New Pokemon announcement coming on Jan 8th

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I am expecting something worse than 50 shades of Pokemon Grey. Mystery Dungeon perhaps or a sequel to snap in 3D.

Wait, the Wii U is a thing so I expect it will be a "get pokemon storage in hd and have battles with them in a nice looking setting but with limited animations that make the whole thing very tiresome within 10 minutes" sort of affair
In new Pokemon game, Pokemon fight U!

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
In new Pokemon game, Pokemon fight U!
2rfc0pf.jpg

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I really don't understand why in every pokemon thread, the same people turn it into something negative.
Or 'pokemon is shiz' can we not just talk about pokemon, not why it supposedly sucks?

The thing is:

1st) Nintendo announces a Pokémon game and people start imagining a dream game(according to their opinion).

2nd) People still remember how they got disappointed with the last pokémon games and start bashing.

3rd) When the game gets released everybody wants to play it, even the ones criticizing it, and the chaos happens on gbatemp.

4th) After few weeks everybody realize how lame the series have been (according to their opinions), and start bashing the franchise every time someone post about pokémon.

This not only happens, but happens in a loop almost every time.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
I am expecting something worse than 50 shades of Pokemon Grey. Mystery Dungeon perhaps or a sequel to snap in 3D.

Wait, the Wii U is a thing so I expect it will be a "get pokemon storage in hd and have battles with them in a nice looking setting but with limited animations that make the whole thing very tiresome within 10 minutes" sort of affair

Pkmn Mystery Dungeon Gates to Infinity is already announced for March release on 3DS.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's also kinda half the reason why I don't play Pokemon anymore. The game stopped in its evolution ages ago - it became dull after Gold and Silver and hasn't changed much since then.

I completely agree. I didn't bother to originally play the GBA generation because I perceived nothing extraordinarily new had changed aside from graphics, and this wasn't enough to entice me anymore. Years later I would buy Platinum thinking that the games had evolved, I found myself disappointed and wanting to play gold and silver again when I got Platinum. I would later go and play the GBA games on an emulator and found that these games barely seemed different than the DS games. Pokemon really did seem to stop evolving after Gold in Silver for the most part.

Then Black and White came out, and while there was some evolution there, it wasn't enough. And, I really question, why after Heart Gold and Soul Silver, they didn't keep in the ability to have a pokemon follow you? The series is so slow with its evolution that its maddening. Heck when they announced Black and White, I expected those games to be announced for the 3DS. I dealt with the reality that they were milking out the large installed DS base and moved on. But then when Black 2 and White 2 were announced again for the DS I was super annoyed.

I know what this series is capable of, and its really annoying that (up to this point anyway) they have done little to lead the way to that capability.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The thing is:

1st) Nintendo announces a Pokémon game and people start imagining a dream game(according to their opinion).

2nd) People still remember how they got disappointed with the last pokémon games and start bashing.

3rd) When the game gets released everybody wants to play it, even the ones criticizing it, and the chaos happens on gbatemp.

4th) After few weeks everybody realize how lame the series have been (according to their opinions), and start bashing the franchise every time someone post about pokémon.

This not only happens, but happens in a loop almost every time.
To be fair, I for one am criticizing the game and I realize that it's lame all the time. I know a few others who follow the same schedule of Pokemon-bashing - we meet weekly, eat cookies, drink milk and talk about world domination.

True story.

Reactions: Latiken

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
Maybe the next game in the series should take a leaf out of the ROM hacker's book and make it...well, better. I'm playing through the Emerald 386 hack lately and A) Being able to catch everything up to that point is friggin' awesome, my dream team is pretty sweet, and B) It's tough as armour plated nails. My team's in the mid 60's and I'm STILL stuck on the 7th gym. Although that may have something to do with my lead fighter Blaziken being badly weak to Psychic type and me not really having a viable replacement for him as Blastoise alone can't handle two at once. Fact remains though that there are some aspects of hacks that just make good sense and give the player what they want. After all, if the games gave us everything we wanted, would we be hacking them to make them better?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pokemon is a franchise I don't see evolving or really should. Most of what makes it popular is stuff that'd be lost in an evolution.

Like sprites, they make the battles quicker than drawn out 3D models and animations. Having Charizard's sprite nudge forward with a slapping sound effect for Tackle is a lot better than watching him run towards the other Pokemon's model and smack him, and then have him run back.

Storytelling, it's the only aspect I think Pokemon has been drifting in a negative direction towards, mainly in Black and White. The stories are bad, the environment and audience are set up in such a way that you can't make a good story. Really, story should be a side thing. Like in the original Pokemon game, there was almost no plot. You were a boy with a dream, you set out on doing that dream. The only real "story" was a continuing rivalry (which only was to lay the foundations of "checkpoint" boss battles to see if you've progressed enough basically) and a side arc with Team Rocket (which only set about some diversity from the standard grind-gym-grind-gym formula). Pokemon Black just layered this boring, awful story with bland characters that cut into the main game. I don't care about N, he's some cunt that appeals to kids. I felt mildly miffed that my journey was cockblocked by this story I don't care about. A lack of story is what made Pokemon good. You didn't have to worry about cutscenes or remembering characters or story points, you could flick on the game and pick up where you were without any issues.

I don't want a 3D open world game because honestly that's not Pokemon nor is there the source material to make it good. It's not an epic enough franchise to make a world like Tamriel. It's a small little utopic world where you watch little green bars go down and little blue bars go up. And that's why people enjoy it or why people hate it. There's no compromise to make everyone enjoy it.

