New Soul Calibur has no multiplayer because it's "Pay-to-Win"

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Jezus f***ing Christ. At first this was sort of a hoax site...like from theonion or something. But it isn't. And I cannot help but feel sad for all Namco employees whose voice was ignored while some management guys snorted too much unhealthy stuff and came up with this. :(

How can you freakin' ignore basic logic in these situations?!

I'm not a fan of free-to-play but I understand it has its place. Pay-to-win is actually a nicely looking money scam or even extortion, so admitting it to be that way is bad enough in itself. But even then, I can understand that if people are having fun with it, I can't really forbid people to play it (though if this gets much worse, governments may have to intervene at some point).
...but removing one of the most basic needs of a fighting game in order to satisfy a model nobody even asked for in the first place? That's just sad. That very argument (you don't want to go up against someone who pays more than you) should be a main reason NOT to go for free-to-play.

*sigh*

Perhaps the worst thing is that I don't even like fighting games to begin with. It's not that I hate them (I have played a couple), but they're just not my favorite. But this sort of thing shouldn't be happening. These sorts of practices not only ruin a well-known franchise but also damage the industry as a whole. Those stories where a child spends a gazillion bucks on items in a free-to-play game may be the exception now, but with this sort of game development, this is only going to get more common. And if it doesn't stop, there may be game rehab clinics in the future where addicted gamers admit they fell in the same trap heroine junkies fell into.
This may sound absurd, but I'm serious about it. In the long run, this may damage our gaming culture far more than any violent game will ever do... :(
The parts not even mentioned: The game has always online DRM and loading a 5 second match (because it's that easy at first - I have no doubt that eventually it will become impossible without paying) takes about a minute. Also, the game uses points to let you play that slowly replenish over 96 minutes. This means you can play for about 20 minutes (half of which is load times) and then you have to wait 1.5 hours if you want to play again, or pay 2 bucks. And there's a massive load time every time you select an option in the menu, want to go back, or well, for basically everything.

Black-Ice

Founder of the Church of Renamon
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Soul Calibur died after III

In IV they got rid off all the good offline modes in exchange for a shit online mode
In V they got rid of all the good characters and replaced them with shittier palette swaps with the same fight style or just deleted them all together.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The parts not even mentioned: The game has always online DRM and loading a 5 second match (because it's that easy at first - I have no doubt that eventually it will become impossible without paying) takes about a minute. Also, the game uses points to let you play that slowly replenish over 96 minutes. This means you can play for about 20 minutes (half of which is load times) and then you have to wait 1.5 hours if you want to play again, or pay 2 bucks. And there's a massive load time every time you select an option in the menu, want to go back, or well, for basically everything.
Hmm...in this case, I actually consider this good news. It would be much worse if the actual game was otherwise awesome in every other way possible. Now it's 'just' going to crash and burn.

(though it certainly deserves a double facepalm: not only is a previously multiplayer-focussed game single player only...it is single player only while having an online requirement)

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
Lets be honest, Almost every game that features DLC has pay to win DLC, or Barbie DLC*. On a racing game, a new DLC car is a kind of pay to win, you pay, use the car that usually is better than stock ones, on a shooter, a gun pack is pay to win, because you kill other players with good DLC guns, and this goes with almost every kind of game.

*Barbie DLC: are DLC that you dress you character just like little girls do with their barbies, usually it is easy to dev, and a lot of barbie players love.

MegaV2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
This is all thanks to mobile gaming cancer. Just like most mobile games nowadays, this game shouldn't be called a game. It's basically just a greedy peasant that keeps asking for money and you have to give him if you want to do anything.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
This is all thanks to mobile gaming cancer. Just like most mobile games nowadays, this game shouldn't be called a game. It's basically just a greedy peasant that keeps asking for money and you have to give him if you want to do anything.
the game in question is a PS3 game. Before the "mobile gaming" era, games like The Sims series were already selling DLC, even day one DLC...

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
the game in question is a PS3 game. Before the "mobile gaming" era, games like The Sims series were already selling DLC, even day one DLC...
You do realize this is above and beyond DLC? Games like these strive to make the game near untolerable (usually with wait times or inane grinding) unless you pay for it. With DLC you usually get a fully functional game at least, even if you don't buy the DLC. Microtransactions, usually not so much.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The only "Sims" game notorious for DLC is The Sims 3. The Sims 2 was DLC-less I'm rather sure, and even without DLC it was a pretty full-featured game.

Also stop with this whole "muh real gaming" bullshit. It's a fucking hobby, most of which you realize is shit. It certainly isn't as prestigious as film or music.

