awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
suprgamr232 said:
I must admit I loved the PSX and the PS2, but ever since then Sony has been failing and failing hard. It's just a matter of time until they fail with this.
I agree. The PS3 was descent, but only survived because the competition sucked.

With the PS3, they failed hard (I own one, and like it), but it's run was only good from around the PS3 Slim to when it got hacked.

stinkoman

Magnificent Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OmegaVesko said:
Pfft. Isn't that what they did with the PSP? NOTHING is unhackable, the worst they could do it make the hacking process take a bit longer.
This is exactly what they did with the PSP. Just accept your fate, Sony.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
chao1212 said:
OmegaVesko said:
Pfft. Isn't that what they did with the PSP? NOTHING is unhackable, the worst they could do it make the hacking process take a bit longer.
This is exactly what they did with the PSP. Just accept your fate, Sony.

You do realize the whole point of anti-piracy and trying to prevent hacking is to delay, right?

The more time the system isn't hacked, the more time people will buy games. Even when the system is hacked, the more complicated and troublesome the method is to pirate games, the most games they'll sell. Why do you think people put anti-piracy on games? Obviously it's near impossible to make a game completely pirate proof, but the longer that the pirate copy is away from pirates, the higher the chance that they'll just go out and buy it.

Of course advertising the system has "hack proof" makes it seem more appealing.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Why egg people on? Doesn't matter who. But trying to make a hack-proof console, it's.. it's just impossible. I understand the whole point of it is to delay piracy so you can get profits, but saying it's hack-proof or whatever, will just entice hackers to try even harder, and sooner.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they arnt egging anyone on, they never said anything about it

its all the other sites reporting that a new unhackable PS3 is being released and linking to FCC documents

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I know, I don't mean Sony entirely, I mean people just in general. They egg hackers on and.. well to be honest, I'm starting to get to that point where I don't want to see my favorite console (i mean whatever console in general) fail. It makes me want to go legit and not hack/softmod or anything like that.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Blaze163 said:
At this point I'm starting to think the hackers are only hacking your stuff just to prove they can, like it's a matter of their hacker's honour or something.Actually that is why many hackers do stuff...

QUOTE(Eckin @ Apr 28 2011, 02:21 PM) It's not Sony announcing unhackable consoles, just speculation
Didn't I read Sony claiming they'd come out with new hardware models, back when the USB hacks happened?

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Blaze163 said:
At this point I'm starting to think the hackers are only hacking your stuff just to prove they can, like it's a matter of their hacker's honour or something.
i remember the day the PS3 wasn't hacked yet . no CFW , no backups , nothing . lots of people who owned a PS3 claimed the PS3 was unhackable , no hackers to worry about online etc .
than once an exploit was found , hackers worked extra hard and finally broke the system . and then you read about people saying Xbox is better for this reason [when PSN was down] .

it just feels that PS3s got so much attention because of them gloating about being unhackable . so hackers took it as a challenge , and finally did it .
-sigh-

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Guild McCommunist said:
Here's a long held view by yours truly:

The PSX was a better system than the N64. There, I said it.

Fairy fluff. At the time I was a massive beat em up fan so the only real option was a modded Saturn. Had all the consoles each gen so never missed out on anything.

QUOTE said:
It sold 100 million units because it kicked ass.

Well Robbie Williams has sold 57 million albums compared to Radioheads 23 million, so he kicks arse and is much better. Come on man lazy argument there, you know sales does not equal quality.

You could have mentioned the few great games that where exclusives and how they matter more than the company who's name is on the console.

And TBH I'll admit it, my main thing against Sony has always been how they screw over other companies, and since the late 90s early 00s their customers too. They make the MS of old look squeaky clean.

Odds are the system will be pretty identical to current Slim models, just with some changes to prevent hacking. I don't know what those would be, but they're there.

True, and this time it's not after everyone has stopped buying them.

Z

Zorua

The word 'unhackable' doesn't exist in the dictionaries of hackers.
It may take a while, but it being hacked is inevitable.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Splych said:
Blaze163 said:
At this point I'm starting to think the hackers are only hacking your stuff just to prove they can, like it's a matter of their hacker's honour or something.
i remember the day the PS3 wasn't hacked yet . no CFW , no backups , nothing . lots of people who owned a PS3 claimed the PS3 was unhackable , no hackers to worry about online etc .
than once an exploit was found , hackers worked extra hard and finally broke the system . and then you read about people saying Xbox is better for this reason [when PSN was down] .

it just feels that PS3s got so much attention because of them gloating about being unhackable . so hackers took it as a challenge , and finally did it .
-sigh-

The only reason the PS3 wasn't hacked was because nobody wanted to because of OtherOS. It was quite easy to hack actually, and IIRC it took only a month or 2.

leeday100196

GBAtemp's Official Infernape™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
cwstjdenobs said:
Come on man lazy argument there, you know sales does not equal quality.
So true. Look at Nintendo's latest products ie: the wii and DS. I hate to hate on my favourite systems, but the graphics suck, the gameplay has gotten worse, and now the 3DS can change some of that, and it might for a while, but then the shit games will set in like a virus... and it'll be back to
hate2.gif

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
Zorua said:
The word 'unhackable' doesn't exist in the dictionaries of hackers.
It may take a while, but it being hacked is inevitable.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-time_pad

It's not actually feasible for use in most cases AFAIK...
"the ciphertext will be impossible to decrypt or break without knowing the key"

Didn't a similar situation happen like that... i.e. Sony accidentally left the encryption key in almost plain sight?

Human engineering = human error = nothing will be unhackable.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Linkiboy said:
"the ciphertext will be impossible to decrypt or break without knowing the key"

Didn't a similar situation happen like that... i.e. Sony accidentally left the encryption key in almost plain sight?

Human engineering = human error = nothing will be unhackable.QUOTEif used correctly

Just like a bulletproof vest won't stop a bullet through your heart if you're wearing it on your butt.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And I'm saying it's impossible to use it correctly, because someone will always make one tiny mistake. Besides the PS3/PSP was a special case, most consoles/handhelds are hacked by going around the encryption rather than actually hacking the encryption, in the sense where it's fully cracked.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
its possible that the new systems are just as hackable as the old but that they now have implemented measures for tracking and information gathering on those who are hacking. after the server hack i would assume that the new systems would also encrypt data and store more data locally on the system itself and not on the server. perhaps they have added new hardware or changed the machine code to address some new functions or features that could not have been implemented in a simple firmware update (after all the firmware updates are continually cracked).

it would be funny to find out that nothing obvious has changed and that the new systems are just honey pots.

-another world

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: They really wanna get the head