Hacking Newbie Needs Basic Help!

ngdoherty

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,

Ok - I know these type of questions always pi** regular users off - but if someone can help please do!

My daughter has DS Lite - so I'm trying to hook her up with flashcart and games.
I'm not a gamer - so I've been trying to figure out what I need.

I know everyone has their favourite - from reading thru forums and posts I reckon I'm gonna opt for R4DS.
The cart compare in this forum was pretty excellent.

Now I've seen some "bundles" - and I'm not sure what they are - or if I actually need them :-)

First is :

R4 DS + EZ 3 in 1 Black Rumble Pack + Kingston 2GB TF/MicroSD $90.95

Second is :

R4 DS (R4DS) + M3 perfect Lite + 2pcs Kingston TF 1GB Card $150.95

Big price difference there - but I think M3 ship accessories with their stuff which makes it easier for newbies to get started.

So my question is - if I have the R4DS - why would I need either the EZ3 or the M3 Perfect? Keep jargon to min :-)
Is it just to play GBA games? From what I can see R4DS is Slot 1 and the M3 Perfect and EZ3 are for slot 2 - is this right?
Don't have any GBA games - so are there other advantages in using Slot2?

Let me know what you would recommend - any advice would be helpful.

Thanks,

Neil

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
GBA games are the main reason (I do not know how old your daughter is but I would not be so quick to discount GBA games).
RAM is the other reason. It is used for some homebrew (quite a small selection although some of it is very nice) and the DS Browser (normally via a patch of some form).

The 3 in 1 is a basic cart and allows GBA games to be played. The m3 lite is a bit more advanced and can store stuff onboard and whatnot: more hardware, more money for it. Once you actually get into a game they both perform about the same anyhow (both run just about every game fine and save in them).

If by accessories you mean software/guides that is easily obtained from a casual search then yes the m3 lite will probably beat it:
3 in 1
http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/index.php?tit..._for_EZ-Flash_V
M3 lite
http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/index.php?tit...rfect/Pro/Lite)

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The R4 is somewhat outdated at this point. I'd suggest looking into a different cart simply for the ability to use SDHC cards so you don't max out at 2 GB per microSD card.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Don't get an R4DS. You also don't need a rumble. If you don't want to play GBA games, you don't need the slot2 GBA expansion cart either.

The prices you listed are very high for any cart (much less an outdated one like the R4) except maybe a Cyclo DS (a great card with lots of features that the average person who just wants to play games would never use).

You can get an Acekard 2 (way better than an R4DS) for $28 from dealextreme.com. A 2GB Japanese Kingston microSD card will run between $10 and $15. You can get a DSTT bundled with a 2GB Japanese Kingston microSD card for around $38 from dealextreme.com. An Edge is another decent alternative.

If you want to play GBA games and/or use the Opera browser, add around $14 for a slot2 eWin GBA expansion cart from psxboy.com (it will work with any of the slot1 cards mentioned above).

Of the Acekard 2, DSTT, and Edge, the DSTT is the simplest cart to use, is fast, plays games perfectly, and happens to be the least expensive. The Acekart 2 has a few more features (like you can play GBA games without running a loader program first) and has one of the nicest menus, but is slightly more difficult to use.

How old is your daughter?

By the way, what do you mean when you say that you don't have any GBA games?

-Bri

Rice923

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd go for something more up to date. Many people do not recommend the M3 Real, but I find it to be fine. Also check out the DSTT (top toy). I agree about the rumble; you don't need it. Just get the ram expansion for browsers and homebrew apps. You can also find reviews of some of these flashcarts at the homepage of GBAtemp. I personally don;t feel the need to have GBA games. Some people say they are still good from time to time, but I don't bother with them at all.

SleepingDragon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would also warn against the R4. From personal experience, I would highly recommend the Cyclo DS Evo. Each of my three daughters has a ds, as do I. I learned about the whole flash cart world about a year ago when a friend gave me an R4 to go with my ds. It was a cool new world I was introduced to, until I tried someone else's Cyclo. Whoa, what a difference! Once I tried the Cyclo, I NEVER wanted to go back to the R4. That day, I purchased each of my daughters a Cyclo DS. So, now we have 3 Cyclos and 1 R4. All 3 of my girls love the cyclos and hate using the R4. In fact, when all 4 of us play mario kart or something, we take turns using the R4. And, inevitably, each time I hear the abligatory "Oh, man, is it my turn to use the R4 AGAIN?"

Why, do we like the Cyclo so much more than the R4? Well, first of all, the gui interface is much cleaner and easier to use, especially for kids (my daughters range from 8-11 years old). Second, there have been several times when we have saved something, only to come back and see that it was erased. Plus, customizing the skins and updating firmware is incredibly simple. And finally, and this is a minor pain in the butt, the spring in the R4 microsd slot breaks very easily, making it hard to get out the microsd chip. I have heard these complaints from several other users as well.

The Cyclo DS does everything you could posibly want, it's rock solid, and easy to use. It might cost $5-10 more than the R4, depending on where you buy it, but this is money well spent. And just to let you know, yesterday I ordered our fourth Cyclo DS Evo, so we can perminently "retire" (trash) our R4. Here is some buying info that might help you find the best deal, at least for the Cyclo and microsd:

1.) www.meritline.com - I just bought a 8gb micro sdhc (high capacity) for $62 w/free shipping. They consistantly have the best deals I've found on micro sd and sdhc chips
2.) www.realhotstuff.com - I just bought a Cyclo DS for $51, which was the cheapest I could find. Plus, they have the new black Cyclos in stock.

I know there are a lot of users on this site that swear by the R4 and love it, and I certainly don't mean to offend them. But having used both carts at length, for me and my family, Cyclo beats R4 hands down. Hope that helps.

solange82200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Two words: CYCLO DS. I read alot of little complaints on here from people with other carts having problems when a new game comes out. I have a Cyclo DS, my son has one, my brother, my brother's best friend, my coworker has two for his two sons, and they all work perfectly.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
SleepingDragon said:
Second, there have been several times when we have saved something, only to come back and see that it was erased. Plus, customizing the skins and updating firmware is incredibly simple. And finally, and this is a minor pain in the butt, the spring in the R4 microsd slot breaks very easily, making it hard to get out the microsd chip. I have heard these complaints from several other users as well.

1) I've never had this problem at all, seems to be something on your side.

2) How easily, exactly? After a week or so? I've had my R4 for well over a year, I switch MicroSD cards at least twice a day and haven't had any problems.

Don't just bash something because you've had problems with it.

@Thread

R4DS is outdated and overpriced. It's had it's time, and it still works perfectly but isn't worth the pricetag anymore. Slot-2 is only needed for playing GBA Games (although there are lots of great ones so I would recommend getting one).

Anyway, unless you don't want a plethora of features check out the CycloDS, although if you're looking for something cheap go for the Acekard 2.

Xeronage

Trophies
XP
Country
A simple solution would be the M3 Real Perfect Bundle. Plays both NDS and GBA natively, and doesnt cost more than 70 euros/90 dollars or something near that. Compatibility is near perfect, better than the R4.

The M3 Real Perfect Bundle includes a GBA Expansion Pack, which is a somewhat lesser version of the 3in1(In that the RAM is volatile, ie, erases on shutdown). You can just play GBA games by sending it to the cart and it'll automatically boot it.

http://www.realhotstuff.com/real-rumble-expansion-p-258.html

M3 DS Real - Rumble & GBA Expansion Pak (Cheaper than M3+GBA Expansion and gets you a free rumble pack too)
60 dollars
2GB Kingston MicroSD (Purchasing Option at realhotstuff)
28 dollars

total: 88 dollars, not that bad.

SleepingDragon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wasn't bashing anything, Law. Just giving my personal experience and first-hand knowledge of the R4 vs. CycloDS. I thought that's what a good forum was for?!

DarkWing

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well defending the R4 I guess is what I will be doing.. I have had my R4 for about 3 months now and I am an avid themer so I am constantly taking my sd in and out and have not had any problems.. I got a really good deal on the R4 and SD. Now I have never seen any of the other carts so I cant really compare to them but I was just wanting it for the games and it serves the purpose with flying colors in my opinion..

DW

ngdoherty

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
As the newbie who started this thread I want to thank you all for your advice.

I decided to get the Cyclo DS Evo - from RHS - just ordered tonight so should get it in 4-5 days.

My daughter is 6 - almost 7 as she keeps reminding me :-)
So at the minute its games like Nintendogs and Mario - or something that reminds me of Mario :-)
Also like Brain Training etc... so far from a gamer ... but its early days.

Now some more basic questions.

Firstly - will I need any kit other that what I get with the Cyclo DS and Mem Card - either SW or HW?
I order a 2G MicroSD and 4G microSDHC.

Now I know I can't ask where to download games - but is it ok to know what sites to avoid?
Are there sites where I'll get more that just the download on my PC :-)
Just seems to be a lot out there on google.
If you can't answer thats fine - don't want to get into trouble here.

I would like my daughter to be able to load music, maybe e-books etc.. not just games.
Are there any apps that I should be looking to load?

Is it worth loading a web browser - do sites display ok on small screen?
Is FF available or just Opera?

Also any games you would recommend for 6-8 year olds.

Sorry for all the basic stuff again - as I said I don't use DS - although maybe I'll get hooked :-)

Hope you can help - and thanks again for the advice.

da_head

A dying dream..
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Law said:
SleepingDragon said:
Second, there have been several times when we have saved something, only to come back and see that it was erased. Plus, customizing the skins and updating firmware is incredibly simple. And finally, and this is a minor pain in the butt, the spring in the R4 microsd slot breaks very easily, making it hard to get out the microsd chip. I have heard these complaints from several other users as well.

1) I've never had this problem at all, seems to be something on your side.

2) How easily, exactly? After a week or so? I've had my R4 for well over a year, I switch MicroSD cards at least twice a day and haven't had any problems.

Don't just bash something because you've had problems with it.

@Thread

R4DS is outdated and overpriced. It's had it's time, and it still works perfectly but isn't worth the pricetag anymore. Slot-2 is only needed for playing GBA Games (although there are lots of great ones so I would recommend getting one).

Anyway, unless you don't want a plethora of features check out the CycloDS, although if you're looking for something cheap go for the Acekard 2.

totally agree

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, I heard herbert stopped appearing on the show