New Flash Kit: Acekard R.P.G. announced! *Update*

zombielove

Trophies
XP
Country
Why are people even mentioning R4? Cyclo DS owned it ages ago. Hell, even the N-Card with the latest firmware is much better imo.

Anyway, this card sounds really awesome.

I want as much storage as possible. Maybe there's enough storage if you just play US releases, but I have heaps of Japanese games (all the cooking games, dictionaries and other training games). They take up heaps of room. And the DS library is only going to grow.

Maybe now I'll actually be able to fit some Mp3s and DPGs on there.

I couldn't really care how much it costs. It's only a one time purchase and that price is going to be the same as buying a few new DS games anyway. Damn some people are stingy.

Open source is definitely something to get excited about. The hardware has all the features I could want. By the time this card comes out I'm sure it will have download play support etc.

n45800

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Any word on when it will be released? or when there will be any more information?
I may have to get this for myself and give my R4 to a friend instead of getting a R4 for him.
unsure.gif

zombielove

Trophies
XP
Country
Just checked the official forums. Someone asked a bunch of questions. But the admin just replied with a "all will be revealed soon" answer.

They could at least clarify whether it's 8GB or Gb.

ryuken

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
these things always looks good on paper, we'll just have to wait till a good review comes out to find out if this is worth our money.

punch1337

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Open source is awesome to allow the community to do its own fixes for game incompatibilities/bugs etc. but the only thing I would be worried about is if there's multiple firmwares out there, it would get confusing/annoying to keep track of which one had what fixes... what if no single firmware has all the features/fixes you want?

Team Cyclo have a great rapport with their forum community it seems, and with their fast updates (at least recently) they have been able to keep on top of things mostly... and the product is great as a result

Having 1 authoritative firmware from the makers of the cart itself could be better than having X number of community-driven 'mod' firmwares, each with different features, fixes & bugs...

Mewgia

drifter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Open source is awesome to allow the community to do its own fixes for game incompatibilities/bugs etc. but the only thing I would be worried about is if there's multiple firmwares out there, it would get confusing/annoying to keep track of which one had what fixes... what if no single firmware has all the features/fixes you want?

Team Cyclo have a great rapport with their forum community it seems, and with their fast updates (at least recently) they have been able to keep on top of things mostly... and the product is great as a result

Having 1 authoritative firmware from the makers of the cart itself could be better than having X number of community-driven 'mod' firmwares, each with different features, fixes & bugs...
I don't really think that will be a problem. Look at something like Xbox Media Center, or PSP Custom Firmwares (probably not the best examples but meh). There's a centralized team building and releasing new versions for each, but anyone can add anything if they want to.
Such is how I envision this. I think that there will be a team, probably made up of people like Chism, Natrium42, Rudolf, Dark Fader, Olimar, and the like. It's probable that they will begin with releasing some no-commercial-rom firmwares, but, as it is open source, this will be quickly remedied.
Open-source=virtually no boundaries.

bullet007

Trophies
XP
Country
I just checked the AK RPG SITE.

ITS 8GBIT, NOT 8GBYTE

http://www.acekard.com/

After 10 month development, we proudly announce the arrival of next generation acekard which called “Acekard R.P.G (Acekard Real Play Gear)”. Acekard R.P.G is revolutionary and all the functions are developed base on the needs of our customers. Acekard R.P.G might not be 100% perfect, but it is definitely the best card on the current market.(The first version called Acekard RPG 8G PRO with on-board 8Gbit NAND and a micro SDHC slot will be released soon.)

interfreak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Taken from the Acekard website:

'The first version called Acekard RPG 8G PRO with on-board 8Gbit NAND and a micro SDHC slot will be released soon.'

So its 8Gbit not 8GByte....

*edit* Just beat me bullet007!!

interfreak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Great minds think alike
wink.gif
Just shows we are smarter than the others on here by doing some simple research from a link that was posted in the original post...

bullet007

Trophies
XP
Country
So it really features 1GByte of onboard memory and microSD slot

still isnt that bad.

Now since the memory has been clarified, it might be cheaper than what people are thinking.....

G

Gilrad

Three things that excite me over this:

Open source. Already stated earlier, if the community takes it and runs, the hardware is the limit.

8gbit onboard. Not for the storage, though. It could be used as RAM, much like how DSLinux uses the onboard memory of slot-2 cards, when loaded from a slot-1. With that much memory, it adds a whole new dimension to the homebrew capabilities.

USB port. Again, not because of the first purpose that comes to mind. Imagine homebrew that can make use of a USB keyboard, or playing QuakeDS with a USB mouse? Or how about a homebrew game that talks to your computer through the usb connection. Again, a whole new dimension to the homebrew possibilites.

Of course, this all depends on how the hardware is implemented. If the latter two points are not possible, then yea, big whoop. I would get one only if Team Cyclo stopped updating.

754boy

:D
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
8 GIGS????? Are u kidding me???? damn, that in itself is enough to hold all the good DS games and alot of the crappy ones too. WOW. I bet this thing is gonna be at least $100

Edit: Nvm, only 8gigabits lol
laugh.gif

sasuke_kun12

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
QUOTE said:
After 10 month development, we proudly announce the arrival of next generation acekard which called “Acekard R.P.G (Acekard Real Play Gear)”. Acekard R.P.G is revolutionary and all the functions are developed base on the needs of our customers. Acekard R.P.G might not be 100% perfect, but it is definitely the best card on the current market.
Someone needs to fire their marketing guy for that last sentence.
i kno that guy who translated it. It was one of the staff at bamboogaming. Lol he wanted me to check it, but looks like acekard released it before i got to check it

anywaiz it looks very promising, i didn't kno it had SDHC support, plus it has 8gbits built in. Its either gonna be a hit or miss. I hope it lives up to its expectations or else its gonna be pretty disappointin

interfreak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This card does sound very interesting, but the support for more poular cards such as the R4DS (on forums, etc) is FAR too big to ignore, so this card wil be fighting an uphill battle to make a name for itself, no matter how good it is.

The bottom line is that most users of the R4DS use it because:
1) Its cheap
2)It can play NDS games extremely well, and has few issues.

and thats all that matters to them.

I for one will not be leaving the R4DS anytime soon...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: ... that's rough buddy