Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
Oh yeah... But what if the dstwo company doesn't come up with an update?
Then buy the real games. Just sayin' LOL As the top of the line atm imho, if this is perma blocked then all will suffer the same fate. And afaik, it'll be quite a while before that happens at the rate it is going.

I really like playing my dstwo on the 3ds cause theres the circle pad!

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
Oh yeah... But what if the dstwo company doesn't come up with an update?
Then buy the real games. Just sayin' LOL As the top of the line atm imho, if this is perma blocked then all will suffer the same fate. And afaik, it'll be quite a while before that happens at the rate it is going.

I really like playing my dstwo on the 3ds cause theres the circle pad!

if theres no DSTwo update then there no flashcards that will work

think all the teams are being lazy and just waiting for someone to make a patch so they can all use the same header

that or there searching through games for one

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Somehow nintendo doesn't really realize that the flashcards only play DS games not 3DS games so there is little to no point in blocking it cause honestly whats the worst that can happen hm? oh someone pirates a DS game and plays it on their 3DS ohhh..they need to be stopped at all costs.
Nintendo most likely fully knows this fact. In fact it's most likely the reason they are blocking the cards. They have the right to protect their products, all of them. Even if it's just for DS piracy, that's still their product they need to protect.
Not to mention these flashcards use romheaders on top of being used for piracy.

We are not obligated nor do we have the right to play pirated roms on these systems, plain and simple.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i wish there was a flashcard maker out there that would release a fashcard DS/DSi mode compatible. that didn't support piracy/retail roms. so nintendo didn't have to worry about piracy & blocking out cards every update. >.>

http://www.amazon.co...S/dp/B002N73PEQ

Exactly what you're looking for.
Actually, an attempt like that was made, and it was called the iPlayer. Its built was similar to that of the DSTwo, its aim was to bring quality homebrew and multimedia applications to the DS. Got blocked, died due to lack of interest.

I knew there was something like that, but couldn't remember it's name. Then there's also the Max Media Player... But that's expensive as hell.

dragonkid6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Somehow nintendo doesn't really realize that the flashcards only play DS games not 3DS games so there is little to no point in blocking it cause honestly whats the worst that can happen hm? oh someone pirates a DS game and plays it on their 3DS ohhh..they need to be stopped at all costs.
Nintendo most likely fully knows this fact. In fact it's most likely the reason they are blocking the cards. They have the right to protect their products, all of them. Even if it's just for DS piracy, that's still their product they need to protect.

We are not obligated nor do we have the right to play pirated roms on these systems, plain and simple.

With how much it cost to release a patch to block flashcards, it's not worth it in the long run since no one who owns a flashcard will go out and buy DS games.

Rizsparky

Saiyan Prince
Trophies
XP
Country
Im pleased the nintendo are releasing constant updates for the 3DS, it gives me more hope for a total revamp of the OS and eshop when the WiiU is released.

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country

With how much it cost to release a patch to block flashcards, it's not worth it in the long run since no one who owns a flashcard will go out and buy DS games.

it costs bugger all to make a patch to block flashcards

they just see what headers there using and add some more random data from the game to check

id say it would take 30mins max to do
then they just add the firmware update that fixes a few system bugs

deadmaker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Maybe it's time for me to buy a DSi... again. -.-

Yeah man, what a fucking pain having to pay money to obtain commercial software.

Easy for you to say since you pay a fair price for them.
Do you have any idea how much a DS game costs in my country? In a direct conversion, it would be around £ 50.

I think you would like to live in Brazil.

Reactions: 1 person

crazyj3ss

hmm
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Actually I know a couple others who have flashcarts yet still go out and buy games. About the only games they download are older ones that are either not in stock around where they live or ones that they'd have to get secondhand anyway. Brand new games are a different matter because they like supporting devs. Over time they may download it but by then they usually have played the physical copy at least once or twice and have long since gotten rid of it.

Just Another Gamer

星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
Pretty sure they do (heck they're probably patting themselves on their backs for this achievement) For all we know they are probably doing it to reduce the number of working cards coughAcekardcough In any case, pirating is still pirating 3DS or otherwise especially since DS games are still being sold. Think of it as more of a stand. Not sure if they are going all out aggro though. I personally think they release these patches because they can. Those who don't pirate won't be affected anyway.

