Nintendo 2ds xl identifying a diode.

achubbard13

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi I need help identifying a diode in my project 2ds xl. I accidentally knocked off the diode when I was removing the game slot. I tried using a multimeter to find the but I'm certain that I was using the multimeter wrong because I'm getting a reading of .001. I have no clue to what kind it is I'm thinking its a rectifier diode. The diode in question is beside the blue tape in the picture on my working board. I did get a picture of the diode from my microscope.

20240229_175738.jpg20240228_195425.jpg

RetrogamingAddict

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I have no clue, no offense, but perhaps you could find something in google or searching about 3ds datasheets.

I was watching a video about gpu repair, the gpu had a damaged similar diode and a corroded board, he got a replacement from scrap electronics. Mainly from a tv board. I remember him saying they're mostly similar values. Maybe you could start looking there if you have spare scrap boards at home.

achubbard13

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have no clue, no offense, but perhaps you could find something in google or searching about 3ds datasheets.

I was watching a video about gpu repair, the gpu had a damaged similar diode and a corroded board, he got a replacement from scrap electronics. Mainly from a tv board. I remember him saying they're mostly similar values. Maybe you could start looking there if you have spare scrap boards at home.
I've google but I haven't found much about it except that it could be a generic diode. The scrap board I have for parts is water damage and the same diodes are corroded.

ack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

What? If you don't know anything about what you're talking about, don't comment. Firstly, there aren't publicly available schematics for the n2dsxl. Secondly, getting SMD components like that from random other scrap boards is purely a gimmick, none of these parts are going to be unavailable on mauser or digikey.

And OP, if you're not sure of the output you're getting, you can desolder the diode to test it, sometimes the surrounding circuit messes up the result. ( you can also just cut the traces, but if you don't have a scrap board that sounds like more pain than it's worth) You definitely need to do that for capacitors, because testing them on the board will fry it, I'm not certain if it's the same for diodes.

Last edited by ack,

RetrogamingAddict

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
What? If you don't know anything about what you're talking about, don't comment. Firstly, there aren't publicly available schematics for the n2dsxl. Secondly, getting SMT components like that from random other scrap boards is purely a gimmick, none of these parts are going to be unavailable on mauser or digikey.I have no clue, no offense, but perhaps you could find something in google or searching about 3ds datasheets.

And OP, if you're not sure of the output you're getting, you can desolder the diode to test it, sometimes the surrounding circuit messes up the result. ( you can also just cut the traces, but if you don't have a scrap board that sounds like more pain than it's worth) You definitely need to do that for capacitors, because testing them on the board will fry it, I'm not certain if it's the same for diodes.
It was just a suggestion man. I already wrote that i had no clue so op would take any information i provided with a grain of salt.

A ds console wouldn't be more sensitive and picky than a rtx Nvidia gpu. So if a gpu could find a similar diode from a donor tv board, why couldn't it fit the 2ds xl too?

ack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was just a suggestion man. I already wrote that i had no clue so op would take any information i provided with a grain of salt.

A ds console wouldn't be more sensitive and picky than a rtx Nvidia gpu. So if a gpu could find a similar diode from a donor tv board, why couldn't it fit the 2ds xl too?
because you have no idea how much wear that diode's been through, and unless you have laboratory equipment there's NO WAY to tell what the Vf, PIV, reverse breakdown voltage, maximum forward current, etc is. And at that point you're just wasting your time.

What you're suggesting is like suggesting that someone with a broken car of a recent model go to the junkyard to get a replacement part- sure, the part might work for the time, but why the hell would you do that when you could get a new part that you know will work and that you know hasn't been thrashed around from the manufacturer??

• Haha
Reactions: RetrogamingAddict

RetrogamingAddict

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
because you have no idea how much wear that diode's been through, and unless you have laboratory equipment there's NO WAY to tell what the Vf, PIV, reverse breakdown voltage, maximum forward current, etc is. And at that point you're just wasting your time.

What you're suggesting is like suggesting that someone with a broken car of a recent model go to the junkyard to get a replacement part- sure, the part might work for the time, but why the hell would you do that when you could get a new part that you know will work and that you know hasn't been thrashed around from the manufacturer??
The car example you gave me is dumb 🤣🤣🤣, you know nothing of cars, and probably electronics too. this is not a electronics lecture here, you like complicating things?
I don't think you know better than a man who has been fixing gpus for a long time. Watch this and tell me if this man is stupid or not.

https://youtube.com/@northwestrepair

zxr750j

Longtime member
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
My guess it's indeed a rectifier, the marking on top (the stripe across) indicates it's the cathode(-) side. Resistors and capacitors don't have this. This assumption is supported by the marking on the board next to it on the left.
Look at this https://www.wikihow.com/Tell-Which-Way-Round-a-Diode-Should-Be , it also tells you howto read it using a multimeter, though it should be out of circuit to do it properly (as ack suggested).

ack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The car example you gave me is dumb 🤣🤣🤣, you know nothing of cars, and probably electronics too. this is not a electronics lecture here, you like complicating things?
I don't think you know better than a man who has been fixing gpus for a long time. Watch this and tell me if this man is stupid or not.

https://youtube.com/@northwestrepair
1710023111893.png

so you're telling me that a guy who makes thumbnails and titles like this wouldn't do something silly and unwise in order to increase views / viewer retention? Really? You really believe that this guy makes videos like this purely out of a love for his craft and not at all as a source of income?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto