Producer J.J. Abrams says that 'Portal' movie is being scripted and is "on the rails"

portal.JPG

Once upon a time in 2013, Gabe Newell and J.J. Abrams announced plans for a Portal movie. Not much has surfaced about the project since, until today when J.J. Abrams provided an update during an interview with IGN. “We actually do have a script that’s being written for the Portal movie now at [Warner Bros.]," J.J. Abrams said. "We’re really excited about the take and the pitch, so it feels like that thing’s finally on the rails.”

“It’s got enormous potential for a lot of reasons, one of which is because of the limited narrative of the game, as ingeniously told as it is, the potential of it is so huge," the producer added. "It’s gonna be super fun.”

So it looks like the Portal movie adaptation will indeed happen, although more details about its writers, directors and whether it will be animated or live action have not been revealed.

In the same interview, J.J. Abrams also provided an update on the Half Life movie plans that was also announced in 2013 and that his production company, Bad Robot, was tied to. Unfortunately, Abrams said “the Half-Life thing, we’re not actively involved with at the moment.” And it remains to be seen whether another team will be handling that project, if ever.

:arrow: SOURCE

D

Deleted User

To be honest, the Game itself was a pretty meh experience and the hype of playing it, right at its peak for its Gameplay, was blown out by the Developer's fame.

That said, the morsels of Backstory were interesting, though the darker turn was a little forced.

All in all, I would say the best part of the whole Game is that final ride up the Elevator, and seeing how those Robots actually live.

It was probably also the most Human part of the whole experience.

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
JJ is a hack. A famous and powerful hack.
A master of derivative works.

Will be fecal matter, like most of his movies.

sloppycrap

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
... Seeing the track record, I wouldn't be surprised if this Movie's Plot is based on an International Food Conglomerate gaining power in a Dystopian Future and the key to saving Humanity is a Secret Formula hidden by a Scientist inside a Cake.

Plot Twist: the Cake is a Lie.
Plot Twist Twist: the Cake is a Lie is a Lie.

The "The "The Cake is a lie" is a lie" is a lie.

gudenau

Largely ignored
Trophies
Website
www.gudenau.net
XP
Country
United States
I have like no expectations for this because of who is involved, but it has my attention.

It will likely be either:
  • Absolute trash (Mario movie trash, fun but awful)
  • Alright (Like the Marvel movies)
  • Amazing

I do wonder how often they will end up referencing things like the ratman and such.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sitting here I am not sure how one could get anything resembling "thinking with portals" going on for an hour whatever long film and have it be compelling (much less if we have to do the mystery box thing as well).

As a game. Great fun. As a co-op game. Absolutely wonderful. Could see it being an anime as they sometimes at least manage to get compelling magic systems to do something and you activated my trap card thinking. As the average American film... do we need to go through the list of failed macguffin projects where they butcher a reasonable idea?
Fan films, which in the case of the things linked are more shorts, don't really count either as they can do something interesting and then get out of the way.

Now if they were to do some kind of really hard sci fi (thinking Primer levels) then that could be fun. However about 10000 nerds would see it and that is it so that is never going to happen.

Reactions: Prans

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Sitting here I am not sure how one could get anything resembling "thinking with portals" going on for an hour whatever long film and have it be compelling (much less if we have to do the mystery box thing as well).

Now if they were to do some kind of really hard sci fi (thinking Primer levels) then that could be fun. However about 10000 nerds would see it and that is it so that is never going to happen.
I feel like something like "Cube" could work with the setting of Portal. Some tweaks here and there but the concept has been seen to work.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
people bought discovery+?

I know some companies have been ‘giving it away’, only reason I have it is because of Sky UK giving 1 year away.

will be trash, just dont do it

I think the worst thing that could happen, is that it’s just ‘meh’.

It either needs to be good or so bad it’s good.

Last edited by tech3475,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :blink: