Hacking New Wii Drive Revision Kills ALL modchips!

vettacossx

Wii Theme Team Founder
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
ModSupplier have informed us of a new Wii drive revision in the wild that has rendered all current modchips useless The drive controller chip has been completely removed!

2521d1228530800-new-wii-drive-revis.jpg

QUOTE said:
What they have done is combine the old D1A and drive controller chip in to one which is now called the GC2-D3, as you can see from the photo there is a big blank space on the PCB where the controller chip used to be.

One of these drives will be on its way to the WiiKey team next week and they will of course do their best to work it out, but from what we can tell it could possibly be a few months or longer before it could be figured out as it’s a totally new way of handling drive function, that's just our guess and maybe they will work it out faster. This is all speculation of course for now, but we can see the first generation of chips for these drives being a high wire count such as the D2CKey when they were first released. When we know more from the WiiKey team after they have received the drive and had time to access it, we will make a post in this thread to update everyone on the situation.

There is one good bit of news that we were able to confirm, the console that had this new D3 drive was able to have a D2B drive connected to it and functioned as normal, so they did not make changes to the cable system or anything else. This means that even though there will be no chips for these consoles for a little while, it will still be possible to buy a replacement drive or even a replacement drive board and do something with these consoles.

So far we have not heard any other reports of these drives found anywhere else in the world, what was also interesting is it was found in an Australian console with the serial LAH1098xxxxx, there are already consoles out here that are LAH11xxxxxx and are still epoxy D2E, so from what we can gather they have not started rolling these new drives out in the masses yet and maybe these few just slipped out early. I guess we will know for sure in the coming weeks, if we don’t start to see them in the masses it might still be a little while before the rest of the world sees them.

Source: xiaNaix
http://wiinewz.com/forums/nintendo-news/82...l-modchips.html

This was a post over on theplayground today and I wondered will this effect Homebrew and Softmods or Csm, twilight hack ect???

IronMask

Official WiiStuntman First to Test ciosCorp!
Trophies
Website
ironmaskshideout.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
I would say that this is a direct missle from the big N to say the least. Just a little bump in the road though. I think our team is bigger and better..it's just unforunate that we can't have a few spies within the company to warn us a little ahead of schedule.

Hey it's a dog eat dog world. Who's eating Alpo and who's eating Old Roy?

toastert2003

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IronMask said:
I would say that this is a direct missle from the big N to say the least. Just a little bump in the road though. I think our team is bigger and better..it's just unforunate that we can't have a few spies within the company to warn us a little ahead of schedule.

Hey it's a dog eat dog world. Who's eating Alpo and who's eating Old Roy?

I prefer Kibbles & Bits.. Where's my Big N job application!

Ambuu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well it looks like this is a minor set back, but hackers will get a new modchip going very soon. how long did it take for a modchip to come out after the wii was released?

D

Deleted User

it appears this revision is kinda like a one-off.
Ozmodchips have reported that their newer wiis still havn't gotten any of these, but maybe its going to be delayed in australia?

toastert2003

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess within a month of anyone buying these, there will be one ready... if not sooner. Seems like the Wii chip makers have a pretty good grasp of what runs things.

vettacossx

Wii Theme Team Founder
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
The drive controller chip has been completely removed!

Got a few Questions for you all...

1: How does this effect the softmod Or Does it?

2: Could this drive controller chip be "emulated in software" or in a new "IOS" hack? (one would assume that is how nintendo will now do it?) I read noobwarrior post there is a IOS with "no apparent use yet" so it made me wonder if this was its function?

3: Does this effect the twilight hack itself?
ohmy.gif

vettacossx

Wii Theme Team Founder
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
hey thanks that sums up my queries I had just read about it yesterday and was hoping this would'nt hinder the twilight hack at least! thanks for the prompt response btw! kudos for that noobwarrior! any news on the "unidentified" ios I had read about in the IOS55 thread? again thanks for your prompt responses!
biggrin.gif

denzil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
noobwarrior7 said:
1) it doesn't

2) they just combined it with something else, its still physically there.
You seem to have quite some insider knowledge about this chip that has only been sighted once. Mind to elaborate on how you know that they didn't remove the DVD mode from the drive firmware (ad #1), or that the new combined chip still is vulnerable to be banged into executing other commands (ad #2)?

Drackin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
denzil said:
You seem to have quite some insider knowledge about this chip that has only been sighted once. Mind to elaborate on how you know that they didn't remove the DVD mode from the drive firmware (ad #1)...

If they removed that at all, it would only effect backup loaders, not the act of softmodding your wii and running OTHER homebrew apps. The one-trick-pony for softmodding is the xbox360 so far.

Diffusion

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Drackin said:
denzil said:
You seem to have quite some insider knowledge about this chip that has only been sighted once. Mind to elaborate on how you know that they didn't remove the DVD mode from the drive firmware (ad #1)...

If they removed that at all, it would only effect backup loaders, not the act of softmodding your wii and running OTHER homebrew apps. The one-trick-pony for softmodding is the xbox360 so far.
It would also affect DVDX and any other homebrew that uses DVD discs.
tongue.gif

vettacossx

Wii Theme Team Founder
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
wtf did i miss a ps3 softmod? can someone PM me if they know how to softmod a ps3 because i have an original (plays ps1,ps2 and ps3 games) and it collects dust as it awaits a softmod! Also the 360's dvd drives have ALL been hacked now even that liteon,and benQ ones i read a tut on xboxscene dot com about that but never sourced a solid enough guide to brave exicuting the hacks or flashing anything!
frown.gif
(the psp and wii are easy to mod however!)

Drackin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
vettacossx said:
wtf did i miss a ps3 softmod? can someone PM me if they know how to softmod a ps3 because i have an original (plays ps1,ps2 and ps3 games) and it collects dust as it awaits a softmod!

No softmod for it yet, not even sure if there's a modchip for the ps3. I was searching around for info on them a few weeks ago, but I found no info on any actual real working modchips.

djdynamite123

Master Of Hardcore!
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.djdynamite.bravehost.com
XP
Country
To secure PS3's they are the top notch, although the don't make much profit as well as 360's
Nintendo...on the other hand make tuns & tuns of profit, why? keep their consoles "cheap" hardware is cheap etc, but many love Nintendo for the bizarre titles we have had and the classics that people stick with Nintendo etc.
Even with the modchip world the homebrew softmod world, they make such a profit....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COua5q4CByg