Hacking New firmware 9.5.0-23

apoptygma

Trophies
XP
Country
nope it was released publicly in January, and the region free, ram hacks and virtual console stuff etc didn't arrive till around the end of January/start of February.....in Nintendo terms that's a super rapid response

but ofc the actual exploit has been there for years :P
Ah okay. Well a month isn't tooooo bad, for a console etc. etc.

masterzero

Trophies
XP
Country
Assuming nothing broke, if you're a Brickway user, you'll *want* to get this update. Why have a security hole unpatched that you aren't using? Someone could make a web site that bricks your 3DS if you just browse to it.

To be honest, it's probably the Pokemon hacks that prompted this fix. Nintendo probably thought that with memchunkhax and firmlaunchhax fixed that there wasn't much use of the WebKit exploit, but they were clearly proven wrong.

Only that gw users CAN use the browser exploit. It has been adapted some way to pokemon and you can inject pokemon created with pkhex to ORAS scanning a QR code made with pkhex , which makes the browser crash and the pokemon appear in your game

Reactions: cearp and Margen67

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Why did they keep it as 9.5 when there was already a release back in February for 9.5... Shouldn't it be 9.6?
The last number of the version is web browser / eShop version. Since only that was updated, the main version didn't change.
rip 8.1 n3ds users chances of updating their browsers
N3DS uses a different browser anyway, it never had that exploit.

Reactions: cearp

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
nope it was released publicly in January, and the region free, ram hacks and virtual console stuff etc didn't arrive till around the end of January/start of February.....in Nintendo terms that's a super rapid response

but ofc the actual exploit has been there for years :P

what's a virtual console stuff?

The last number of the version is web browser / eShop version. Since only that was updated, the main version didn't change.

N3DS uses a different browser anyway, it never had that exploit.
It does.(did).
what happened to the chances? i don't get it
There are 2 confirmed cases of shutting off an update early updating n3ds console's browsers.
That chance is now gone for the exploit still being in the browser.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
There are 2 confirmed cases of shutting off an update early updating n3ds console's browsers.
That chance is now gone for the exploit still being in the browser.

oh lol i read about that - yeah i forgot thanks.
the chances are that could have been updating more than just the internet browser (for example, system fw titles that are dependent on an exploit, so even though the fw version still says 8.1, theoretically, everything apart from the one fw title that contains the fw version could have been updated.) -- so you may effectively be running 9.4/9.5 whatever, yet it says 8.1.
= i doubt the internet browser was the first/the only thing to get updated, it's not worth a risk i think.

(just my opinion on that situation) :)

Reactions: Februarysn0w

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
oh lol i read about that - yeah i forgot thanks.
the chances are that could have been updating more than just the internet browser (for example, system fw titles that are dependent on an exploit, so even though the fw version still says 8.1, theoretically, everything apart from the one fw title that contains the fw version could have been updated.) -- so you may effectively be running 9.4/9.5 whatever, yet it says 8.1.
= i doubt the internet browser was the first/the only thing to get updated, it's not worth a risk i think.

(just my opinion on that situation) :)

yeah, which is why i think everyone kept quiet about it, and rightly so. :P

Reactions: cearp

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: now i'm not gay, but hear me out