EDIT: As per the complaints of limited Pokemon and such, it's a big marketing swindle quite honestly. Splitting the Pokemon into two games means that you need access to both games to complete them. It's really quite scummy but it works. You'd either buy both or you'd get one and a friend or sibling would get another one. You're selling the same game basically twice to a lot of people. The single save slot is even a ploy. You become so attached to your Pokemon, your save file, that you can't just loan the game out to a friend like your copy of Call of Duty. It's your game. Hell I remember as a kid that it was some deep shit if you decided to replay one of your games or if your save got corrupted. I remember on the ride home from a family friend's house, I booted up my copy of Pokemon Yellow in the car only to be greeted with a save file corruption. My soul died a little that day.

Fitting all regions of Pokemon into one game is like asking for every region of Elder Scrolls or the entirety of the United States in a Fallout game. It won't happen and there's no sense in doing that when you can pace out the same content for 5+ games worth of money. Why make a $60 game with every Pokemon continent when I can make 6 games for $60 with every Pokemon continent? At most I'd wish they let you transfer your character from game to game. You'd keep your badges and your Pokemon from the last game would go in storage until you beat the Elite Four.

Reactions: Chary

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
The 3DS has two feature that could make all the difference: Updates and DLCs.
Imagine if you didn't need to buy remakes any futher than this generation.
Imagine having a DLC that brings all new pokémon, of the next gens to the the game, turning it never outdated.

Imagine having a simple update and bang, it is already fully compatible with the next gen hardware.

That's why I deffend that remakes should be done up to generation 5.
After that we'd only need DLCs and updates for current gens

This is a dream, but I'm afraid it never comes true;
Nintendo is too greedy for that.

A great idea. Problem: Nintendo are bastards. What will actually happen is that they'll release a new game with none of the old pokemon in it, and you'll have to pay extra for DLC to add the creatures from previous games/regions into the new title. Adding an addendum to the legendary 'Gotta catch 'em all' idea of 'Gotta catch 'em all....as soon as you've paid a year's allowance for them.' DLC is as much a curse as it is a joy because jerkweed developers will always find a way to abuse it, like when you buy a game with DLC that's already on the disk. If I've paid for that disk, I own everything on it. I'm not paying for what legally speaking already belongs to me. Fuck you, developers. And fuck Nintendo if they do this too.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All the people who didnt like the story in Black and White are either:
Too simple to engage in any type of direction in a game besides 'shoot this'
Or simply not pokemon fans.

Logic.

Or just like storytelling not designed for five year olds.

They set up a decent antagonistic group, not a great villain but a decent kid-level villain, then just say "NOPE WE'RE JUST SOME GENERIC EVIL TEAM ROCKET RESKIN." Then they introduce N, who you have no fucking clue what his motive is or why this is even relevant. He's not interesting, he's a dumb character designed for the dumb masses.

If that doesn't help, they take away the champion fight you actually fucking want and replace it with N. And you think that's the final boss but no, they make it Ghestis or whatever his name is in a Bioshock-esque bait and switch. Because we cared about Ghestis?

Games with no story are fine, games with a good story are fine, you can't find a middleground that isn't shit. Either don't bother writing a relevant story so you can streamline the gameplay or write a great story that becomes part of the gameplay. Don't have a bad storyline jut into the game like an icepick in your side to interrupt your experience.

Black-Ice

Founder of the Church of Renamon
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

They set up a decent antagonistic group, not a great villain but a decent kid-level villain, then just say "NOPE WE'RE JUST SOME GENERIC EVIL TEAM ROCKET RESKIN." Then they introduce N, who you have no fucking clue what his motive is or why this is even relevant. He's not interesting, he's a dumb character designed for the dumb masses.

If that doesn't help, they take away the champion fight you actually fucking want and replace it with N. And you think that's the final boss but no, they make it Ghestis or whatever his name is in a Bioshock-esque bait and switch. Because we cared about Ghestis?

Games with no story are fine, games with a good story are fine, you can't find a middleground that isn't shit. Either don't bother writing a relevant story so you can streamline the gameplay or write a great story that becomes part of the gameplay. Don't have a bad storyline jut into the game like an icepick in your side to interrupt your experience.
I liked the suprised presented by N and then again by Ghetsis when i was sure i was going to fight the champion,
They didnt just say whatever you put in capitals, ghetsis was the one who remixed everything right at the end.
You didnt understand N because you never put any freaking time into reading the damn text. Its not hard. He's not dumb, you're just too much of a cynical asshole to look at him properly.
You are the one with no middle ground, I have never seen you ever say something is ok, its either ERMAGURD or SHIT.
Don't diss what other people enjoy, especially when your opinion is so wrong most of the time.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country

The storyline was pretty good.

Reactions: Black-Ice

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I liked the suprised presented by N and then again by Ghetsis when i was sure i was going to fight the champion,
They didnt just say whatever you put in capitals, ghetsis was the one who remixed everything right at the end.
You didnt understand N because you never put any freaking time into reading the damn text. Its not hard. He's not dumb, you're just too much of a cynical asshole to look at him properly.
You are the one with no middle ground, I have never seen you ever say something is ok, its either ERMAGURD or SHIT.
Don't diss what other people enjoy, especially when your opinion is so wrong most of the time.

So we're going with the "You just don't understand!!!" defense. I played the entirety of the game.

I'm not a cynical asshole, I like good stories. I don't care if Pokemon has a bad story, just don't make it a point or make it interrupt the game. Black and White did both. I think that's why they downsized it quite a bit in Black and White 2 (although I haven't beaten the game it does feel almost GSC-esque in how Team Who Gives a Fuck is more of a side note than an actual story component).

EDIT: The storyline was good in the same sense the Pokemon movies have good storylines. They don't, you just think they do if you're twelve and/or if you really like Pokemon.

EDIT 2: Also I can't be the only one who felt awkward homoerotic tension when N took you on the Ferris wheel.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Taylor Swift death metal AI cover please lol