Hacking Newb to the r4

oval

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay so I just bought an r4 and I need help figuring out. Is is supposed to come without the microsd card or did I just get owned? Also do you need any firmware or something to make it work? If someone wants to provide a guide sorta to how to use this thing it would be appreciated. The box only came with the case with the r4, a string thing, a usb connector , and the r4 itself, but the review on this site said it comes with more. Did Gameyeeeah rip me off?

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Yeah, you got ripped off, in a way. It doesn't come with a MicroSD card and the newer ones aren't meant to come with disks. You can download the firmware from the main R4 site (Although, since I bet you have a fake R4 you probably have to go to the fakes site).

R4 is dead. There are no more firmware updates. A lot of new games won't work. Real R4s aren't sold anymore (production finished), everything called an R4 is just a fake now.

Yeah, you ripped yourself off. Who the hell told you to buy one? Buying an R4 at this point is like buying a damn DS-X.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oval said:
How can I tell if its a fake or not?

Does it say on the box anywhere the URL to go to for updates? If so, tell us what it says and we'll know instantly whether you got a fake or not.

Predator04

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Law said:
Yeah, you got ripped off, in a way. It doesn't come with a MicroSD card and the newer ones aren't meant to come with disks. You can download the firmware from the main R4 site (Although, since I bet you have a fake R4 you probably have to go to the fakes site).

R4 is dead. There are no more firmware updates. A lot of new games won't work. Real R4s aren't sold anymore (production finished), everything called an R4 is just a fake now.

Yeah, you ripped yourself off. Who the hell told you to buy one? Buying an R4 at this point is like buying a damn DS-X.
the r4 is not dead. now with ysmenu

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oval said:
www.r4ds.com is just written on the front without any instructions.

Sounds like you do have an actual R4DS......go here to get the firmware for it:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?act=downloads...e&order=ASC

You will need to buy a microSD card for it. Kingston 1 or 2gig is recommended. DO NOT buy larger than a 2gig card for it....they aren't compatible with the R4.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Predator04 said:
Law said:

the r4 is not dead. now with ysmenu

Other than game fixes which most people won't bother with, it's pretty much dead. Team is dead, real firmware is dead. Don't try and cover it up with YSmenu because most people don't care. In the long run, it's better to buy a better (and cheaper) cart. YSmenu is a solution for those who already had an R4 before it died.

I have no idea where OP got a real R4 from, though (unless there's a fake out there which uses the actual teams URL).

oval

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks Rayder for actually helping. I ordered it from Gamyeah.com like a month ago and it finally came today. Thanks again.

jagerstaffel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Law said:

You know, that bold sentence always makes me laugh. I have to wonder, are you guys playing Disney games or something? No offense, but in my experience, I've not had a load failure so far. This is what isn't 100%, because some people report a certain game won't load while I load and play them perfectly fine (Harvest Moon Island of Happiness, for instance). But what the hell, it works for some, it doesn't work for others. Doesn't mean it just won't flat out work.

And yes, the R4 can't be any deader than it already is. I mean, I'm starting to wonder if that april update was a april fools joke
rolleyes.gif

And can't we put a dmn sticky up on the main R4 forum that says "Do not buy the R4"? Come on guys, this'll save everyone a few brain cells.

jagerstaffel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know, a sticky will help. Because if people buy an R4, then research, what happens when they come to this site? They go "ooh, a R4 forum, guess I'll ask why my clone won't work" and then when they enter the R4 forum boom, bolded sticky on the top that says "DON'T BUY AN R4". It sure as hell would take a brainless idiot to post a question about "Why did I buy an R4" after seeing a sticky like that
laugh.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/sQK1btk8ZUs?si=Z4p2kuM_7fXV7_Ps