• Views 10,340
  • Replies 42
  • Likes 1

Alexrose

Untitled
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, not knowing every aspect of your favourite game in the subcategory [2D retro Mario games], a category of which you are not particularly fond of in the first place. That is totally an ironic thing. That is the epitomy of the word ironic. You clearly understand the concept of irony.

Man, shit, I don't know the name of the clown boss from Super Bomberman, my favourite Bomberman game. Holy shit I must've never completed that game.

Oh wait, sorry, that argument is moot, because clearly when I play bosses that involve jumping four times, I'm busy making sure I memorise the word that's written in the middle of the boss's platform, which could be the name of the contraption and not the boss for all I know.

You're sure winning this discussion where I've repeatedly said I rarely remember names of characters from games (which is irrelevant to the topic at hand), by repeatedly stating that I don't know the names of a character from a game. That's certainly crediting your argument.

Apparently the technology involved in the transition is irrelevant, but the time isn't? It doesn't matter if its 22 years later, its still better looking.

A DE DERPITY SCHNERP DERPLE DERPY DERP.

I'll try and dumb this down for you, because apparently 3 times of saying it just isn't enough.

We were comparing the transition.. between the subsequent games separated by 2 years and a console generation, SMB3 and SMW, to the transition between the subsequent games separated by 3 years and a console generation, NSMBW and NSMBU.

We were not comparing SMW to NSMBU. The whole point of my original post was to show what a fallacy it was to even start comparing SMW to NSMBU. Of course NSMBU is miles better than SMW in graphics, game mechanics and features. But, regardless of what the original artists had in mind and the hardware restrictions at the time, Super Mario World is very clearly much more of a leap from SMB3 than NSMBU is to NSMB, even at a mere glance at a screenshot, let alone the actual gameplay.

I'm not saying the transition from SMB3 to SMW is larger than the leap from SMW to NSMBU. Because that's retarded. Noone ever said that. If you misinterpreted it as that, that's your problem for misreading it over and over again, like it's my problem that I don't remember yet another Mario miniboss's name.

But even if you were trying to argue the latter point, you're going about it a really stupid way.

Both of those screenshots look like every Mario game ever. Holy shit, a platform on rails, that wasn't in Mega Man 1. Or Super Mario Brothers. You're not really showcasing what's changed there.

And again, posting that gif as if it shows anything. The only thing in that screenshot you wouldn't see in Super Mario World are the platforms created by the Wii U controller and triple jumping, from Mario 64. Fuzzies, wow, I haven't seen those before, or moving blocks that get wider, or.. holy shit, coins?! And platforms? Holy fucking shit! And they can fit more of them on screen now with larger screens, larger resolutions and better hardware. It's a revolution.

I never ever for an instant implied that in 22 years they weren't going be able to take the shit they already have and stick more of it on one screen at once. I never said that NSMBU has inferior features to SMW. I said that SMW is a bigger leap from SMB3 than NSMBU is from NSMBW, but you read what you wanted to read: another heathen anti Mario anti Nintendo person trying to insult your sacred company for you to vent all your wrath on, trying to make yourself feel superior as you angrily type "kid" to a uni student as if you feel you're actually managing to successfully be condescending over the internet on a recreational forum where people debate all the time for fun.

And as for the top screenshot, apart from the squirrel suit, in which he's floating, which you can do with the Super Mario World cape, literally nothing on that screen other than the big tree and goombas (rather than koopas), weren't in the screenshot above it in the original post where I pointed out how similar they are. Even the background is the same image, the mountain with clouds, except hd instead of 16 bit. Oh yeah, and who could forget, the big coin is a yoshi coin there. Because now you collect 3 coins instead of 5. As you said, removing something is so innovative. And it opens secret worlds! Because there aren't secret worlds in SMW. What the fuck is the star road, right guys?

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
:rofl:

Enjoying your debate, yet I can't actually figure out what exactly are you both debating, seeing how every few posts, you say the same thing other one said it earlier.
Feel free to keep on, just don't let this grow to a flamewar.

To share my own opinion, I appreciate how Nintendo keeps the mechanics and the core of original Super Mario intact. I prefer these games with less changes to the core, as I enjoy them for what they are, and at the same time, I'm glad they develop different Super Mario games, to keep up the freshness.

That's all I have to say :D

Reactions: 4 people

VinvinMario

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
iBouE.jpg

WOW! That's something I would like to play. Amazing, how Wii U is rendering one of my favourite platformers!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Can I hold it for a sec?