Ngmoco: NGP "dead on arrival"; 3DS "gimmicky"

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
concealed identity said:
I'm not so sure they are different markets though...before the DS/PSP, there was no "hardcore market" for handhelds, and I would say that even with the PSP, a lot of people who own it aren't "hardcore gamers." A lot of people who bought handhelds can find everything they need with smartphone games; the handheld market was ALWAYS more casual than the home console market, and a huge number of people who bought handheld games are going to go in the direction of smartphones when faced with the choice of $1-10 a game vs. $60 and a $400 system. Of course there will be a niche for the PSP2, but it's going to be a lot smaller than before, and very possibly not big enough to be a sustainable market, ESPECIALLY with the 3DS in there.
"Hardcore market" came because of tech. They stuff on handhelds you will never find on a smartphone like real game support and better design meant for gaming.
Smartphone phones like to imitate real/better games through tech with mostly graphics which now doesn't come close to 3DS or NGP. Those games (iphone) are just games to put out there to be play just boredom and convenient for 5mins or less. When I pick up a portable I play it to have fun when I'm alone or have a good times with friend for very long game sections. I wouldn't take out a phone and say "Hey guys let's have a less quality Mario kart clone race." Plus some people tend to want their devices separate.

Iphone games will always lack something, that charm as a true gaming devices.

concealed identi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
KingVamp said:
concealed identity said:
I'm not so sure they are different markets though...before the DS/PSP, there was no "hardcore market" for handhelds, and I would say that even with the PSP, a lot of people who own it aren't "hardcore gamers." A lot of people who bought handhelds can find everything they need with smartphone games; the handheld market was ALWAYS more casual than the home console market, and a huge number of people who bought handheld games are going to go in the direction of smartphones when faced with the choice of $1-10 a game vs. $60 and a $400 system. Of course there will be a niche for the PSP2, but it's going to be a lot smaller than before, and very possibly not big enough to be a sustainable market, ESPECIALLY with the 3DS in there.
"Hardcore market" came because of tech. They stuff on handhelds you will never find on a smartphone like real game support and better design meant for gaming.
Smartphone phones like to imitate real/better games through tech with mostly graphics which now doesn't come close to 3DS or NGP. Those games (iphone) are just games to put out there to be play just boredom and convenient for 5mins or less. When I pick up a portable I play it to have fun when I'm alone or have a good times with friend for very long game sections. I wouldn't take out a phone and say "Hey guys let's have a less quality Mario kart clone race." Plus some people tend to want their devices separate.

Iphone games will always lack something, that charm as a true gaming devices.

That's all true, but my point was that a large amount of the handheld market are people who play it for a few minutes on the train or whatever, much more so than the console market. Of course these things aren't going to sell zero units, but the market out there is much smaller for them now; a lot of the handheld market CAN be satisfied by smartphone games. As sweet as it looks, the PSP2 in particular doesn't have much of an edge over the other devices, but it'll be interesting to see if Sony can deliver something unique with it (or at the very least ensure a quality library) and make it stand out this way.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
concealed identity said:
That's all true, but my point was that a large amount of the handheld market are people who play it for a few minutes on the train or whatever, much more so than the console market. Of course these things aren't going to sell zero units, but the market out there is much smaller for them now; a lot of the handheld market CAN be satisfied by smartphone games. As sweet as it looks, the PSP2 in particular doesn't have much of an edge over the other devices, but it'll be interesting to see if Sony can deliver something unique with it (or at the very least ensure a quality library) and make it stand out this way.
OK, but what make you think that the majority of the handheld market is towards 5mins, low quality games vs long, quality play games?

It seem you are just assuming.

Plus I like to be fully satisfied with my gaming.

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
are iphone games really that good...for hardcore gamers? angry birds? you just simply throw a bird? i'd like to push a lot of buttons. i'm really a PC gamer so i like my hands moving so fast. which makes my blood run fast and my heart beat faster.

concealed identi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
KingVamp said:
concealed identity said:
OK, but what make you think that the majority of the handheld market is towards 5mins, low quality games vs long, quality play games?

It seem you are just assuming.

Plus I like to be fully satisfied with my gaming.

Well the numbers that iPhone/Droid games are pushing are more than assumptions, as are the sales figures for casual handheld games. I never said they were low-quality though. But the number of people who bought a DS and mostly played casual games is staggering - and even if these people would go on to buy a "hardcore" game somewhere down the line, chances are they won't buy a PSP2 if they're mostly satisfied with their smartphone.

The other answer to your question would be that the majority of the handheld market has always focused on shorter games meant for portable gaming.

