Next Generation Consoles = No Disk Drives

yeshuachrist

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most of the newer systems are coming with 500 gig and 1 terabyte hard drives. At the same time if you purchase a "disk game", you will be punished by having to keep putting the "disk game" into the "Disk Drive" regardless of uploading the game to the hard drive or not.

If you were fortunate enough to have a ps3 or xbox 360 then you'd know towards the end of their glory days, the hard drive began to get larger, and this left people scratching their heads with what to do with them. Now you don't have to buy a single "disk game" when you purchase a New Console, you can just download everything.

"Disk Games" are being devalued extremely fast now a days. After the first 30 days of a new game being on game shelves the value drops by nearly 60%, and this is for the new consoles. You can imagine how used game trade businesses like Game Stop and Game Zone, are punishing their customers.

My Question is, who do you think will make an example first to encourage their customer bases, to begin to download their games only, Sony or Microsoft this holiday season, because there is going to a serious backlash and lack of consumer confidence coming soon. The most likely candidate to receive this title is Microsoft because they are just adding "Backwards Compatibility" to their Xbox One console, where as Sony for the obvious reason of this discussion has declined to do so.

Backwards compatibility isn't a bad thing. Its pushing Backwards Compatibility right now when there is serious abuse happening to customers that are still choosing to purchase "disk games", for these newer 500 + Gig preloaded console systems. Sony right now has acted to mitigate this issue with allowing "Cross Buy" whatever its called, by downloading a game, and letting them download a game for other console versions. Right now people don't see the issue of downloading versus buying "disk games" for the console as a big deal, but this is becoming more of an issue.

Have you visited a Game Stop or a Game Zone lately, the value of used games has dropped considerably (that is versus the end of the 30 day warranty you receive when you purchase a "disk game" versus downloading for newer consoles), (Game Stop/Game Zone have added more "Retro Classic" games, to mitigate this issue with customers, but there is still a major backlash coming, and I believe everyone is going to choose Microsoft as the scapegoat, just like everyone choose "Game Gear" as the scapegoat for a series of restructuring problems in the recent past of gaming history).

This Holiday Season there is the greatest divide of third parties supporting either console. More companies are supporting Sony, and considerably less are supporting Microsoft at this moment. Sony right now is whole-selling the label of customer abuse to Microsoft, many game reviewers are also pinning this on Microsoft in a slew of subtle ways. Now we can see the sells of the Microsoft consoles dropping more versus Sony than it has in the past, and this will unfortunately continue to happen.

The only way this negative campaign with Microsoft will be stopped, is if it refuses to manufacture any more "disk games" for the "Xbox One" console. Hate to say it, but the theme with Microsoft right now is very simple: Make Customers bare the cost for bad distribution decisions, and if they complain, remind them how big and powerful the windows platform is, and how guilty you are of piracy. Sorry but this will only get worse for you, very soon. (Remember what happened to Game Gear, many of those consoles were just sitting on the shelves at the holiday season and people were just scratching their heads, then they pulled it off the shelves like the "virtual gameboy". Speaking of which Sony has projected the definitive failure of marketing and consoles for the Xbox One, in time for the release of their "virtual headset accessory", so it has become a big joke or the repetition of a previous pattern from a previous gaming generation).

Last edited by yeshuachrist,
Reactions: MrCokeacola

frogboy

lacking both style and grace
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The minute I stop being able to sell games I've beaten is the minute I strongly consider any future video-game related purchases.

idk. just how i roll. i mean, of COURSE there will be titles you know you'll enjoy for a long time... in an all-digital world, i feel like people would rely a lot more on reviews.

yeshuachrist

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eventually all of these "Remakes and Re-licensed/Re-Published" games, and these much larger hard drives will produce the tipping point, of attacking consumer confidence (we've began to see some of this now, people just don't trade in the previous console during an upgrade anymore, they try to trade or sell more than that, even if that means being being robbed in the resell). "Why do "disk games" and downloads cost the same if I still have to be bothered with popping a "disk game" in the console everytime I play". "Why do "disk games" cost $10 and downloads cost $50, or why do "disk games" cost $50 and downloads cost $10". There is simply more pressure now, then there has been in any previous holiday season. Hopefully this Holiday Season is the tipping point and we can begin to see past this.

Sony is publishing the entire line of Resident Evil games from the Nintendo Wii, that is a tremendous blow in consumer confidence if you own that system, or if you own those "disk games" because of the console's longevity. The same is true for Xbox 360 when the XBOX ONE uses "Backwards Compatibility", Microsoft solidifies its position of "robber, and enforcer of higher than retail expectation for the life of the product of a previous generation" (companiens like Gamestop and Gamezone, will continue their relatively new practices of lower than normal trade values for this generation console's "disk games", as well as many others, until "disk game" sells are not supported anymore, which many reviewers and even Sony has been implying. (Sadly we have to simply endure this until the Next Generation of Consoles, what I mean is we have to endure the developer publication choices based on the lack of consumer confidence and that will only get worse for the rest of the console life of XBOX ONE and PS4, if the current trends continue, however, at this level, it appears that only the XBOX ONE is being impacted more by this trend than any other newer console ... ... ... ... perhaps because Microsoft is the only current gen company with the reputation for bad development and practices with the Xbox 360's overheating issues, drive and controller failures, as well as power cord failures).

Last edited by yeshuachrist,

yeshuachrist

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(I got "Carpal Tunnel Syndrome" (pain in wrist), from keep having to load "disk games" into a 1 terabyte harddrive, with the game already fully loaded on the 1 terabye harddrive, just because the console manufacturer is pushing "disk game" sells more than, consumer confidence. So I wanted to write Microsoft a letter, and explain to them, that I have a receipt from a legal purchase, and I don't want my medial condition to become worse, because of your business practices. But I'm afraid Microsoft will just tell me to return the game and receive a refund, or maybe your wrist will be broken, because we just don't care about you or your consumer confidence. Which is really sad for them to have to do that to me. The reality is these new consoles are 100% hack proof, so its not like we can just forgive Microsoft or Sony for that matter, as a result of these old complications. Beyond being 100% hack proof, they will likely never be emulated because emulation would require too much horse power, you will simply need a super computer to do that. Right now, I'm learning how not to be beat like a cow by these game companies, or be degraded, in the consumer process, once I do that, then I may actually only buy 3 or 4 games for the life of the console, curbing my spending big time, because of their outdated ways that just don't apply to me as a consumer anymore, sorry but this true, and hopefully many more people will share these opinions and goals in the near future. Perhaps making an example out of Microsoft this holiday season, because they are really pushing these old consumer traditions that don't apply anymore to this generation.)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: ack slow wifi