Newell opens up on Half-Life 3 dev issues

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Time travel isn't exactly out of the question either. I mean the Half-Life universe is a pretty crazy place.

And Gordon, with Chell and GLaDOS reach out to parallel dimensions and assemble a team like no other. The surviving Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2 characters and the champions of Dota 2, with Gordon's crowbar and Chell's portal gun, give the Combines an incredibly ass whooping and tell G-Man to shove it up his ass.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...So basically it's the story that's stopping them?

Yeah, looks like it.

I mean they have to be really careful here. I mean look at Mass Effect 3. People hated the ending so much that they've even started trying to get the fucking FCC on the case. For a game's ending. Pretty much everything else with the game was awesome. But about 5 minutes of the game caused immense hatred towards it. Valve can't do that same.

Half Life is incredibly story driven and if they did anything to ruin the environment or characters, then Valve would be eaten alive. I mean there's so much subtle-yet-incredible things about the series that making the games takes as long as they do. Portal is rather similar. There's so many subtleties that it took them like what, 4 years to get around to a sequel? The game itself isn't even that long. The puzzle designs are really well done but I doubt it took them 4 years to do those puzzles alone. And the engine itself is already built for all these games and it's so easily adjustable and changeable that most any development time in that field is probably incredibly short.

And there's some sort of Shingeru Miyamoto quote, like "A delayed game can still be good, a bad game is bad forever" or something along those lines. It's Valve's philosophy.

Reactions: 1 person

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
...So basically it's the story that's stopping them?

Yeah, looks like it.

I mean they have to be really careful here. I mean look at Mass Effect 3. People hated the ending so much that they've even started trying to get the fucking FCC on the case. For a game's ending. Pretty much everything else with the game was awesome. But about 5 minutes of the game caused immense hatred towards it. Valve can't do that same.

Half Life is incredibly story driven and if they did anything to ruin the environment or characters, then Valve would be eaten alive. I mean there's so much subtle-yet-incredible things about the series that making the games takes as long as they do. Portal is rather similar. There's so many subtleties that it took them like what, 4 years to get around to a sequel? The game itself isn't even that long. The puzzle designs are really well done but I doubt it took them 4 years to do those puzzles alone. And the engine itself is already built for all these games and it's so easily adjustable and changeable that most any development time in that field is probably incredibly short.

And there's some sort of Shingeru Miyamoto quote, like "A delayed game can still be good, a bad game is bad forever" or something along those lines. It's Valve's philosophy.

True. I don't know, I kinda figured that between Portal and Half-Life, they were telling the story. They have all the pieces right in front of them, a lot of it is done because the sequels set it up.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night. +1