In regards to the analogy, I was just using the original one to demonstrate what I felt to be a flaw in logic. In in that respect, you have to remember that you just added another variable ie environmental impact. If using petroleum were to be ecofriendly and people have found ways to pirate it, would you have the said the same?
Ummm...I don't think you can pirate petrol in the same way you can pirate DS games. But I assure you if tomorrow magically there was a device for $100 that lets your car run forever without petrol I doubt anyone would say thats a bad thing.

The whole stand thing is what I find a little stupid I mean piracy hasn't killed a console at all and other factors play into it as well but look at the DS and PSP they were heavily pirated but they sold well, honestly I find its just them being lazy to actually think of new things to improve their console like being able to play videos more than 10 minutes or something.

I agree they have the right but my entire problem with this is the time between each firmware update they would do stuff to improve the system but all they choose to release is one to block flashcards and nothing else which is both a waste and useless.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I agree they have the right but my entire problem with this is the time between each firmware update they would do stuff to improve the system but all they choose to release is one to block flashcards and nothing else which is both a waste and useless.
You don't have to update. You can just wait for major updates and update then.

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Ummm...I don't think you can pirate petrol in the same way you can pirate DS games. But I assure you if tomorrow magically there was a device for $100 that lets your car run forever without petrol I doubt anyone would say thats a bad thing.

The whole stand thing is what I find a little stupid I mean piracy hasn't killed a console at all and other factors play into it as well but look at the DS and PSP they were heavily pirated but they sold well, honestly I find its just them being lazy to actually think of new things to improve their console like being able to play videos more than 10 minutes or something.

LOL that wasn't my point. OTL I am aware that petrol is some physical thing which cannot be replicated as such. What I was trying to say is that, for the lack of a better analogy atm, imagine if it were to be. People all over the place have been using the "when I pirate, the product is still there" logic to justify their actions.

Yes it's true that piracy hasn't yet killed any console. The reason being that there are people who still pay for games. People often argue that the projected-loss-due-to-piracy argument is BS. I agree to a certain extent since not all who pirate would have bought the games but then there are people who only pirated because they can but will buy if they can't.

A patch solely dedicated to blocking flashcarts is useless/wasteful/stupid TO US. The same way a doorlock or a fence is useless to burglars-to-be. It will cause some inconvenience. Some may be put off. But the determined will eventually succeed. Same thing here.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I am buying a 3DS XL (Red) tomorrow afternoon (September 21st, 2012), and it better come with firmware 4.3.0-10 (or lower) on it, or I'm going to be pissed that I can't juse my R4i Gold 3DS cart. (Latest patch, shows up as Prince Caspian game)

Dark

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I am buying a 3DS XL (Red) tomorrow afternoon (September 21st, 2012), and it better come with firmware 4.3.0-10 (or lower) on it, or I'm going to be pissed that I can't juse my R4i Gold 3DS cart. (Latest patch, shows up as Prince Caspian game)
I'm pretty sure it comes lower than 4.3 since I had to update mine to 4.3 when I got it.

svensonic1

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yeah!
I maked an custom version for R4i SDHC 3DS.
And it works now.
Its not maded by the orginal people but it works on the 3ds its called:
R4i SDHC 3DS =UNOFFICIALUPDATE= v1.62B

:)
Is it the first working card for the new 3ds or ar the other cards already updated?!

Darkrai

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It's time to close this topic, the update has already happened, and we know what it does. The goal here was know whether update brought something new or interesting.

You guys have to understand that arguing about piracy will never go nowhere...

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo is starting to be annoying with these updates.
They do nothing but block flashcards
I would be happy to see a update that give us flash support,
or html5 support,
or/and a youtube app.

Lets list the amount of devices that already do that in the modern household shall we?

1. Your Mobile
2. Your Tablet
3 Your home console
4. (some cases) your TV
5. Your PC

all with bigger, brighter and better screens.

Yeah, I dont think so...

And we had tons if updates that have added tons of features, and were going to get the big Miiverse update sometime within the Wii U launch.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work