ROM Hack NFTR Editor

xuliko

Trophies
XP
Country
.twig. said:
xuliko said:
Hi guys. I have a problem. I can't open okamiden font EUR.

This is error:
File is not NTFR format

But Crystal Tile 2 can open it. I am very confused.

Someone can help me?

I wrote an utility to convert new ntfr file type to old one (and vice versa).
Simple drop ntfr file onto one of the panels. When converting old type to new,
you must input number from *.info.txt file (which is created when you convert new type to old)
into text box below panels.

Download enefer 0.1

Very thanks you !
wink.gif
I added in my credits

jjjewel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
.twig. said:
I wrote an utility to convert new ntfr file type to old one (and vice versa).
Simple drop ntfr file onto one of the panels. When converting old type to new,
you must input number from *.info.txt file (which is created when you convert new type to old)
into text box below panels.

Download enefer 0.1
Cool. Thank you.
wub.gif
I'm downloading the program too.
It might become handy later for some of my projects.

[Edited] After a month passed, now I really got to deal with the new NFTR format in one of the game I'm hacking. It will be so much of a trouble if I can't open it in NFTR Edit program. I'm so glad you made this converter, so I think I should drop by to thank you again.
happy.gif
Thank you so much.

cain05

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
cainsdomain.com
XP
Country
Canada
Has anyone actually been able to dump to a bmp, edit said bmp then import it and get it to work? I've tried numerous editors but they all seem to change the colour palette or something of the exported bmp so the font gets messed up. I'm replacing the font with a new one and don't want to have to redraw each letter manually in NFTRedit. Thanks.

jjjewel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cain05 said:
Has anyone actually been able to dump to a bmp, edit said bmp then import it and get it to work? I've tried numerous editors but they all seem to change the colour palette or something of the exported bmp so the font gets messed up. I'm replacing the font with a new one and don't want to have to redraw each letter manually in NFTRedit. Thanks.

I've never tried dumping bmp with NFTR Editor but if it's a standart NFTR file, you can use CT2 (CrystalTile2) program to edit the font. Just open it and view it as Tile. (View-->Tile viewer) Then highlight the part of graphic you want to edit, and use Edit-->Export image. Edit it and then use Edit-->Import image or just copy paste the image to CT2.

(If you use the same font color when you edit the image, you shouldn't have any problem with palette after you import it.)

After that, if the width of your new font isn't the same as the original one, you might need to open your new NFTR file in NFTR Editor to adjust the width and offset values (under Tools-->Character Map) , otherwise it might not show up correctly in the game.

cain05

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
cainsdomain.com
XP
Country
Canada
jjjewel said:
cain05 said:

I've never tried dumping bmp with NFTR Editor but if it's a standart NFTR file, you can use CT2 (CrystalTile2) program to edit the font. Just open it and view it as Tile. (View-->Tile viewer) Then highlight the part of graphic you want to edit, and use Edit-->Export image. Edit it and then use Edit-->Import image or just copy paste the image to CT2.

(If you use the same font color when you edit the image, you shouldn't have any problem with palette after you import it.)

After that, if the width of your new font isn't the same as the original one, you might need to open your new NFTR file in NFTR Editor to adjust the width and offset values (under Tools-->Character Map) , otherwise it might not show up correctly in the game.

I ended up doing it kind of like that except I pasted directly from the editor into CrystalTile2. Thanks for the suggestion.

SecretChao428

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well also to add a note, since this latest version of NFTR Editor has character size reformatting, you could aways put it at 16x16 and with Either your advanced Paint program or yy-chr, you can use the custom fonts and place it on the file(that is if you unpack the rom first), then use NFTR Editor and resize it back to what it was, I able to do this with the DQ 4, 5 and 6 Games for the DS, and it was very easy for me to do that, besides the characters when resized should be displayed in NFTR editor in case you want to make last minute changes and fix the VWF output on it.

Dark315055Vash

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
vash.romhacking.it
XP
Country
Italy
I updated the NFTR editor. Now it handles both formats 1.1 and 1.2

Note that old formats (1.1) converted using enefer 0.1 are NOT compatible because .twig. forgot to change the version number. If you really need to open it again, open the NFTR file with an hex editor and at 0x06 instead of 02 write 01.

here's the link: http://www.mediafire.com/?9zum0p2vkcx7a18

I hope that DarthNemesis doesn't take it bad, I just added this simple stuff. If you want me to delete it, I'll do right away. bye

SecretChao428

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well it has been a long time since this program has not been updated and maybe might have been discontinued because of how complexed the code is, but I need to know if there is any chance this program might be updated soon to support the adding of characters and using special character mappers to use in games besides the standard Table file formats, and such?

rastsan

8 baller, Death Wizard,
Trophies
Website
rastsan.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Canada
just use ct2 for that. If the font itself supports the characters in the table then CT2 will be able to add it in the nftr. Which you can edit the font with windows character map and add the characters you need... which may be a few extra steps but isn't really that much trouble. If it really bugs you there are a few freeware font making programs out there with a drag and drop image function.

I have actually done that for all but 3 of the games I've done image work for. When re/making the nftr I use the old nftr character(s) to make a custom windows font for the new nftr. If needed I make custom letters/characters for whatever is/are missing. Or if I want to tinker with the "look". I then can use that windows font in the various paint programs I use for the other image work. So I have a nice smooth look though out the game.

SecretChao428

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I have been using yy-chr after using version 1.7 of NFTR editor to resize the entire font set to either 8x8 or 16x16, then use YY-CHR to modify the fonts like that, not very many here seem to use this method because of Crystal Tile,

But the later versions of Crystal Tile are no longer compatable with Windows XP SP2 or below, I am sitll stuck using Windows 2000 SP4 because this economy is not computer friendly in terms of prices, that is why I am hoping this program gets updated soon since I am still able to support .NET Framework 2.0 programs although,

Either way I also use Paint Shop Pro 5 to do the addional modifying for fonts, but for 1BPP fonts used in NFTR after resizing, I use YY-CHR mainly.

I hope I did not make this too confusing and such?

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
Alternative NFTR format not supported by NFTR Edit (+4 bytes in FNIF part)
Does anyone know what these 4 bytes are used for in the font?

This is what the FNIF header looks like as far as I know not sure what the last byte is but it appears to be padding.
u8 fontType; // glyph data type
s8 linefeed; // (*)== leading
u16 alterCharIndex; // (*) glyph index of the glyph for characters not contained in the font
CharWidths defaultWidth; // (* ) character width information for glyphs that have no character width information
u8 encoding; // Corresponding character string encoding
FontGlyph* pGlyph; // Pointer to a unique FontGlyph
FontWidth* pWidth; // Pointer to the first FontWidth
FontCodeMap* pMap; // Pointer to the first FontCodeMap
//these four bytes are new for version 1.1 and 1.2
u8 height;
u8 width;
u8 ascent;
u8 unknown;

Lyan53

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi all,

For NFTR data :

In Blue > not sure

RTFN bloc >> Nintendo FonT Resource
- 4 bytes bloc name "RTFN"
- 4 bytes Maybe BOM?? (Bytes Order Mark)
- 4 bytes file size
- 2 bytes size of NFTR bloc
- 2 bytes Number of sub-blocs (sub-sections)

FNIF bloc >> Font INFo
- 4 bytes bloc name "FNIF"
- 4 bytes size of FNIF bloc
- 1 byte 0x00 (padding ??)
- 1 byte height font
- 1 byte ?? (I don't know)
- 1 byte width font
- 1 byte width font (bis)
- 1 byte Encoding byte: - 0/UTF-8 - 1/UTF-16 - 2/S-JIS - 3/CP1252
- 4 bytes offset of PLGC bloc + 8
- 4 bytes offset of HDWC bloc + 8
- 4 bytes offset of PAMC bloc + 8

(...4 bytes optional on recent version...)
- 1 byte height font
- 1 byte width font
- 1 byte Bearing Y

Image3.png

PLGC bloc >> Character GLyPhs
- 4 bytes bloc name "PLGC"
- 4 bytes size of PLGC bloc
- 1 byte tile width
- 1 byte tile height
- 1 byte size in bytes of each tile font character*
- 1 byte Bearing Y
- 1 byte Max advance
- 1 byte for bpp

For each used character:
- X bytes for data character (X = size in bytes of each tile font character*)

And other blocs not detailled here :

HDWC bloc >> Character WiDtHs (VWF)
CMAP bloc >> Character MAP (3 different types)

Source information > By CUE (a little completed by me)
More info on this thread >> http://romxhack.esfo...nftr-de-nds-t67

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hey, thanks for the program!
I'm wanting it to edit pokemon fonts (Platinum to be specific), they are in .narc , inside have some .bin files and some image, pallete etc
I think the text part is on the some of the .bin, but how I can make this editable? :x
Zyl6YCw.png

The others .bin don' "open" like the last

I can find NTFR fonts on the rom but they are only for the wifi setting stuff

Last edited by Sliter,

SDA

Shame Yourself
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
When I click "Apply Changes" it instantly gives me a "Exception occurred" popup. Help?

EDITED AFTER A LONG TIME. I realized I did not use it correctly. Now it works.

Last edited by SDA,

dkien499

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Hi, I just learned this app, and I want to ask how I can get the NFTR files out of the NDS ROM, I took a look at the whole 8 pages but I couldn't understand, can someone explain it for me?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: They really wanna get the head