new ds lite

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by neotank19, Nov 8, 2016.

1. neotank19
    OP

neotank19 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 1, 2010
    United States
    I'm looking to buy a new ds lite on ebay and I see a lot that are being sold from china. Does anyone know if these are legit or some kind of knock-offs. I don't want to spend alot of money for an imitation. Any information you can share is appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by neotank19, Nov 9, 2016
  2. testerfan

testerfan GBAtemp Regular

May 28, 2013
    United States
    those are all refurbished (no matter if it's coming from China, or US), they take motherboard and the screens from old used system and put them in new replacement shell cases, then sell as New, so you get old system (guts) in new 3rd-party casing. The real new DS Lite, that hasn't been used will cost over $100

zfreeman likes this.
  3. neotank19
    OP

neotank19 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 1, 2010
    United States
    Oh I'm willing to spend the big bucks I just want to find a legitimate one. Unfortunately ebay has a lot of scammers.

4. dpad_5678

dpad_5678 GBAtemp's Memelord

Nov 19, 2015
    United States
    If you get scammed on eBay, you get your money back AND you get to keep whatever they sent you, whether it's fake, broken, etc.

5. slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 30, 2008
    United States
    California
    Check out Amazon. I got mine there. The seller even included an r4. It was 40 bucks. I lucked out. Maybe you will too!

6. foob

foob GBAtemp Fan

Dec 26, 2007
    I do have spare DS Lites, but I'm not sure I am willing to sell them (they are all genuine Nintendo Australia stock). If I do, they won't cost less than 200 USD (in other words, 3DS prices). Australian boxed units come with an AC adapter that is 240V, which typically means it only works in 220/240V countries. As far as i know NIntendo are too cheap to offer worldwide voltage AC adapters (or maybe they just like not to label them as such) but USB charger cables are available on ebay for about a dollar.

The reason I got spares was that I missed out on the Game Boy Color / GBA / Gamecube era (I would love to have some of that original hardware now). Chasing up new retail stock is a pain once they are no longer being made, and newer hardware isn't necessarily better in all areas, even if it's backward compatible. I have never really been interested in second-hand. Anyway, I decided that I wasn't going to let good portable hardware pass me by again.

DS Lite is still my favourite way to play DS games. Perfect portable size. No silly features (camera, etc). GBA slot. DSi made improvements with louder sound and slightly bigger screens (at the cost of increasing the size of the unit) but no GBA slot. DSi also don't have a silly gloss outside surface which I like, so these are definitely worth chasing up as well in my opinion. Then there is the DSi XL (better sound, better battery life, bigger size, gloss outside surface, larger screens, bigger pixels..some like these things, some hate it). All will play DS games at proper native resolution, which is great.

Last edited by foob, Nov 13, 2016
  7. ikral

ikral Member

Newcomer
    Oct 23, 2016
    Croatia
    I like mine so much I carry it with me to work. Don't tell my boss.
    [​IMG]

foob likes this.
  8. SantoshShlok

SantoshShlok GBAtemp Master

Jul 29, 2016
    India
    In your Mind
    I like it