Hacking new R4DS not working

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
btw are you using the memory card reader supplied with the R4 to transfer data? or are you using your own?

DO NOT use the one with the R4 as it's junk throw it away it's best that you stick to your own brand reader, when did the problems start? when you used the one with the R4 or with your own memory card reader?

i have learnt that it's not a good idea to keep re formatting you micro SD as it will just make the card die out faster, but in this cause i suggest you try to fragment it to see if there is any errors on the micro SD

zesta

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have tried v.1.05 and v1.06 (tried the latest first)

Both have the same issue. Usually it just hangs at "Loading..." which I presume to mean that it detects a card, but cannot read from it. Sometimes I get "SD/TF card error"

I have reformatted the card a few times using my known good card reader. I have never had any problems with reading or writing with the card.

I cannot use HDTach, as I am using a Mac. I have not found a good equivalent for Mac yet.

-Randy

zesta

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh,

and the problems started when I opened the new package and tried to use it for the first time. While trying to diagnose, the problem has gotten worse. I am guessing it is simply a poorly made board.

-Randy

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
perhaps the micro SD is having problems working on a mac computer or parts of the firmware are not compatible? have you tried doing all this on a windows PC? just a thought, have you tried opening the case of the R4 and see if anything has fried on there? or any parts inside look out of place?

zesta

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK...

For grins, I reformatted the card on a Windows machine, and copied a freshly downloaded copy of the v1.06 firmware, and nothing else.

Still the same thing.

It is definitely a bad card.

-Randy

ThadSharpe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just got my R4 today, and had the same problem. Then I copied just the files (1.06) needed to boot the card (not the moonshell folder) and it worked fine.

EDIT: I also had the "can't find card" error because my SD card wasn't in all the way. Maybe just putting the card in and out a few/many times will relax the spring and allow better contact to be made?

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
ah i though it had something to do with moonshell, i was checking out the R4 forums and there was this other person who had problems with moonshell and his mac, zesta try to remove the moonshell part of the firmware and then try to load the R4.

ThadSharpe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Once I got everything running, I did put Moonshell on and everything works fine now.

However, my PC did fuss at me about the included card reader (it wasn't recognizing my USB port as a 2.0, but once I plugged it back in that error went away).

Hard to say what the real problem is, but I would suspect that it is the data transfer to the card... if something gets corrupted, then the DS won't boot.

zesta

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope. I tried with just the _DS_MENU.DAT, same thing. It sometimes will load, and sometimes not.

-Randy

Krayzzie77

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey Zesta... this has happened to me also...

i just got my card a week ago and all of a sudden it just start hanging on the "Loading" black screen... i tried a lot of different things, none worked.

then i just took the cartridge out and squeezed it a little.... then IT WORKED!

weried... i really hope it doesnt happen again

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
i just got the R4 DS today in the mail, lets see if i have any problems like this...

edit: everything running smoothly, no problems so far, it's a very easy to setup
biggrin.gif

Noobix

Trophies
XP
Country
Well this thread had me a bit worried since I received my four R4DS's from Winsunx on Monday, but the micro SD cards only arrived this morning!

Happy to say tested them all and no problems what-so-ever.
grog.gif

Seems like you just got unlucky and have a defective cart. Best thing would be to return it for a replacement.
unsure.gif

wastedyeti

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh god i just got mine today and i have the SD/TF card error!
cry.gif
Ok so I have a DS Phat. R4DS and a SanDisk TransFlash 128mb made in Taiwan. I'm so bumbed. Its a rainy day and everything!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-