Ngmoco: NGP "dead on arrival"; 3DS "gimmicky"

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Mobile game publisher ngmoco has slammed Sony's Next Generation Portable and Nintendo's 3DS.

The NGP – Sony's PlayStation Portable successor – is "dead on arrival", and the Nintendo 3DS's 3D visuals are "gimmicky", said outspoken CEO Neil Young.

"I think they are hurt; I think they're clearly hurt," Young told IndustryGamers.

"I think PSP is done and the new [NGP] is dead on arrival. It's really difficult to compete with an app store that has hundreds of thousands of applications and a wide range of options where the average price paid is around $1.20 and there are tens, if not hundreds of thousands, of free applications that are really high quality.

"So I just don't think Sony's going to be able to compete with that."

Experts believe the NGP may struggle in the face of the mobile phone gaming phenomenon.

Sony has pointed towards the NGP's beefy horsepower and PlayStation 3-like visuals as its most eye-catching qualities.

"It's not a PS3 quality experience," Young insisted. "And in terms of getting broad adoption, having great processing power is not necessarily a prerequisite for great adoption in the marketplace.

"You need a range of things and what I think the iPod touch and iPhone have been able to do is offer people Swiss army knife-type functionality for a device that plays games really well.

"It's not like it's crap at playing games – it's pretty good at playing games and it can do a whole bunch of other things as well."

The Rolando publisher was kinder to the Nintendo 3DS, however.

"I think Nintendo will likely be competitive," Young said. "My personal opinion is that the 3D piece of the puzzle is kind of gimmicky. But Nintendo has great franchises and there are tens of millions of people who want to participate in those franchises, so that always helps.

"But the real question is the degree to which there's a third-party community."
[/p]

Source

Harsh words from the publisher of such famous titles as "Touch Pets: Dogs/Cats" or "We City/Doodle/Farm/Rule".

Discord

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Gamers do, and all will, appreciated buttons and depth when it comes to games. The cheap flash-level games we get on smartphones will take a very long time to reach the same level of maturity that Sony/Nintendo handhelds currently have.

Even if the gaming every does reach a significant point, the hardware, and the lack of buttons, will always be something that holds it back. The lack of tactile feel to playing something on a touch screen, and touch screen alone isn't as comfortable.

My opinion, at least.

The PSP is still extremely popular in Japan, and even outsells the 360 on occasion in Japan, I wouldn't count the NGP out just yet.

Tonitonichopchop

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone who thinks that the future of handheld video games is with $2.00 cell phone games deserves to be offed.

This guy is a moron.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stevetry said:
i understand the NGp been crap but the 3ds cmon Ngmoco

"been" being used in your feelings on a device that hasn't been released yet. Okay.

GameWinner said:
QUOTE(Guild McCommunist @ Mar 2 2011, 05:36 PM) Harsh words from the publisher of such famous titles as "Touch Pets: Dogs/Cats" or "We City/Doodle/Farm/Rule".
I lol'd

And I actually just realized that both of those examples are essentially rip offs of Nintendo titles like Nintendogs and anything with "Wii" in it. Ever since Wii Sports companies have been ripping the name idea with "We" instead of "Wii".

So the guy's criticizing the company that he rips his game ideas from. Kudos!

Wintrale

Trophies
XP
Country
Someone is clearly butthurt that they aren't allowed to apply for dev kits because they can't get past quality control.
smileipb2.png

KingAsix

ByJustAsix
Trophies
Website
www.byjustasix.com
XP
Country
United States
Tonitonichopchop said:
Anyone who thinks that the future of handheld video games is with $2.00 cell phone games deserves to be offed.

This guy is a moron.

Took the words right outta my mouth.....Im not going write all of what I want to say cause I kinda said it yesterday in another thread.
tongue.gif

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't like to be troll'd, but come on, this guy clearly doesn't know what he's talking about.

First of all, the DS sold over 100 million units, and he says there are only tens of millions of people who want to play the 3DS games? And then the dead on arrival for the NGP? Last I checked, PSP sold around 65 million units, that's a great number.

This guy's a moron.

D

Deleted User

What does the iPod touch have in terms of functionality for gaming that the NGP doesn't?

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Guild McCommunist said:
Stevetry said:
i understand the NGp been crap but the 3ds cmon Ngmoco

"been" being used in your feelings on a device that hasn't been released yet. Okay.

To me it's obvious he's meaning "being"... Even though I don't aggree with his oppinion (since I haven't tested it myself).
But I am a bit tired of you very often bashing on non-English speaking people's "poor" English.
You're American, You speak fluent English, good for you. We got that now, please comment in a different tone if you have to point out linguistic errors.

On topic: Ngmoco sure has a point with the NGP and Smartphone app references... I mean, many of the coming apps to NGP will surely be priced fairly high just as the PSN games today (With exeption of the minis)... while iDevice apps of the same quality often are prices a lot lower.
Space invaders infinity gene, for example. iDevice: $4.99, PS3: $9.99

However, that's about the only thing I agree with... that the prices probably will be a bit meh. (What I believe, I'd love to be proven wrong).

dinofan01

Misses the old days...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hey if I was working on a platform, I would want to claim its "superiority" too. Hes just making himself feel better by telling himself he made a good choice going mobile only. Who cares.

JoyConG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Big words from such shitty games. iOS is certainly a growing platform- but over these years one thing has become clear: Quality releases are pretty scarce. Then you get your endless wave of mediocrity. ..I have and love my iPhone 4, but I'm very aware of all the crap on the market

He is right about the 3rd party on ninty, but they seem to be correcting that

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: DAYTONAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!