New Wii design- no more backwards compatibility.

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
Guild McCommunist said:
I guess people won't be playing SSBB on these new consoles.

I seriously can't find that game remotely playable without a Gamecube controller.
It's pretty okay with the Classic Controller Plus, imo.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
emigre said:
When did console revisions turn into corporal corruption. It's not like their throwing excess copies Mario Kart in the pacific ocean. Overreaction no?

you really don't understand how it works no? let me try to make it as much simple as i can for you:

nintendo remove bc from current wii models,
wii u launches with a couple of dd gc titles on estore
no one can play their old gc collection again
no one can buy a launch wii ever again because of price hikes on ebay and everywhere else.

so nintendo not only get profits from launch wii consoles (if brand new) but they get profits from stupid people who think it's cool to buy their games again at more than rrp, sony do it with their titles on the store (you should see how much they charge to download infamous from their store) and it seems now nintendo is going to do the same tactic that sony are doing with their direct downloads, that is the main reason for axing gc compatibility from both nintendo consoles.

i would explain more in detail to make you understand more but it would take a lifetime just to explain the basics so i will just leave it at this just so you can comprehend where the gaming industry is heading right now.

the whole gaming industry will implode on itself if it carries on this way, selling half a game at launch, dlc on launch of the game, selling the full game at more than retail price via downloads on their estores, online passes, it's all there and it's a war against themselves that will destroy this industry if it keeps on going on this way.

skawo96 said:
Does anyone even honestly care about this? It's another trick by Nintendo to raise Wii's sales, as maybe a few people will now rush to the stores to buy the Gamecube-enabled Wiis. Other than that, this is pointless.

QUOTEso they loose the bc on the wiis so no one can play gamecube games on them, so when people buy a wii u and realise that they can't play gamecube games on it, they think "ah the wii have gc compatibility" they buy one of the new ones and realise that it's gone from the new models, one disappointed customer

Gamecube $$Virtual$$ Console

corrected.

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
jalaneme said:
emigre said:
When did console revisions turn into corporal corruption. It's not like their throwing excess copies Mario Kart in the pacific ocean. Overreaction no?

you really don't understand how it works no? let me try to make it as much simple as i can for you:

nintendo remove bc from current wii models,
wii u launches with a couple of dd gc titles on estore
no one can play their old gc collection again
no one can buy a launch wii ever again because of price hikes on ebay and everywhere else.

so nintendo not only get profits from launch wii consoles (if brand new) but they get profits from stupid people who think it's cool to buy their games again at more than rrp, sony do it with their titles on the store (you should see how much they charge to download infamous from their store) and it seems now nintendo is going to do the same tactic that sony are doing with their direct downloads, that is the main reason for axing gc compatibility from both nintendo consoles.

i would explain more in detail to make you understand more but it would take a lifetime just to explain the basics so i will just leave it at this just so you can comprehend where the gaming industry is heading right now.

the whole gaming industry will implode on itself if carries on this way, selling half a game at launch, dlc on launch of the game, selling the full game at more than retail price via downloads on their estores, online passes, it's all there and it's a war against themselves that will destroy this industry if it keeps on going on this way.

They can just buy an used Gamecube then (or old Wii)? They're dirtcheap now, and you often get games to boot. It's also not like the Wii was gonna be produced inifitely, so Gamecube would end up unsupported eventually anyway.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
skawo96 said:
QUOTE said:

They can just buy an used Gamecube then (or old Wii)? They're dirtcheap now, and you often get games to boot. It's also not like the Wii was gonna be produced inifitely, so Gamecube would end up unsupported eventually anyway.

i guess you must have misread that part then?

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
jalaneme said:
skawo96 said:
QUOTE said:

i guess you must have misread that part then?
No, I don't think the price will hike (it never does with old consoles, unless they were extremely rare, or you're looking to find a new one). You can sometimes find Wiis for less than 70$ now, and gamecubes for 30.

Gamecube GAMES on the other hand...
rolleyes.gif

I think I'd stick to the VC prices than buy certain stuff for 100$ and more.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Looks like the DSi (which removed the GBA slot) all over again, with people crying about their lost BC.

People, the GC is long dead, and Nintendo's been MORE than generous to offer us so many years of BC.

It's time to go forward
wink.gif

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
skawo96 said:
No, I don't think the price will hike (it never does with old consoles, unless they were extremely rare, or you're looking to find a new one). You can sometimes find Wiis for less than 70$ now, and gamecubes for 30.

rolleyes.gif

then i guess you don't know how greedy people can get then, unless you were living under a rock do you remember the price hikes for the original 60gb ps3 models? i guess not then, oh and btw enjoy your highly restricted drm riddled overpriced gamecube games on the eshop while i enjoy my 70 physical gamecube games that i can play on my launch wii over and over
smile.gif
yaywii.gif

welcone to the world of digital downloads. :gr8:

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
jalaneme said:
skawo96 said:

rolleyes.gif

then i guess you don't know how greedy people can get then, unless you were living under a rock do you remember the price hikes for the original 60gb ps3 models? i guess not then, oh and btw enjoy your highly restricted drm riddled overpriced gamecube games on the eshop while i enjoy my 70 physical gamecube games that i can play on my launch wii over and over
smile.gif
yaywii.gif

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA you act like I don't have a Gamecube and _two_ Wiis, plus a shitload of games.
The original PS3 models are quite rare, and that's why the price hiked. Did you misread this part, maybe?

unless they were extremely rare

Wiis (and for that matter, GameCubes) are _not_ rare.

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
jalaneme said:
yeah whatever skawo96, i wouldn't stop you buying your gamecube games again, enjoy them, at least you know that your money is going to a good cause eh?
I am at loss of words. What? I told you I already have plenty of GameCube stuff. Why would I rebuy games I have?

VampireLordAlucard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
raulpica said:
Looks like the DSi (which removed the GBA slot) all over again, with people crying about their lost BC.

People, the GC is long dead, and Nintendo's been MORE than generous to offer us so many years of BC.

It's time to go forward
wink.gif

My problem isn't that I can't play Gamecube games, but that I won't have the Gamecube controller ports for games like Brawl and Mario Kart.

The creator of Smash Bros once stated that his preferred controller for Brawl was the GC pad. Shame to see it go.

My biggest hope is that Nintendo will finally release a classic controller that works without the Wiimote, and supports rumble. And maybe WiiU N64 games would support rumble too! Doubt it though.

EDIT: wtf? Is that really the new Wii? It doesn't look any smaller. If it was smaller, and had an integrated power brick, that would be cool. But if is in the same shell, what is the point? Next your going to tell me the new Wii doesn't come with a stand, either. Ya' know, to cut costs..

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India
skawo96 said:
jalaneme said:
yeah whatever skawo96, i wouldn't stop you buying your gamecube games again, enjoy them, at least you know that your money is going to a good cause eh?
I am at loss of words. What? I told you I already have plenty of GameCube stuff. Why would I rebuy games I have?
Forget it. jalaneme has temporarily taken leave of her senses. Just wait for her to calm down.

[mod edit]Try to keep it a little bit classy[/mod edit]

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
jalaneme said:
so the wii and wii u will both now not be able to play gamecube games, once the orignal gamecube console is gone, what are people going to play thier gamecube games? "i know lets recharge them again to play the same games they own!" nintendo says.

complete corporal corruption and greed on nintendo's part, they have enough money as it is and they want...more? don't make me loose respect for you nintendo.

so they loose the bc on the wiis so no one can play gamecube games on them, so when people buy a wii u and realise that they can't play gamecube games on it, they think "ah the wii have gc compatibility" they buy one of the new ones and realise that it's gone from the new models, one disappointed customer.

what we will start seeing from nintendo is "gamecube HD" collections or downloads from their eshop for us to download to make as much profit as they can from us *cough sony*, just look at me for christ sake, i have over 70 legit gamecube games, do you see me buying anything from their eshop that i already own? nope. greed greed greed and more greed.

oh and thanks nintendo, my launch wii is going to be worh much much more now, just watch the prices on ebay soar for a launch console, the excat same thing happned with the orignal ps3 60gb when sony removed bc on new ps3 models, just watch the prices.
Seriously? You expect Nintendo to keep supporting games from GC in every future console they make? I don't remember there being N64 compatibility on the GC.

Think about this logically: Removing GC compatibility reduces required components to manufacture Wiis. Therefore the console is produced cheaper. Therefore it can be sold cheaper. Consumers benefit from a cheaper console which has had one feature removed they didn't want because they had no GC games. Or if they did, chances are they already have a GC to play them on. If not, they'll buy a regular Wii. They won't disappear overnight. Everyone is a winner. Stop complaining about something which doesn't even affect you seeing as you have a Wii with GC compatibility.

MR_COW

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is my idea. What Nintendo needs right now isn't more hardware sales, it's more game sales. I think a lot of people have been investing into used Gamecube stuff with their Wii since it is dirt cheap, which doesn't give them a dime. They can still get used Wii stuff, but it isn't as cheap, so they might just look at the $20 value games instead. Plus, they can save some money now without having to support the Gamecube stuff

Just my conspiracy theory. It doesn't really make sense otherwise though.

Varia

Trophies
XP
Country
Wow, this is almost as pointless as the new PSP :'D
Feels like Sony and Nintendo are having a competition of who sells more hardware at the holidays, and by that sabotaging their next generation consoles sales.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Looks like Link's Awakening was metaphorical.