Hacking Newbie: Legal in US?

supagui0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I was wondering if it is still legal in the US to buy an R4/AceKard, as I heard it was made illegal in the UK. I'm interested in using it for storing all my DS games on one card. Also, can someone point me to a non-shady retailer? Thanks.

UltraMew

GBATemp's Mew PRETENDING TO BE FOXI4 4 A DAY
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.reddit.com
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I was wondering if it is still legal in the US to buy an R4/AceKard, as I heard it was made illegal in the UK. I'm interested in using it for storing all my DS games on one card. Also, can someone point me to a non-shady retailer? Thanks.
Grey line, I have a DSTwo, and it's better, and it is legal, I think.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
none of the new generation of flash kits could be considered legal in the US. not counting the ievo, which shipped blank, all dsi/3ds compatible flash kits ship with a portion of copyrighted rom data used to circumvent the anti-piracy measures. they don't all have to ship this way, but this is how resellers/manufactures help the end users, less questions, less problems, less issues, etc.

i have to agree with that ultramew said, it is a grey area. i don't think it is that big of a concern in the us. if you order a few hundred then you may get noticed. but buying one or two is not going to raise any red flags with the postal service, DMCA, etc.

as far as non-shady retailers. we recommend nds-card.com who is the gbatemp official sponsor. you should also have good luck with www.realhotstuff.com / www.realhotstuff.hk.

-another world

3bbb7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
realhotstuff has always been good. I ordered a DSTwo and actually got it a few days earlier (the US site)
I dont think it matters as another world said if you buy one or two, or even 5.
Also what would they do? Fine you for ordering a game card when they dont even have proof you're using it for pirated content? Maybe you want to run homebrew on your system?

SuzieJoeBob

NOT a New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The way I read the title, I thought you were asking whether or not being a newbie was legal, but I knew that couldn't be correct. As everybody else has said before me, it is a grey area. You aren't going to be arrested if you buy just one or two. If you are buying huge amounts at a time, such as multiples of 50 or 100 units, well...that is another story.

Reactions: supagui0

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn