NGP games will be downloadable day-and-date with retail releas

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KingVamp said:
The people who are "making a big issue" apparently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tautology_%28rhetoric%29

QUOTEI'm pretty sure if they made a game like OOT 3D download only people will "make a big issue" as well. I'm just saying.

I'd bet you hard cash that they wouldn't. Change "NGP" to "3DS" in this thread and I assure you every post from the haters here would be like "Wow, I'm so glad Nintendo is so versatile!"

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I would buy it. Hell, I've paid full price on a lot of games worse than Zelda OoT (Digital Only), why I wouldn't pay for a Digital Only Zelda?

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
KingVamp said:

QUOTE said:
I'm pretty sure if they made a game like OOT 3D download only people will "make a big issue" as well. I'm just saying.

I'd bet you hard cash that they wouldn't. Change "NGP" to "3DS" in this thread and I assure you every post from the haters here would be like "Wow, I'm so glad Nintendo is so versatile!"
I do not think digital only = Versatile

QUOTE(Maedhros @ Mar 21 2011, 02:36 PM)
I would buy it. Hell, I've paid full price on a lot of games worse than Zelda OoT (Digital Only), why I wouldn't pay for a Digital Only Zelda?
Cause you want cart Zelda Oot 3D?

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
KingVamp said:
Guild McCommunist said:
KingVamp said:

QUOTE said:
I'm pretty sure if they made a game like OOT 3D download only people will "make a big issue" as well. I'm just saying.

QUOTE(Maedhros @ Mar 21 2011, 02:36 PM)
Cause you want cart Zelda Oot 3D?
I don't. For me, it's the same game, I don't need the cart.

Of course, I know some people want, that's why this model is good. It makes both people like me and people who wants the cart happy.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maedhros said:
I don't. For me, it's the same game, I don't need the cart.

Of course, I know some people want, that's why this model is good. It makes both people like me and people who wants the cart happy.
Sorry I was talking about if it was a exclusive download.

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It's not, I'll not discuss this.

People who have money to buy this and the games have money to pay internet. I don't see how Digital Only will not dominate the market on the future.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KingVamp said:
Guild McCommunist said:
KingVamp said:

QUOTEI'm pretty sure if they made a game like OOT 3D download only people will "make a big issue" as well. I'm just saying.

Okay, for digital distribution:

- No more juggling physical media. I'm sure that many flashcart owners love how they can carry around like 20 games on a single cart. It's a pain to gather all your wanted carts and put them in a case.
- No more losing games. What happens if that Legend of Zelda OoT 3D cart you have gets lost or destroyed? Well, that's too bad, buy another one! If you use digital distribution you can just redownload it, hell maybe even transfer it from system to system.
- Easy access. No more running to the store to pick it up, waiting for it to ship, or having it out of stock at the store. It's there to buy whenever unless the servers are down. Plus you can always redownload it whenever you want to play it, no more digging out the game from that pile of games you have.
- The deals. Any Steam user probably really loves the deals they give. Not only do a lot of games launch for lower prices on Steam (since they don't have any physical production costs), but it's easy to sell it for dirt cheap once the game covers its own debts since they don't have to worry about producing more copies of it.
- Assured quality. You won't ever have to worry about buying a game to have the disc scratched or malfunctioning. It runs just as good as a brand new game every time. It'll only stop working when the place its on (a hard drive, external storage device, etc) stop working.
- Indie gaming. It's often digital since they're pretty low budget games and since they don't need production costs. So great indie games (which we've seen plenty of) get their chance.

Plus the NGP is pushing both options. That's versatility, having multiple paths to the same thing.

I guess the main complaint with downloadable titles is the lack of WiFi some people have (since you can always wire computers but you can't wire your handhelds), but WiFi isn't that uncommon. Plus I think for the PSP you can just download titles to your computer (like legally, through the Playstation Store) or PS3 and put them on your PSP.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:

- No more juggling physical media. I'm sure that many flashcart owners love how they can carry around like 20 games on a single cart. It's a pain to gather all your wanted carts and put them in a case. Some people still like to carry or want the physical thing.
- No more losing games. What happens if that Legend of Zelda OoT 3D cart you have gets lost or destroyed? Well, that's too bad, buy another one! If you use digital distribution you can just redownload it, hell maybe even transfer it from system to system. What would happen if something was to happen to the downloads?
Well same problem.

- Easy access. No more running to the store to pick it up, waiting for it to ship, or having it out of stock at the store. It's there to buy whenever unless the servers are down. Plus you can always redownload it whenever you want to play it, no more digging out the game from that pile of games you have.
Losing that feeling when you finally get it or going through all the games you bought.
- The deals. Any Steam user probably really loves the deals they give. Not only do a lot of games launch for lower prices on Steam (since they don't have any physical production costs), but it's easy to sell it for dirt cheap once the game covers its own debts since they don't have to worry about producing more copies of it. But people lose trading value. To stores to other people.
- Assured quality. You won't ever have to worry about buying a game to have the disc scratched or malfunctioning. Never had that problem, just sent it back. It runs just as good as a brand new game every time. It'll only stop working when the place its on (a hard drive, external storage device, etc) stop working.
- Indie gaming. It's often digital since they're pretty low budget games and since they don't need production costs. So great indie games (which we've seen plenty of) get their chance.
How about accidentally downloading something with a price?

Oh and the fact you need to buy a lot of storage.