It's also worth noting that you can have long, quality games on a smartphone as well, in particular RPGs (I would say the vast majority of "long" games on the DS were RPGs).

stinkoman

Magnificent Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GameWinner said:
Guild McCommunist said:
Harsh words from the publisher of such famous titles as "Touch Pets: Dogs/Cats" or "We City/Doodle/Farm/Rule".
I lol'd
They also made Eliminate, which was pretty much the best FPS on iOS until they fucking ruined it with all their freemium bullshit. I was a god at that game until all the paying players started beefing the shit out of their weapons for cash. Yeah, the 3D's going to be a total gimmick, but I'm hoping Sony comes through with the NGP and doesn't fuck it up like the PSP, which I believe had a whole year without any games being released for it.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
concealed identity said:
Well the numbers that iPhone/Droid games are pushing are more than assumptions, as are the sales figures for casual handheld games. I never said they were low-quality though. But the number of people who bought a DS and mostly played casual games is staggering - and even if these people would go on to buy a "hardcore" game somewhere down the line, chances are they won't buy a PSP2 if they're mostly satisfied with their smartphone.

The other answer to your question would be that the majority of the handheld market has always focused on shorter games meant for portable gaming.

It's also worth noting that you can have long, quality games on a smartphone as well, in particular RPGs (I would say the vast majority of "long" games on the DS were RPGs).
What are you talking about their is more then great games then RPG (which I'm sure people bought) on there. Mario Kart, Layton, Mario Bro , Super Mario bro, Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing, Phoenix Wright, Grand Theft Auto, Dragonball z, 999 , Zelda etc etc ( Think Chocolate Factory)

Most iphone games quick rehashes of real game therefor cheaper, games that are being push because of that. A quick buck game.

Great quality games tend to cost more because it take time to make it.

Still then the quantity of quality will not be as good as dedicated game device.

QUOTE(DiscostewSM @ Mar 3 2011, 01:26 AM) I may be a Nintendo fan, but even I know that the NGP won't be "dead on arrival", nor near it.
Same here...

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
concealed identity said:
KingVamp said:
What are you talking about

You should probably re-read my post
You said here

"I would say the vast majority of "long" games on the DS were RPGs"

Which I'm saying isn't true, there is a lot of different type of games that are long.

Tell me what I read wrong. Did you read my post?

concealed identi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
KingVamp said:
concealed identity said:
KingVamp said:
What are you talking about

You should probably re-read my post
You said here

"I would say the vast majority of "long" games on the DS were RPGs"

Which I'm saying isn't true, there is a lot of different type of games that are long.

Tell me what I read wrong. Did you read my post?

Because exceptions do not prove the rule; naming a few games that are not RPGs doesn't change the fact that the majority of "long-players" on the DS are RPGs. The fact that you named a bunch of adventure games (which could EASILY be done on a smartphone) and some games that were designed to be played in short bursts hinted that you missed my point completely.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
concealed identity said:
Because exceptions do not prove the rule; naming a few games that are not RPGs doesn't change the fact that the majority of "long-players" on the DS are RPGs. The fact that you named a bunch of adventure games (which could EASILY be done on a smartphone) and some games that were designed to be played in short bursts hinted that you missed my point completely.
I stated some games, never said that was all the games. The statement isn't true whether I stated some games or not.
I didn't list any short bursts. There are puzzle,fighting,action and adventure.

Yes maybe some can easily be rehash for a cheap buck,but it wouldn't be as good as what it was
regularly made for, a true game device.

Other words even if high-profile game was taken exactly from game device and put on a phone it wouldn't hold
the same feel/value as on a true game device.

nintendoom

Nintendoom
Trophies
XP
smile.gif
)
Gimmicky!!
like what they called the DS..
-------------------------------------

Omninox

GBATemp's™ Retired Cheats Compiler
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Since when has a "gimmick" been a bad thing? Gimmicks (in the gaming world) are anything new brought to the console (which might not really be needed, but helps boost the gaming experience and taking gaming or the console to a new level). Back when Dual Analogs were introduced, they were gimmicks, so was the twin screen for the DS, the Touchscreen, listening to music and taking photos, GPS... ect. The list can keep on going, even when the T.Vs went from black and white to coloured, THAT was a gimmick. For some reason people now a days, think having a gimmick is a bad thing. Just like all those other things, the 3D in gaming is also a gimmick and a good one at it.

As for the NGP, sure there will be abit of a problem with the prices and all, but there's still millions of people (term of figure of speech) who love the idea of being able to play the graphics of a home gaming console on a handheld. While it's true that most of the games announced so far are just direct ports, there's still quite some time before the NGP is released, so we really can't count it out yet.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: what are you currently playing?