I used to defend gaming as "art" but I find it harder and harder when I realize how fucking awful the fanbase is. It's so exclusionary, so introverted, and incredibly full of themselves. I mean there's movie snobs and music snobs but they're not nearly as prevalent as gaming snobs.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The only "Sims" game notorious for DLC is The Sims 3. The Sims 2 was DLC-less I'm rather sure, and even without DLC it was a pretty full-featured game.

Also stop with this whole "muh real gaming" bullshit. It's a fucking hobby, most of which you realize is shit. It certainly isn't as prestigious as film or music.

I used to defend gaming as "art" but I find it harder and harder when I realize how fucking awful the fanbase is. It's so exclusionary, so introverted, and incredibly full of themselves. I mean there's movie snobs and music snobs but they're not nearly as prevalent as gaming snobs.
This is like watching a movie and being forced to take an hour break every 20 minutes unless you pay extra each time though. It's rather ridiculous.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States

I honestly think it only seems that way because the gaming community has a much larger online presence than film, music, and many other communities. Seriously, how many GBAtemp-like forums do you see out there for movies? How many dedicated news sites do you see out there for music? A number I'm sure, but I doubt there's as much of either as there are gaming sites, forums, etc.

I can't speak for everyone else, but I've rarely ever met gamers in real life who were as exclusionary, introverted, or full of themselves as the supposed majority is online. Everything is going to seem one-sided when you make an unbalanced comparison between something seen a lot online (where you'll see people's opinion firsthand much more often), and something not seen as much online.

Also, seriously, stop with this, "the fanbase is shit, therefore the object is shit/isn't that good," logic of yours. This certainly isn't the first time you've said something like that about a fanbase, and it's totally shit logic. Just because you perceive a fanbase as awful doesn't mean the object of that fanbase is bad or less legitimate of "art status."

Black-Ice

Founder of the Church of Renamon
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The gaming fanbase seems the most retarded because its the fanbase that's most prevalent on the internet.

I can't speak for everyone else, but I've rarely ever met gamers in real life who were as exclusionary, introverted, or full of themselves as the supposed majority is online. Everything is going to seem one-sided when you make an unbalanced comparison between something seen mostly online, and something seen mostly offline.

200% this.
The real villain here is the internet.
The Internet stupid.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
The gaming fanbase seems the most retarded because its the fanbase that's most prevalent on the internet.

200% this.
The real villain here is the internet.
The Internet stupid.

I forgot to specify in my original post that the biggest difference is that you'll personally see opinions voiced on the internet from hundreds of people daily, as opposed to hearing the opinions of maybe a few dozen at most daily in real life. Not to mention that people are much less afraid to be dicks about their opinions online. Couple that with gaming being a much more online-focused community than music or movies, and it becomes apparent why it's stupid to try to compare their fanbases... and even stupider to question their "art status" based on their fanbases regardless.

Reactions: Black-Ice

Dueler

Trophies
Website
dueler.blogspot.com
XP
Country
I quite enjoyed the single player expedition in Soul Blade.
If they did something like that id be game for it but from what I've seen this is just crap.
I'm sick of developers looking at numbers like 1M downloads as if its a good indicator of popularity.
The whole Pay-To-Win thing really needs to die hard and fast, it doesn't serve anyone.

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
When will these people learn that pay to win isn't what gamers with brains want. If they're just after money they should make a cheap 2d ad-supported mobile game.

Probably never. Even though games like Phantasy star online 2 and League of legends show that Free to play & pay models work if they are done right.

Delta517

Its okay...Im a ninja ;)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
So the next Soul calibur game has no multiplayer? Interesting. In related news, The next call of duty wont have guns. The next mario game wont allow jumping and the next zelda game wont have a world to explore, Link will just float around in space for 30hours.

Unless you pay, of course ;)

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably never. Even though games like Phantasy star online 2 and League of legends show that Free to play & pay models work if they are done right.

League of Legends is a real shit free to play model. Having to buy characters which could just be better or wait for them to "rotate" in is stupid. Not to mention skins give you buffs, so it's an edge over the competition you pay for. Dota 2, on the other hand, has all the characters for free and the items you buy are just aesthetic, don't affect the gameplay, and you can earn through the game anyway.

Reactions: Arras

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
League of Legends is a real shit free to play model. Having to buy characters which could just be better or wait for them to "rotate" in is stupid. Not to mention skins give you buffs, so it's an edge over the competition you pay for. Dota 2, on the other hand, has all the characters for free and the items you buy are just aesthetic, don't affect the gameplay, and you can earn through the game anyway.

the ability to buy Champions is completely optional and there are plenty good Champions that are purchasable after completing the tutorial level.
These "buffs" you talk about are hidden passives you wouldn't know about if nobody would tell you like 1 hp less lost from light attacks on skins with sunglasses and really 1 hp is very little to nothing. These buffs don't save your butt at all.
It's like you would argue with somebody about one cent.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Hawaii played it smart and said we're too hot for this land