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
KingVamp said:
Guild McCommunist said:

- No more juggling physical media. I'm sure that many flashcart owners love how they can carry around like 20 games on a single cart. It's a pain to gather all your wanted carts and put them in a case. Some people still like to carry or want the physical thing.
- No more losing games. What happens if that Legend of Zelda OoT 3D cart you have gets lost or destroyed? Well, that's too bad, buy another one! If you use digital distribution you can just redownload it, hell maybe even transfer it from system to system. What would happen if something was to happen to the downloads?
Well same problem.
The hell you're talking about... he just said you can redownload the thing.
Losing that feeling when you finally get it or going through all the games you bought.
- The deals. Any Steam user probably really loves the deals they give. Not only do a lot of games launch for lower prices on Steam (since they don't have any physical production costs), but it's easy to sell it for dirt cheap once the game covers its own debts since they don't have to worry about producing more copies of it. But people lose trading value. To stores to other people. Trade is just like piracy for companies. The difference is that is legal...
- Assured quality. You won't ever have to worry about buying a game to have the disc scratched or malfunctioning. Never had that problem, just sent it back.Just because it never happened with you, it doens't mean it won't happen at all. And it's incovenient to go there just to change... downloads don't have this problem It runs just as good as a brand new game every time. It'll only stop working when the place its on (a hard drive, external storage device, etc) stop working.
How about accidentally downloading something with a price?

Oh and the fact you need to buy a lot of storage.
Accidentally what?

No. Just one card, download, backup. Done.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
If you can backup the games to a hard drive, then it won't be so bad (expect the games to be signed to your device of course). If not, then expect to buy a number of their newer memory cards to hold those games on (as it's been said that the secondary card slot is for a card they are developing in addition to the game card). With that, I hope the price to purchase the games digitally will be cheaper than buying them physically to offset that price.

D

Deleted-273695

Suck to have sloooow internet connection (as said by someone in first page.)
It would take probably about five days for some games:
The NGP won't have the fastest download speed (well I suppose) either medium or fast and the files will be like 5 gig, not to mention the speed that your internet connection is.

antwill

Better Than You
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
KingVamp said:
Maedhros said:
Accidentally what?

Pay for downloading a game by mistake.

Backup on a computer?

They (Sony) allow you to backup the games?
What the hell are you talking about? It's not like you'll be browsing the store and then suddenly goto download something that isn't free and it will just charge instantly. Of course there's going to be prompts asking if you are sure...

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
antwill said:
KingVamp said:
Maedhros said:
Accidentally what?

Pay for downloading a game by mistake.

Backup on a computer?

They (Sony) allow you to backup the games?
What the hell are you talking about? It's not like you'll be browsing the store and then suddenly goto download something that isn't free and it will just charge instantly. Of course there's going to be prompts asking if you are sure...
Implying it still isn't possible to download by mistake. Which it is.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
KingVamp said:
Implying it still isn't possible to download by mistake. Which it is.
>Implying

Like antwill said, there is confirmation screens when you are buying something.

Also if you are that retarded to buy something by mistake on PSN, don't enter your credit/debit card details.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some people still like to carry or want the physical thing. : Then buy a fucking physical copy of the game. I've never seen anyone complain about their DSiWare or WiiWare games all being in one place, or their DS games on a flashcart. If you want to jumble around a case full of carts or discs or whatever to have it lost, stolen, damaged, whatever, then be my guest. Just don't come crying here when you say "I lost all my games!"

What would happen if something was to happen to the downloads? Well same problem. Except it doesn't happen. Even then, I'm rather confident once you download a game, you don't need to reconnect to the service to keep playing it. And unless the place housing Sony's servers just implodes, that's not gonna happen.

Losing that feeling when you finally get it or going through all the games you bought. You're still buying these downloaded games. Any Steam user can attest to the fact that this is not true at all. "Piracy syndrome" is only the result of getting the games for free, not downloading it. I can attest to this.

But people lose trading value. To stores to other people. : Who gives a shit. When game prices drop rather quickly on Steam, you won't be whining about not getting money for your used game. And if you constantly trade in games, then you lose that feeling of owning your games! Oh no!

Never had that problem, just sent it back. I don't think any game store will let you hand back a used copy of a game that you went to town on with a fucking sander. I'm saying if you bought a game, had it for a while, and it eventually got scratched or stopped working over time. Gameboy games like Pokemon have batteries that die. Any disc based game can scratched. Some games might just get caught in your pocket and go through the wash.

How about accidentally downloading something with a price? If you "accidentally" download something then you're fucking retarded. On pretty much ANY online store they make you verify your purchase multiple times. It's not like your mouse slips, you click "Buy", and money is instantly deducted from your account. You have no clue what you're talking about.

Oh and the fact you need to buy a lot of storage.: Not really. You can delete games you downloaded and redownload them at any time. Plus with all the money you save, you can buy some sort of large storage device if you really need it.

You're making one of the worst arguments I've seen.

antwill

Better Than You
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Guild McCommunist said:
What would happen if something was to happen to the downloads? Well same problem. Except it doesn't happen. Even then, I'm rather confident once you download a game, you don't need to reconnect to the service to keep playing it. And unless the place housing Sony's servers just implodes, that's not gonna happen.
I completely agree with all your points however he made it seem like he is under the impression that you can't just re-download it without paying, which you obviously can.

But yes, his 'argument' if you can call it that, is rather lacking in any real facts.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So if you lose your NGP, you lose all the games and saves you had with it too?
Or are the games and saves stored on PSN?
What happens in the case of a server failure, or if PSN is hacked?

I like the idea of not having to carry around 10 games, but I see no reason why there just couldn't have been physical copies.
What if someone doesn't have access to wifi? Not everyone has wifi yet (hell, I know some people who didn't have internet until recently).
And this really kills all possibilities of backwards compatibility.

This also creates a security risk for Sony, and we all know they cope so well with their consoles being hacked.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 24,000 hmmmm lol