Nintendo 2DS Hardware Problem?!

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by mbcrazed, Mar 21, 2015.

1. mbcrazed
    OP

mbcrazed GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 10, 2012
    China
    GBATemp
    Hello Everyone! So, I purchased a Nintendo 2DS about 3 months ago and it's been a blast! I've probably put on 300 hours into Pokemon Alpha Sapphire. See, the problem is that my screen cracked yesterday, for no reason at all. I was playing it 30 minutes before it happened, and when I pulled it out of it's case and got out of sleep mode, the whole screen was shattered. When off, you don't even see any damage. Of course I call Nintendo, they get my Devices 11 digit number on the back, and they say, "Your warranty is fine, except we don't cover physical damage like that. You can send it in for $75 plus tax and it will get refurbished." See, I think that's messed up. I've never dropped it, and I'm always careful with it. When a screen cracks for no reason at all, and I have to pay almost as much as the system cost to get it fixed, then that's a problem. What should I do? Should I just buy the N3DS and tough it out, or file a hardware complaint?
    Thanks Tempers!~

NOTE: I've placed a GIF of me turning it on below. (Yes, I know it's horrible quality. Best I could get for 2mb's XD)

Edit: Here's a link showing the whole thing:

Attached Files:

2. andzalot55

andzalot55 I'm very delicious. mmmm.

Nov 14, 2014
    Canada
    Mc Donalds.
    You could just buy another 2DS. I think it'll come in 8.1.0 or in 9.0.

3. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips a seldom-used crab named Lucky

Mar 10, 2015
    United States
    wow that is really weird, i have had a 2ds since a month after it released and its still fine. could the case may have been a little too tight?

4. mbcrazed
    OP

Nov 10, 2012
    China
    GBATemp
    That's true! :) If I'm going to buy another console though, it's going to be the NEW 3DS, I'm willing to spend a little extra money for it! :) The reviews have been pretty great so far. It just irks me that I have a warranty that can't be used, even if I had nothing to do with the issue that has occurred.

5. mbcrazed
    OP

Nov 10, 2012
    China
    GBATemp
    Nope! :) It nuzzles in fine! I has a little space in it to put 3DS cartridges too! :)

6. CitizenSnips

Mar 10, 2015
    United States
    do you maybe have a little sibling or anybody that may have dropped it while you weren't looking?

7. Harsky

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    Unfortunately even the 2DS replacement screens are expensive. If you have good skills and you really want to keep your old 2DS, then just buy another second hand cheap 2DS and swap the screens.

8. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    More like 7.1 that I just bought 2 days ago at gamestop. : )

But yeah, no way nintendo is going to fix that when it looks totally like your fault. (pressure damage)
    Try to take it back to the store. If that doesn't work just get another 2ds refurb/new for 100-130.

mbcrazed likes this.
  9. mbcrazed
    OP

Nov 10, 2012
    China
    GBATemp
    Nope! :) It was with me the entire time. Heck, I don't even let my friends touch it because I'm afraid they'll drop it! XD

10. CitizenSnips

Mar 10, 2015
    United States
    wow thats really messed up, i wonder why it would do that? maybe its a hardware problem with that alpha sapphire 2ds

11. mbcrazed
    OP

Nov 10, 2012
    China
    GBATemp
    My brother said something to me about the pressure. It bothered him how it cracked right at that spot as if I put alot of pressure on it before. The only game I can think that I would tap the screen multiple times right there is Kid Icarus Uprising, which I did play the day before it happened. I guess I'll just buy a new console! I just don't want other people to have this problem in the future!

12. mbcrazed
    OP

Nov 10, 2012
    China
    GBATemp
    That's what I'm thinking. My little nephew who's 7 has dents in his system and it's perfectly fine. My plastic covering the screens is in perfect condition and my just shattered! XD

13. CitizenSnips

Mar 10, 2015
    United States
    I would be so mad if that happened to me.

14. mbcrazed
    OP

Nov 10, 2012
    China
    GBATemp
    Actually, my friend has an Omega Ruby version and his broke just like mine.. My nephew has the original one that came out, so I'm starting to think it's a hardware issue. Which is a problem for me because I bought it off of Amazon..

15. Kyohack

Kyohack Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 27, 2010
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Those could possibly be stress fractures from pressure. They seem to be originating from a point.

My pants are large enough to fit my 2DS in them, although it's a bit snug. Perhaps you sat on yours by mistake? My father has gone through two phones and a palm PC due to accidentally sitting on them, so I know it's possible to crack screens this way.

16. mbcrazed
    OP

Nov 10, 2012
    China
    GBATemp
    There's one problem with that though. I was standing up! :o I never put my hands in my pockets either, so that can't be the case. Could it be from pressure over time?

17. andzalot55

Nov 14, 2014
    Canada
    Mc Donalds.
    Well if you do get a N3DS, you will need either ocarina of time or Cubic Ninja.

18. mbcrazed
    OP

Nov 10, 2012
    China
    GBATemp
    Forrrr? I'm guessing they're for the exploit I've heard about?

19. andzalot55

Nov 14, 2014
    Canada
    Mc Donalds.
    To access Gateway mode. I'm pretty sure that the internet exploit wont work with the N3DS but at least with Cubic Ninja or Ocarina of Time, you'll be able to access GW mode offline.

20. Lucifer666

Lucifer666 all the world needs is me

Apr 22, 2011
    The Fourth Dimension
    there was literally never a mention that the OP uses gateway or any form of hacking/piracy though?

mbcrazed likes this.