New Soul Calibur has no multiplayer because it's "Pay-to-Win"

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If the pay model is "pay for the character you want or use the one we are offering this round, which is technically just as good as the others," then I can see that as being a great model, especially if combined.

On the skins changing something small. If it is truly trivial then maybe, however such things tend to stack and even a slight move is still a move and thus can be called out. However such things would hardly be the worst part of DOTA/MOBA design, indeed such games seem to be built around bad design even though they do not have to be. My favourite one was probably when some people were defending, to the hilt no less, the need to have the option to kill your own (hopefully near dead) towers to deny experience to your opponents.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
the ability to buy Champions is completely optional and there are plenty good Champions that are purchasable after completing the tutorial level.
These "buffs" you talk about are hidden passives you wouldn't know about if nobody would tell you like 1 hp less lost from light attacks on skins with sunglasses and really 1 hp is very little to nothing. These buffs don't save your butt at all.
It's like you would argue with somebody about one cent.
Some skins are quite ridiculous. One of the Twisted Fate skins (the ghost one) makes his throwing cards near invisible. Nidalee has a skin that makes her Q spears near indistinguishable from autoattacks. The Rune system is shit too. You can either grind to unlock characters (which takes WAY too long) OR spend those grind points on runes that are basically REQUIRED if you want to play ranked. Not to mention that you can only have two of those pages (which takes forever to fill anyway) unless you pay MORE grind points. And buying champions is not optional. For one, if you don't you won't be able to choose characters you like and will just be stuck with ones you hate at times, and more importantly, you NEED to have bought 16 characters or so to play any draft pick mode (including ranked). IMO League's F2P model could be worse but it's far from good.

ilman

Gbatemp's Official Noise Eraser
Trophies
XP
Country
Some skins are quite ridiculous. One of the Twisted Fate skins (the ghost one) makes his throwing cards near invisible. Nidalee has a skin that makes her Q spears near indistinguishable from autoattacks. The Rune system is shit too. You can either grind to unlock characters (which takes WAY too long) OR spend those grind points on runes that are basically REQUIRED if you want to play ranked. Not to mention that you can only have two of those pages (which takes forever to fill anyway) unless you pay MORE grind points. And buying champions is not optional. For one, if you don't you won't be able to choose characters you like and will just be stuck with ones you hate at times, and more importantly, you NEED to have bought 16 characters or so to play any draft pick mode (including ranked). IMO League's F2P model could be worse but it's far from good.

By the time I got to level 30 and wanted to play Draft, I had more than 20 champs without spending a cent on LoL.
Runes aren't at all required for ranked. I played without runes up to Silver 3...
And, yes, some skins do give an upper-hand, but if a player has had enough games against such skins(or in other words have enough skill) he can easily see the enemy's projectiles. (and for the TF skin...I had no idea there was such...probably because nobody plays Twisted Treeline :P )

I honestly think that the F2P system in games like LoL and TF2 is the reason they're so massively successful. That's because it're done incredibly right.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By the time I got to level 30 and wanted to play Draft, I had more than 20 champs without spending a cent on LoL.
Runes aren't at all required for ranked. I played without runes up to Silver 3...
And, yes, some skins do give an upper-hand, but if a player has had enough games against such skins(or in other words have enough skill) he can easily see the enemy's projectiles. (and for the TF skin...I had no idea there was such...probably because nobody plays Twisted Treeline :P )

I honestly think that the F2P system in games like LoL and TF2 is the reason they're so massively successful. That's because it're done incredibly right.

To be fair TF2 was already outrageously popular before the F2P update. And even then I'd say TF2's structure isn't perfect; buying weapons is in a way pay-to-win. The difference is that every weapon in TF2 is supposed to be "balanced", meaning every weapon has ups and downsides so it comes down to preference instead of something being purely better.

Also why is everyone jerking on LoL's F2P instead of Dota 2, as I mentioned? Dota 2's system is outright superior.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Because more Lol Players play at the same time than there is Dota 2 players in total.
For a superior Payment system it seems to do something wrong somewhere else ;)
All it "does wrong" is that it came years later and mechanics are a bit harder to get used to. It still has a ton of players. Why it's not as popular has nothing to do with the payment system.

Reactions: Gahars

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Eo3Bh06drc