Newbie Questions Regarding PSP!

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by mendusa, Apr 21, 2010.

Apr 21, 2010
  1. mendusa
    OP

Newcomer mendusa Member

Ireland
    Hey all i was just considering getting a PSP after seeing a youtube video about how it can be modded to allow to play emulators on it and i have a few questions on it any help\advice is greatly appreciated.

1.Is Ebay the best place to buy a PSP capable of been modded any other sites you can recommend (preferable in UK or Ireland)

2.Is it Difficult to mod the psp itself?(i softmodded my wii would it be as difficult or more difficult than that can you brick them easily?) or i can know a local guy who charges a few euro to install custom firmware is this the jargon for modding your psp would i be best going that route?

3.What PSP do i go for that would be less hassle to install the emulators total noob here all i know is the psp go cant be modded ?

4.The emulators themselves how do they run aslong as the snes and gba emulators ran smoothly I'd be happy but i seen on youtube videos of ps1 games and N64 games running smoothly is it with certain games that this happens?

5.Do you simply hook your psp up to your PC and drag files on to the card when it's modded?

6.Speaking of memory cards do you have to buy an offical sony one I'd probably shell out for a 32gb one if it was the case that i could get ps1 games running on the PSP with no hassle It would be class to play Metal Gear Solid on the move.Is there reputable sites that sell these for reasonable my local game store a 16gb offical sony card is retailing for 80 euro and then i see the same on ebay going for 25 euro could those ones be fake?

7.Does the PSP have a good battery life?

Sorry for all the questions as you can see I wasnt Lying when i said i was a Noob [​IMG].Thanks in advance for your help I really appreciate it (that's if someone answers it [​IMG])

2. Ireland 1

Member Ireland 1 GBAtemps resident Irish

Ireland
    Hi Mendua
    1. yeah ebay is your sfest bet i say or try looking in the buyand sell newspaper or here http://www.donedeal.ie
    2. I modded my own PSP 1000 i had to use a Pandora battery i tried Chickhen but i could not get it to work. It is not too hard
    3. I use a PSP 1000 it works but some apps use more than 32 mb and if you run them on your psp they just crash.
    4. Here is agood guide http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/670970
    5. Yeah just put your games in to the ISO folder
    6. You dont need one but one with magicgate is good look here http://www.dealextreme.com
    7. It has an alright life but you can buy better battreys.

Hope this helps

3. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    Which programs have you found to be 64Mb/Slim specific Ireland 1? Of course some of the emulators like CPS2 have slim differences but most stuff should be ok.

4. Ireland 1

Ireland
    Yeah it was with CPS2 it just kept crashing my PSP, y cousin told me it was my PSP 32 mb of RAM that was the problem.

5. CrashmanX

Member CrashmanX Current project: SD Gundam G Generation Overworld

United States
    1. Yes eBay is a good site to buy a PSP from but I suggest a local gaming store, they usually sell them for about the same price or less
    2. No, if you get a 1000. If you get a 1000 its incredibly easy, if you get a 2000 there's a 90% chance it will be just as easy. However if you get a 3000 or a 2000 with a specific motherboard you wont be able to Hard-Mod your PSP, only Soft-Mod. Basically you wouldn't be able to keep CFW installed, every time the PSP shut off the CFW would be gone.
    3. 1000 is the safest bet, but a 2000 is much lighter and has more RAM so programs like the CPS2 Emulator (Capcom Play System 2, Arcade games) will run better.
    4. PS1 isnt Emulated exactly, its run by the PSP itself so they run at 100%. GBA and SNES and other emulators of that nature run great, no errors. However, N64 emulators arent exactly the best in show. They run great for the most part but some games dont work properly and sometimes they dont work like they should, but it's quickly advancing.
    5. Yep, its pretty east. Just think of the PSP as a flash drive with a specific file format.
    6. Nope, you can buy what ever Pro-Duo you want. Just be careful not to get a "Fake" one, best way to avoid that is to buy it from a trusted source, like Wal-Mart or Target or what ever sort of Tech store you have around there.
    7. Yea, the PSP usually gets pretty good battery life like around 3+ hours.

6. xist

United Kingdom
    It is the case....you need to use alternative processing for the ROM's for the 1000's and if you don't cache them correctly they'll crash. The Slim Version is optimised to use the extra RAM.

7. CrashmanX

United States
    Well thats quite odd then. Because when I downloaded it all I had to do was move my ROMs from MAME over to it and it ran fine.

8. fairlyevenparents

Member fairlyevenparents GBAtemp Fan

United States

9. xist

United Kingdom
    Not really it makes you incorrect or lying - NJ's emulators (CPS1, CPS2, etc) don't require you to cache the games on the slim due to the increased RAM. For the PSP 1000 CPS2 has a need for cached files as well as the original ROM, for which you need to use the packaged romcnv tools to create. This effectively means that playing CPS2 games on the Phat can take up twice the space.

Not many emulators or apps exist solely for the Slim, but some do take advantage of the extra RAM.

10. mendusa
    OP

Newcomer mendusa Member

Ireland
    Thanks Ireland1 and CrashmanX for replying to all my questions.I bought an PSP1004 off ebay last night for a great price so should have it in a few days if i can survive the wait [​IMG].So gonna try that guide Ireland1 recommended and see how i get on [​IMG].

11. Ireland 1

Ireland
    Good luck with your new purchase [​IMG]

12. xist

United Kingdom
    Make sure you're using the correct version for the PSP 1000 Ireland 1. It shouldn't crash immediately.

13. nycsam786

Member nycsam786 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Good luck with your purchase I have modded my cousins and the data that the people have provided above is very accurate. It is easy to do, have fun.

14. CrashmanX

United States
    I dont take kindly to people accusing me of Lying >_>
    Now to answer your question, no I did not have to cache any ROMs, I just put all of my ROMs from MAME straight into CPS2. Now please stop being such a douche and assuming that your always right and that you can never be wrong.

15. xist

United Kingdom
    Of course i can be wrong; however when the creator of the emu himself includes documentation stating -

It's safe to assume that you're incorrect. Heck, anyone can just google CPS2PSP, romcnv and cache and after a second of looking see that you're wrong.

Also good work for just aimlessly continuing a discussion which is of little benefit to the initial enquiry.

16. A hacked Soul

Newcomer A hacked Soul Advanced Member

United States
    I have a PSP 3000 I just got as a gift and it has 6.20.
    Can i hack it?

17. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    no