New Soul Calibur has no multiplayer because it's "Pay-to-Win"

Steena

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Except it's free-to-play, already released, and already has like 1+ million downloads (according to Namco).
Ah, thanks for the correction. Sad to hear it got one million downloads. That's way more than I expected for a system exclusive.

They should just make all games like this. Pay enough money, and Mario floats effortlessly past all obstacles and his body projects a constant spherical hellfire of bob-ombs, fireballs, and razor blades, destroying all enemies in his path.

Hey, look, I beat the game!

Thanks for playing!

Didn't a nintendo investor suggest that people should play a premium to make mario jump higher in the past? Or something along those lines.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States

Steena

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
who cares? if its not online it can be pay to win as much as they like.
I'm not sure you would like it if your favourite singleplayer games suddenly adopted a pay to win system. Being online or not doesn't change the fact that the pay-to-win model affects how elements of the game are deployed, such as progression, padding, repetition.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This game is terrible. I don't know why I still have it installed, lol.
It's a single player SC, which is fine, I play SCII HD and nobody is ever online in that game anymore but I still enjoy it.
You can "hire" other players characters to use in fights when you're low in health for a few seconds to kick ass. That is about as MP as it gets here. (It's not at all)

this however, is plagued (was plagued? havent played it recently) with long loading times when it is connecting to their servers. And it would always come up with errors connecting. ALL. THE. TIME sending you back to the main menu for you to wait 10-30 seconds after each menu choice again. For a single player game, it's unacceptable.

tl;dr this shouldn't be considered a true SC game, they'll make a SCVI someday and everyone will try to forget this one.

edit: Should also add that it's like those shitty F2P mobile games where you need "gems" to fight, after you use the gems you can either pay or wait for them to refill over time. This is nothing new though, Tekken F2P does it too I believe.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isn't the whole point of pay to win to raise your e-peen and lord it over the n00bs you pwn? How do you do that if you're only playing the computer and not other people?

They should just make all games like this. Pay enough money, and Mario floats effortlessly past all obstacles and his body projects a constant spherical hellfire of bob-ombs, fireballs, and razor blades, destroying all enemies in his path.

Hey, look, I beat the game!

Thanks for playing!

So basically make the Super Guide a paid add on?

Mariko

Trophies
XP
Country
Except it's free-to-play, already released, and already has like 1+ million downloads (according to Namco).

I downloaded it too. I even participated in the Japanese beta, but I haven't really played it, since it's essentially SCV, sans fun. I bet that's the story in most cases. People downloaded it, because it's free, realized it sucks sweaty gorilla balls, and never played it again. One million downloads, but how many active or semi active players? Namco won't tell, because it's two: Daishi Odashima and his weird ass neck.

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
Didn't a nintendo investor suggest that people should play a premium to make mario jump higher in the past? Or something along those lines.

He actually suggested Mario's jump becoming lower, so that jumping on enemies and obstacles becomes annoying/not possible, as an "incentive" to buy a 0.99$ jump powerup for that specific level.
Or something.
Even when they are making those suggestions, they are subconsciously always taking something away from the game to accomodate their pay-to-win shenanigans (sometimes the fun part isn't allowed literally, because it's "too much value" and should be instead locked behind paywalls. Scratch that, it should be a non-existent mirage behind paywall after paywall after paywall...)

At least that JoJo fighter of theirs that had microtransactions was boycotted in Japan and failed miserably to the point they aknowledged the issue being with the microtransactions (angrily, while saying they won't remove it but merely rework it, and that's it's here to stay with the eventual US version).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Look at you holding tiny things