New Wii design- no more backwards compatibility.

Dingoo-fan 32

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
It remembred me the psp e1000 that has no wi-fi to be cheaper
mellow.gif

rehevkor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sounds fairly sensible to me. At this point Gamecube compatibility is not really a selling point, and probably had limited appeal to the vast majority of Wii owners anyway - so why not offer a cheaper alternative?

I however will keep my Gamecube compatibility. I like playing Twilight Princess how it was meant to be played (and maybe one day I will actually finish SM Sunshine)

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im not worried about gamecube games. i AM worried about them patching the holes. i like the ability to say, you got a wii i can hack it. 4.3 had me worried for a minute as well until i got lego indy.

i need some pics to see if i like the idea of a slim wii. but seeing as how my phone is more powerful than the wii, its about time they change the hardware.

Yuan

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
VashTS said:
im not worried about gamecube games. i AM worried about them patching the holes. i like the ability to say, you got a wii i can hack it. 4.3 had me worried for a minute as well until i got lego indy.

i need some pics to see if i like the idea of a slim wii. but seeing as how my phone is more powerful than the wii, its about time they change the hardware.

I don't think nintendo can patch game exploits anymore (at least smash stack, which doesn't rely on save data). But if nintendo still cares about the wii, a System Menu 4.4 or something like will be launched with this model, to at least block letterbomb.

gusmento01

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I have 30 original gamecube games, but no backwards compatibility means I will stay away from it, I would sell my 2007 Wii otherwise to buy the new wii.

Kayot

Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
I have a BC Wii, but I just play the games on my PC at 1080p. By the time this thing hits selves in the US I'm sure I can pick up a CPU (For the cost of the Wii system no doubt) that's strong enough to handle Wii games as well.

I think this is more for new comers hence the single piece plus controller that Nintendo recently started selling. It'll probably have a price drop to boot.

Now that blasphemy known as PSP E-1000 on the other hand. Ewwww...

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Yuan said:
VashTS said:

I don't think nintendo can patch game exploits anymore (at least smash stack, which doesn't rely on save data). But if nintendo still cares about the wii, a System Menu 4.4 or something like will be launched with this model, to at least block letterbomb.

They could block smash stack by patching Brawl in memory as it is being launched (much like gecko codes do). Of course, that might mess up their cheat detection stuff since it would be applying a gameshark code to fix the hole.

TheDarkSeed

I'm a pretentious sack of shit
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd laugh if you could enable GC loading again just by adding mIOS
laugh.gif
(assuming that this new sys is hackable of course

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
VampireLordAlucard said:
The creator of Smash Bros once stated that his preferred controller for Brawl was the GC pad. Shame to see it go.

Not a problem.

http://gbatemp.net/t118933-gamecube-to-wiimote-adapter-cool

Konami may have to do something anyway as all their dance mats plug into the gamecube port.

It may be possible to get gamecube software running on them, although it depends on how much money they put into the redesign.
It definately won't just be a case of installing BC/MIOS as you won't be able to control anything.

If they just removed the ports then hacking them back might be possible, but if they removed functionality from the chipset then there is no hope.

The problem with the Wii has always been that you can't run it horizontal and use the gamecube ports, unless you remove the flap. It wouldn't suprise me if that was one of the reasons that they removed the ports altogether.

If this causes the price of old Wii's and gamecubes to increase then I don't mind. It might be worth selling my gamecube in that case, because right now it's almost cheaper to throw it away.

Evo.lve

All that you could be.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
machomuu said:
nl255 said:
Rydian said:
nl255 said:
QUOTE said:
You are assuming they don't remove GC compatability from existing systems with an update making it so you can either not play newer Wii games, not play GC games, or hack it to keep both new Wii game support and GC support. All Nintendo would have to do is replace the MIOS with a stub.
Considering the current Wii still has the memory card slot and controller ports I don't think they'd do that. With the PS3 the backwards compatibility in the original systems was workable because of the same control scheme and a compatible disc format (the PS3 reads DVDs of course), things inherent to the system... whereas the original Wii model has hardware in it to specifically allow GC games.

Didn't Sony remove PS2 BC from all PS3s with a firmware update?
AFAIK PS3's that had BC at launch can still play PS2 games on the current FW.

I bought my PS3 a few weeks after the Australian launch in February '07 for about $900 (I know, what a rip off!)

It does not work with PS2 games (and I have tried a lot).

Am I missing something here?

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Bladexdsl said:
do you guys realize this is the wii lite version and it's not replacing the wii?
It is replacing the Wii, in Europe.
You guys in America won't see this for a while (or ever).

Edit: Though people still shouldn't be getting mad, there is over 80 million units out there.

MightyGeorge

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
While DSi did remove Gameboy Advance compatibility, at the very least they added new features, while this time Nintendo adds nothing, they only take away features. They don't make this version desirable, they make it less than desirable. And the "Family Edition" is a really misleading tag. I mean, what kind of "Family Edition" console has only one controller? Also, the fact that they replace the existing Wii model is a load of bs. Oh well, at the very least there are about 30 million Pal Wiis over there. It should be possible to find a cheap used Wii.

Ace

GBATemp's Patrick Bateman
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
MightyGeorge said:
While DSi did remove Gameboy Advance compatibility, at the very least they added new features, while this time Nintendo adds nothing, they only take away features. They don't make this version desirable, they make it less than desirable. And the "Family Edition" is a really misleading tag. I mean, what kind of "Family Edition" console has only one controller? Also, the fact that they replace the existing Wii model is a load of bs. Oh well, at the very least there are about 30 million Pal Wiis over there. It should be possible to find a cheap used Wii.

Hehe. I can get my hands on one for about 80 bucks, atm. Getting the older Wii will never be an issue, even in Europe.

And to be fair, I'm pretty confident that we'll find a way to blow the security up on this system, as well.
And when that's done.... WOOHOO! ALL OU R GAEMCUBE GAMES ARE BACK!
biggrin.gif

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
MightyGeorge said:
While DSi did remove Gameboy Advance compatibility, at the very least they added new features, while this time Nintendo adds nothing, they only take away features. They don't make this version desirable, they make it less than desirable.

Wait, don't compare this to a DSi.
glare.gif

This is more like the jump between GBA SP and GB Micro.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu