New DSi = New Flashcarts

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by punkyrule, Apr 27, 2009.

1. punkyrule
    OP

punkyrule GBAtemp Regular

Feb 1, 2009
    In a bottleneck
    Ok, so i'm planning to buy a DSi (US Version) this May or June but I still don't have any idea what flashcart i should choose.
    Only one of these carts (AK2i, DSTTi, EZFlash Vi, iTouch 2) are included in the DSi package that I would buy.

Could anyone recommend any good flashcart based on the given flashcarts above? and could you somehow explain why it would be a good flash cart (like perfect game compatibility, presentable GUI, fast load times, updates occasionally)? [​IMG]

Don't even recommend the R4i because i know that the R4 team is already down for a long time now.
    The M3 team would be releasing the M3 "i" some time next month based on their official site but I think the iTouch 2 is made by the same team so I wouldn't know if there would be any difference. [​IMG]

I really don't know what cart to choose because i've only used EDGE (yeah i know it's a CycloDS clone) for about a year now and somehow i feel that there would'nt be any EDGEi or something like that (CycloDS Evo "i"). [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. DeltaBurnt

DeltaBurnt I'm bored

Feb 21, 2009
    United States
    Where intellect matters
    Oh god, please dude just look around. There are tons of these topics all of the forum.

There's even a topic right under yours right now called "best DSi cart?".

3. punkyrule
    OP

Feb 1, 2009
    In a bottleneck
    Oh, sorry. [​IMG]

4. Frederica Bernkastel

Frederica Bernkastel WebPerf and PWA advocate; @antoligy on Twitter

GBAtemp Patron
    Frederica Bernkastel is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 31, 2008
    United Kingdom
    Hinamizawa
    Actually, if you want to buy for cheaper, and be guaranteed that Ninty won't make an update,
    JUST BUY A DS LITE!
    The DSi looks bad, and performs much worse!

5. iwakura

iwakura HHNNNNNNGGGG

Jul 20, 2006
    United States
    California
    Performs much worse...?

6. Awdofgum

Awdofgum Wadofgum

Mar 17, 2007
    United States

Well the battery doesn't last nearly as long but if that's what you mean by worse than it's not much

7. zero383

zero383 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 4, 2009
    Canada
    Vancouver - #1 City in Canada
    The lower battery life is expected: bigger screen + more powerful processor = more energy drain. This shouldn't be an issue for most people. If you're on the road travelling a lot then get a car charger.

8. Spartan A24

Spartan A24 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 26, 2009
    United States
    I have yet to have my DSi battery die on me. I'm sure many of you might need a bigger battery, but I have yet to find the need for one.

9. sphinx.djc

sphinx.djc GBAtemp Regular

Apr 6, 2009
    Canada
    GTA, Ontario
    In regards to the battery life; yes, without a doubt, it is shorter than the original DS and DS Lite, HOWEVER, I find it lasts long when you reduce the brightness of the screen. I remember reading that in the system manual that came with the DSi. I did just that, I dropped the brightness to 2, I can still see everything clearly, I can play in the darkness if I want, and the battery seems to last longer than before when I had it at 3.

10. punkyrule
    OP

Feb 1, 2009
    In a bottleneck
    woah! now this topic is about the battery life of the DSi? [​IMG] , i was just asking about which flashcart is recommended for the DSi... [​IMG]

11. iwakura

iwakura HHNNNNNNGGGG

Jul 20, 2006
    United States
    California
    acekard 2i seems to have the best features/interface/support (with AKAIO), but the Ezflash Vi seems a tad more reliable (won't crap out on you). I've heard the AK team have fixed up the problem though, and many people say the problems were limited to a small batch (despite hearing worldwide complaints). Those two are my candidates right now, but I actually have an itouch2 waiting for me at the post office, which I'll be picking up later in the day. [​IMG] I want to get at least a preliminary review of that out ASAP, so you might be able to see it tonight [​IMG]

12. punkyrule
    OP

Feb 1, 2009
    In a bottleneck
    okay! post your review of itouch2 here if you don't mind. [​IMG]

13. cephalopoid

cephalopoid Member

Newcomer
    Sep 20, 2008
    United States
    I just got a AceKard 2i from stuff4kids. I actually ordered an AceKard 2.1, but they sent me a 2i instead, so, yay for that. It actually made me go out and return my DSLite and buy a DSi.

The AceKard 2i works flawlessly so far, though it has hung while saving DSDoom . . . though that's probably due to emulation.

14. wchill

wchill Resident chillxpert

Jun 12, 2008
    United States
    Actually, AK2is are rushed pieces of shit that fall apart too easily.
    Normmatt himself said so. He's gone through a couple of them.

15. Normmatt

Normmatt Former AKAIO Programmer

Dec 14, 2004
    New Zealand
    I've never had one 'fall apart' but i have had a few carts that stop being detected but this is mainly a connection issue and is solved by putting a piece of paper behind the pcb so its pushed onto the nds connectors better.