New Wii - No GC - BootMii Question

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by TiMeBoMb4u2, Mar 26, 2012.

Mar 26, 2012
  1. TiMeBoMb4u2
    OP

Member TiMeBoMb4u2 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    A friend just bought a new Wii (one without the GC ports), and I suggested softmodding it.
    He attempted to do so, but he said that BootMii as IOS would freeze and not work.
    It's been a while since I've softmodded, so I thought I would ask the experts... Are the new Wii's able to run BootMii as IOS?
    I haven't had a chance to look at it myself, and he's never softmodded a Wii before. So, it could easily be his inexperience.

Just curious...and thanks, again, to all the teams out there that have made Wii softmodding possible!!

:D

2. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

I'm guessing he doesn't know the power and reset buttons must be used to control it.

3. TiMeBoMb4u2
    OP

United States
    That's what I was thinking too. After he told me it wasn't working, I told him to use the buttons on the Wii. He told me, using the buttons "just restarts it or powers it off".
    I'm beginning to think he's on the wrong screen.
    Has BootMii as IOS ever worked with the Wiimote? I didn't think so, but he mentioned something about the screen telling him to use the ( 1 ) and ( 2 ) buttons!?!

4. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

No, that's not bootmii. I don't suppose your friend is this guy?

5. TiMeBoMb4u2
    OP

United States
    I don't think that is him. I directed him to follow the ModMii Setup Wizard.

6. tortuga7

Newcomer tortuga7 Newbie

United States
    Like ive been having the same exact problem i installed bootmii as ios that was the only option i had i downloaded hack pack when i load up bootmii agaig to install WADS and other things my wiimote lost sync i then tried to use the power reset and eject button but the did nothing but power off or resetting my wii is what im i doing wrong is the hack pack the problem

7. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States
    The power and reset buttons as navigation ONLY work in BootMii. You can't install wads from BootMii, so you must be in a different program.

The Wii Remote also does NOT ever work in BootMii. ONLY the GameCube controllers or Power/Reset buttons.

And what "hack pack" did you use?

8. diddy81

Member diddy81 Wii Theme Team

United Kingdom
    the power/reset buttons only work in bootmii as boot2

9. obcd

Member obcd GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Belgium
    @[member='diddy81']

I don't think that information is correct. They work in bootmii as ios as well.

GiantPune's Casper was having issues with those newer wii's, as the version number of several ios on those newer wii's has changed.
    Maybe when launching bootmii, the ios versions are checked as well, and the issue is the same. It's up to TT to tell us if this could be the case?

It might help if you could show him a picture of the bootmii program in action. If he never saw that picture, it's normal his wii buttons aren't working to navigate.

Is he having the proper bootmii folder on his sd card? Is his sd card inserted? I know it sounds stupid, but I have seen cases...

10. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

There is no problem with Bootmii and new wiis. There is some stupid "hack pack" that uses cboot2 and doesn't properly explain what it is, so when people start it using "Launch Bootmii" from HBC and their wiimotes don't work (because they're the new kind) they get confused and think it's normal because we all know wiimotes don't work under Bootmii, right?

1 person likes this.
  11. diddy81

Member diddy81 Wii Theme Team

United Kingdom
    oh i must be wrong then all i know is my wii only have bootmii as ios and when i first hacked it 2 years back the button on the console didnt work that must have been fixed in one of the updates to bootmii i never tried it after the updated version was released

12. FGOD

Member FGOD Wii gaming bitch

Netherlands
    but what i was thinking is, how the hell would you be able to revive a newer wii with a old nand backup if you cannot use the konami code they want for restoring the nand? cause then you would need gc ports... is there another way without the need of using an infectus on the newer wii's?

13. tortuga7

Newcomer tortuga7 Newbie

United States
    Somebullshit on youtube i got it to work this morning used letterbomb

14. Hielkenator

Member Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    LOL, you have a point there. For now there's no use.

15. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    If you are able to access BootMii/IOS, there IS a better way to fix your Wii than restoring a NAND dump.

16. G0dLiKe

Member G0dLiKe who needs a title ;)

United States
  17. TiMeBoMb4u2
    OP

United States
    I would, but it's not mine. It's my friend's Wii (actually his grandmother's...LOL!).

18. DeadlyFoez

Member DeadlyFoez Banned

United States
    Trust me. She wants gamecube ports in a bad way :D

3 people like this.
  19. FGOD

Member FGOD Wii gaming bitch

Netherlands
    you have a good point there, but still, if you want to restore cause you did something and you want your old setup back, it is still handy to do so... i know i did lots of times using bootmii boot2 and not only cause it didn't boot anymore...

20. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    Well it is foolish to do that with BootMii/IOS, seeing as if something happens to go wrong (lose power, random crash etc.), you have no way of recovering, whereas with BootMii/boot2, you can easily just reboot and try again. It's better to just spend an extra half an hour or whatever to get it back to the way it was manually. Or just use SNEEK/UNEEK and keep backups of your NAND setup at various times, then you just copy & paste to go back a bit.