
    I'm sure you'll be able to turn it off if you please.

18. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Yes it takes skill to not get so bored you can't resist eating your own skull.

19. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    Tag mode is pretty interesting.
    I would prefer if Tag Mode listed the person's friend-code so I could play with them too instead of them just being a passing-by stranger. I like it, though!

20. Hop2089

Member Hop2089 Cute>Hot

United States
    Concerning L+ Rumor sharing, Konami really wants us shut-ins and curious importers a real Virtual Girlfriend experience. I wonder what else will come of this especially for this particular game.