Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
I've come across something very odd about PowerSaves today. My internet is down due to parents not paying the bill in time, so in the mean time I have to connect to a neighbor's wifi. The signal quality isn't that great due to the distance, but when it does work, all the websites I go to work fine.....Except with PowerSaves. When I go to this page I get an instant 404:

https://powersaves3ds.maximummemory.com/

After checking a website checker I found on Google, it was showing as being down just for me and not everyone. So I downloaded a VPN client. AND NOW IT WORKS?

WTF?

This is the first time I've come across a ISP that seems to be actively blocking a website/service. The ISP in question here is NTS Communications and they provide fiber internet in my area. I used to have them a couple years back, but their terrible billing practices forced us to switch to ***ty DSL. So after the internet went down and I connected to the neighbor's wifi who happens to be using NTS Communications, my PowerSaves stops working.

The program would either end up in a endless loop with it flashing the insert card message then showing the normal scree, but immediately going back to the insert card message or when it does decide to stick, the codes never load and the program wouldn't let me do anything. So I gave up for the day thinking perhaps PowerSaves is just having problems that day.

But today I checked again and it still didn't work. That's when I began to check on the status of the website. I thought perhaps it's being blocked and thought of using a VPN to check. Right after I fired up a VPN client. IT WORKED. The website loaded fine and my PowerSaves worked. I was able to do some code changes and it uploaded and downloaded from the server without a single error.

This means that NTS in my area seems to be actively blocking PowerSaves in some form. Which is odd, I've used things like torrents and stuff and they've worked fine with them back when I had them.

Afterwords, I close out the client and it immediately goes back to not working again.

Perhaps a lot of the issues people have reported in the past was the result of ISP throttling/blocking? PowerSaves has always worked fine on my DSL ISP (Windstream Communcations), but when on any connection that uses NTS, it doesn't work without a VPN.... Something very fishy indeed.

Any one else reporting having to use a VPN to use PowerSaves? Perhaps it's fortunate I am not using NTS as my primary ISP now a days. They have much better bandwidth then my DSL, but f**k. At least the s**t I want to use isn't being blocked...

Marioman65

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Why does the European version of Smash Bros. have badge-enhancing codes...but the American version does NOT?

Those codes would make beating Classic on 9.0 difficulty (for unlocking the other equipment/getting TONS of gold) a relative cakewalk.
That's what I'm wandering as well. They will probably add it one day to USA/Canada

Daniel Sahr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey Everyone I have a quick question. I am a noob so please excuse any questions that may seem obvious to you.
I know that you can read a powersaves backup using PKhex to view certain things. I have been told that you can't re-inject the save back using powersaves. What puzzles me is why expert hackers can't reverse the encryption to re-inject the save using powersaves. Wouldn't it be fairly simple for an expert to release a program that converts the edited save to a .bin file that you could paste in your powersaves backups folder simply press "restore" on your powersaves program. Thanks:wacko:

krisztian1997

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Hey Everyone I have a quick question. I am a noob so please excuse any questions that may seem obvious to you.
I know that you can read a powersaves backup using PKhex to view certain things. I have been told that you can't re-inject the save back using powersaves. What puzzles me is why expert hackers can't reverse the encryption to re-inject the save using powersaves. Wouldn't it be fairly simple for an expert to release a program that converts the edited save to a .bin file that you could paste in your powersaves backups folder simply press "restore" on your powersaves program. Thanks:wacko:

From what I understood so far only powersaves know how to decrypt the file, edit it, sign it then rencrypt it using the specific key for the game, also its almost imposible to find the key used for encryption because of the hardware key scrambler used by the 3ds, no one knows how powersaves found out how to reencrypt the save file

Reactions: Daniel Sahr

Daniel Sahr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I understood so far only powersaves know how to decrypt the file, edit it, sign it then rencrypt it using the specific key for the game, also its almost imposible to find the key used for encryption because of the hardware key scrambler used by the 3ds, no one knows how powersaves found out how to reencrypt the save file
Oh, Thanks! Its a bummer that no one can do anything about it.

Daniel Sahr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible for Datel to get the ORAS demo and look at the code to bring out codes for it right away?
I mean when the actual game is released.
Well, It really depends on how they get their codes and whether it is from a cartridge or the dumped files. You also have to remember that the demo has most of the files stripped and certain things are missing so it may not be the greatest idea to use an incomplete copy to make codes for a full game. I wouldn't worry about having to wait too long as the games work on the same engine as X and Y so it probably won't take long for codes to come.

Reactions: Nyancat

Daniel Sahr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We've already decrypted oras demo saves and it's pretty much the same as X/Y. They should be able to transfer over a lot of their codes when the actual game comes out.
Hey... I just wanted to thank you for all the amazing work you have done for the Pokemon community.:bow:
It is really cool how quickly you were able to decrypt the demo! Nice work and Thanks!!

RagnarokSam

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Dunno, but I sent another code request just now:

"I sent a request almost 2 weeks ago, but never received any type of response. I am again requesting for the badge codes that EU currently has (brawn, protection, and agility) to be available for the US. We already have the folder they belong in titled "Please make sure to create a backup data to return to the original state", but the folder is currently empty for some reason. Thank you in advance for looking into this, and hope to recieve a response soon. Have a great day! "

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @Xdqwerty :creep: +1